FfH AAR: Bannor

Chapter VII
Spoiler :

Bannor armies were just under Dunwich when more bad news arrived – Without declaration of war, Orcish troops attacked the Kuriotate settlement Spilan. The settlement fell with little resistance. Kuriotate, that were already at war with Lanun, now had one more enemy. Bannor were ready to fight once again as well. Sabathiel send the second note to Bannor governors and citizens, again condemning Orcs, and stating that Bannor will enter war as soon as Kuriotate call them. Secretly, he hoped that they wont be called upon too soon and that diplomacy will settle down this dispute before it erupts into full – fledged war. Even though Sabathiel's judgment towards Orcs proved to be correct, Bannor badly needed peace at this time.

Few days latter Dunwich fell to Bannor troops, and Lanun accepted Sabathiel's envoy-Lanun signed peace, obligated to pay a tribute to Bannor and share any knowledge they have about Erebus in the form of world maps. They still remained in war with Kuriotates.

For the first time in many years Bannor were at peace. Men returned to their homes and started to work on the fields once again. Economy was bad, but it started to recover. Main problem now was the devastated land at the south, in former Doviello lands. Where once were lush forests, farms and villages, now were burnt forests and pillaged land. At some places fire still raged on.

Maintaining law and order in those provinces was extremely costly. Sabathiel made an economic plan. He ordered constructions of Markets and Courthouses in every city. Roads and villages had to be rebuilt. But it alone wasn't enough. Cost of maintaining the Bannor cities was about 170 000 Denarii per month. More than half of that went on maintaining newly conquered cities, and they brought in the least amount of tax in return. For comparison, maintaining government, basic care for poor, military and military state, God King's administration and religious institutions all combined together cost a bit more than 50 000 Denarii. For another comparison daily amount of bread for one small family cost around 4-5 Denarii. But it was in costs before war: War brought in inflation, and all costs were almost doubled. Merchants calculated that inflation rate was around 80%.

To help economy recover Sabathiel planned two things: first was to order Mages to tap more Law magic. To do so they first needed to discover the secrets of Divination.

It improved order and stability through the Empire and reduced costs of maintaining order by around 10%. Mages also tapped one Air mana. That channeled more power into Vallin's Rod of the Winds, and also our Mages and Conjurers taught how to summon extraplanar creatures called Lighting elementals. Few of them were summoned in the village near Torrolerial, to display Bannor strength. A huge storm has gathered and giant lightning bolts sailed across the sky. People flocked out of their homes in firsi in fear and then in awe and disbelief.

Bannor people in awe. Aren't they cute?
Second part was a bit more tricky, but Sabathiel did not have a real choice. He passed a decree that legalized gambling in Bannor act.
Exempt from 'Gamblers Decree':
„It is not gambling that is immoral or wrong. Junil never directly objected gambling. It is what gambling brings that is illegal. Cheating, rigging and bankruptcy... And bankruptcy brings despair, and desperate men will kill or steal to get rid of their debt. (...) So I declare, by the Divine Authority granted by Junil, that from now on gambling is allowed in, and only in, Bannor authorized gambling houses. They have special set of rules that must be stated inside every gambling house. Organizing gambling outside authorized gambling houses is a crime punishable with years within dungeon (...)“

So with each passing day Bannor recovered. Hippus also ended their war with Calabim, and now only war on Erebus was Kuriotates against Lanun and Orcs. Also disciples were sent to spread Order of Junil through the entire Empire and temples were built. That lead to many Crusaders flocking to the ranks of Bannor Army.

But before Bannor fully recovered Cardith Lorda called for conference directly with Sabathiel.

Sabathiel couldn't refuse such plea for help. Not against savage Orcs. So Bannor people were once again at war.

Calabim seem to turn Order in every other game I play. Kinda wierd if you ask me (although not quite as wierd as them turning Empyrean would be).

Calabim seem to turn Order in every other game I play. Kinda wierd if you ask me (although not quite as wierd as them turning Empyrean would be).

Well pretty weird. Kael said it would be like draconian regime still involving blood sacrifice, and it is not impossible that they would turn to Order to fight demons (After all they don't want Hell, they want to keep the world going so they can enslave it) but I think that they should at least lose ability to feast if they become good.

Nah... they're feeding on criminals and heretics, they're practically doing the Order a favour. :p

Pretty good, although could you please remember to put ''the'' in front of ''Bannor troops'' etc. It would just make more sense that way. Also, why are they all in spoiler tags?

Pretty good, although could you please remember to put ''the'' in front of ''Bannor troops'' etc. It would just make more sense that way. Also, why are they all in spoiler tags?

Spoilers are because someone complained that pictures take long to load, especially with 4-5 posts on the same page, so it's probably less annoying to put everything in spoilers.
Heh, grammar ;) I'm not native English speaker, and I do seem to make mistakes with articles in tests. One of the reasons I'm actually writing this is to improve my English. So if you notice mistakes you would do me a favor to correct me ;)

Around 300 played, but this report isn't up to date right now-Dunwich was taken in around 220-230. I'll post an update tomorrow morning. I purposely keep turns as vague as I can, because they could mean years or seasons during peacetime and days or weeks during siege. They aren't vital for the story (Except that they show that I'm a lame player, getting stuff too late :p)

Chapter VIII
Spoiler :

The Bannor took no military operations- for now our only goal was to defend our lands, and with our power it was surely something we could do easily. So even as our troops were mobilized our economy still grew. Soldiers were even happy that they would soon spill the blood of hated Orcs.

Then a message arrived: Sidar joined the war against Kuriotates. Now this made no sense, as they shared no border with Kuriotates, and obviously we won't let their armies cross our lands. The only thing that they could gain in this war is wraith from both Bannor and Hippus. We send all our Crusaders, 7 regiments, to reinforce eastern border. Despite no Sidar man was allowed to travel through our lands the Kuriotate still occasionally reported sightings of them- they surely used their unholy power to travel unseen.

With peace treaty with Lanun, the city of Dunwich became a border itself. South of the city was a tract of land that connected the city with Bannor lands, and on the other sides was Lanun land- the city walls were acting as a border, and guards on the city walls that would spit over crenelations would spit into Lanun lands. One city gate lead to Bannor territory and other to Lanun.

Orcs had a cunning plan- they would cross the Lanun lands and from inside prepare attack. Their catapults struck at the city and Bannor couldn't fight back without provoking war. Walls crumbled, people were killed and finally Orcs attacked the only way they could- in a single, massive wave that was supposed to simply overwhelm any remaining resistance.

They were wrong. They were extremely wrong. Any living Bannor would fight with discipline and courage against any odds- they wouldn't be demoralized by sheer number of enemies, they wouldn't rout and that would often mean victory in the end. But today, Dunwich was defended by greatest Bannor heroes – Sphener, Donal Lugh and our most famed Paladins- Knights of Myrean.

But the Orc army was also led by one famed hero of Erebus-Bambur of Kilmorph. He was one of few Dwarves that survived the Age of Ice. He and his few loyal followers were stronger than many regiments of Orcs. But Knights of Myrean made another heroic deed to bring glory to their city, and defeated Bambur. He was a good Dwarf, it was unknown why would he ever serve the Orcs. He was buried with both Runes and Order honors.

Remaining hordes of Orcs were slain without any significant loses on Bannor side. Divine presence was so strong today that about fifty Bannor soldiers that were simply supposed to be dead, as many witnessed their fatal injuries, were after battle found to be alive and breathing, and latter recovered completely. It was nothing short of miracle for the Bannor people. This great victory raised the spirits of Bannor and crushed those of Orcs.

We strengthen the religious authority in Hippus and Kuriotate lands by trading them Orders from Heaven. In return they give us some gold and teach us Alteration.

A great tragedy happened in Suderholm-An orphanage had burnt down. Like dead children aren't bad enough, their spirits started to haunt the area, and our priests were helpless, unable to sooth them.

But later we thought this maybe wasn't an accident, as two other orphanages also caught fire in two different cities, and at least two other orphanages burned in Kuriotate and Hippus lands. This could be a deed of sick cultists-from now on our orphanages were protected by soldiers.

Alexis of Calabim declared war on Sidar- Sabathiel already foretold that Sidar won't so easily break away from Calabim control. But due to their mutual distance and neither side having open borders with Bannor who separated them, this will probably remain a formality.

Orc leader, Jonas, offered peace to both enemies. He agreed to pay heavy tribute to both civilizations, but Kuriotate had to accept the loss of Sipilan.

Veil fanatics that started their cult in Calabim lands now went into more open action and attacked Calabim Order followers. Even if Calabim Order worshipers are heretics, they are still sworn enemies of the Veil. Calabim government did not help the Order, as it was supposed to do, so city went into open disorder.

We are almost sure that Veil cultists are secretly running the Calabim Empire, and when cult gets strong enough they will acknowledge it openly.
Divine Right was discovered and Sabathiel founded The Institution of Inquisition, led by three Grand Inquisitors that had worldwide fame for their ability to channel divine magic. No major interventions of Inquisitors have happened yet though.

A Great Prophet by the name Aes Sidhe found code of Junil in city of Trinity. That marked, once again, an new era in Bannor history. Soon many pilgrims flocked, bringing in immense income. Sabathiel decided that he must be close to this religious center, so he ordered construction of new, bigger palace in Trinity. Also a construction of great Bazaar to further boost trade in this city. But at that time Trinity already had an great project underway – construction of large shrine to Sirona. Once everything is constructed the Bannor will have more money than they could need. The Bannor society also started to put more value towards Social Order, even if it would mean sacrificing individual freedoms.

Lanun take another settlement, Hag Graef, from Kuriotate. Seeing that Kuriotate can no longer handle this war Sabathiel sent an ultimatum to Lanun – they must make a peace with Kuriotates!

Lanun leadership saw this threat as 'extremely realistic' and had no option but to offer an immediate cease fire to Kuriotate. Memories on recent war with Bannor were still fresh, and they all witnessed what happened to Orcs that tried to storm Dunwich. But honestly Sabathiel didn't expect them to cave in.

I don't have screeshot of the ultimatum as I really didn't expect Lanun to accept, heh. If they refused this story could go very different way...

Valin Phanuel was dispatched to take one small Barbarian settlement, Domir, that was on the very south of Erebus. Soon after Hippus take city of Sludgehome, with our support. We will benefit from strong Hippus presence in the area, especially because of Sidar.

A dragon worshipping cult appeared in the Kuriotate lands. The Kuriotate were unlike Bannor in that they put less value in social order and justice and more towards individual freedoms. So they allowed the cult to form, and no amount of pressure from Sabathiel could convince Cardith to do otherwise. But Sabathiel didn't even put too much pressure –he had divine powers and he knew that Cardith had special connection with some good dragon. Sabathiel was not someone who would mind violating the Compact if violation had good intentions. But Sabathiel said that he won't allow the cult to spread in the Bannor lands.

Kuriotate called for a meeting of a Tripartite alliance. They wanted to start a war against Sidar and eliminate the once and for all. Both Hippus and Bannor agreed and so the war started.

Our seven Crusader regiments, that were stationed to protect the border, were eager to slay the 'undead', or 'ghosts', as they called the Sidar. They crossed the border with confidence.

But they met fierce resistance. They were encircled, Sidar did hit-and-run tactics with horsemen and bombarded from distance with catapults and finally came with their swordsmen and fawns, the protectors of the nature. Few surviving crusaders barely managed to retreat to safety of the Bannor lands.

The Bannor armies running away from 'The Land Of The Ghosts'

Chapter IX
(And they are probably merging Sorcery and Summoning for next version!)

Spoiler :

Despite initial success in pushing out Bannor invaders, the Sidar stood no chance against combined troops of Tripartite alliance, especially with the Hippus chariots storming from the north. The Calabim were also at war with Sidar so they couldn't count on their help. Crusaders defeat might seem as a great one but truth is they were just voluntary, untrained troops. Sabathiel usually used them to protect border cities when no militia was available.

Surviving crusaders retreat to safety of Finnsvik.

Sphener, Ogre mercenary and Valin were sent on offensive, Donal with inquisitors and paladins was kept at Dunwich to protect it from potential dangers.

Kuriotates cultists of dragon tried to spread to Heimseter, but inquisition was called and they were brutally eliminated. Those that refused to repent were sent to real Gods, Junil and Arawn, to judge them.
We discovered gems near new capital, Trinity. Latter we found more gems and copper through our empire.
The Calabim want to trade us furs for sheep but we refuse, we don't want to deal with them. It would be a sign of friendliness. At the same day emissary from Kuriotate arrived and offered us dyes for pigs, and we gladly accept it.

Sphener single-handedly took Vetus, as local defense was weakened by marauding Hippus troops.

Sphener summoned griffons and sent them to weaken Sidar troops that were attacking Hippus. Griffons would rarely actually kill those troops, but sometimes they did, and even if they didn't the defending Sidar units would still be forced to reorganize and reinforce.

Siege of Vetus was a bit tougher as Sidar used creatures of the nature on their side. Fawns were numerous, but still didn't save the Sidar. Shrine of Sirona allowed the Bannor soldiers to heal so it helped them greatly. Valin and Ogre attacked Vetus and then Crusaders stormed in. They captured the city so they were first to enter the place they were routed from just few months ago.

In the Lanun lands Thieves guild was formed. But one Calabim city was taken by civilization we haven't met yet, the Elohim! This is great news, once we can cross Orc or Vampire lands we must meet them.

Another city of the Sidar has fallen. We had assistance of the Hippus. One Hippus chariot wields powerful Orthus Axe. We would do all to obtain it but it is not possible so we will have to bear with it.

Donal Lugh took one barbarian settlement between us and Kuriotate just in front of the Kuriotate Centaurs. Well we are sorry but this settlement is ours.

After last two Sidar cities fell Sandalphon retreated to small town east of Hippus Sludgehome. But Valin came there as well.

When Vallin and his team entered the city, he went towards the main public square, to raise the Bannor flag. Most of Sidar citizens have sunken into the mist, probably ran into the woods or just disappeared. But Sandalphon was standing on the main plaza, near large monument. Valin rose his sword quickly and charged the horse, but Sandalphon spoke.
„Wait. I want to talk.“
His voice was deep and faint, and he spoke in short sentences.
„Why didn't you disappear in the mists like your followers?“
„I could have done so. But I beg you, take me to Sabathiel. I need to talk to him.“
Despite all the stories about the vile undead Sidar, Valin lowered his sword. His team searched Sandalphon and chained him, but Valin ordered them to untie him.
„This is a leader of a nation and a man of honor. We will take him to Trinity as we would take any other leader or emissary.“
No one questioned Valin's orders, even if they thought he is putting too much at stake. Sandalphon could escape anytime, or even assassin Valin. Why would they trust undead after all? Valin had no reasonable answer, but his hunch, Junil's voice inside him, has never failed him before. Even more, he felt that chains wouldn't prevent this man from escaping.
They rode in silence. Only in the evening Sandalphon spoke.
-„You said we are going to Trinity?“
Valin confirmed but it took a second for him to remember a small speech he held this morning.
-„Yes, I'll take you to Sabathiel, why do you ask that?“
-„But Trinity? Wasn't Sabathiel in Torrolerial?“
Valin was confused.
-„Trinity has been the capitol of Bannor Empire for last six years. Ever since a saint named Aes Sidhe found the Code of Junil there. One month later Torrolerial was no longer...“ Valin stopped suddenly. „So yes, that's where we will find Sabathiel. But Mulcarn's curses, how comes you don't know that? Aren't you a leader of a nation?„
-„Time just seems to fly by... So I guess I never noticed that little change.“
Valin realized Sandalphon was detached from this world, and his followers were probably the same. He just wanted to develop peacefully, not even caring about foreign policy or empires. To the point he got his nation destroyed. Sandalphon spoke again.
„I heard about you, though. Your name is Valin. You, Donal and Sphener made some great heroic deeds in the past. Too bad you tainted that in the last few months.“
They traveled for five days. Sandalphon and Valin didn't talk too much, but when they did the conversation was inspiring Valin- Sandalphon was incredibly wise, and while Valin taught Sandalphon about latest news and politics, Sandalphon knew much about history, government, and even philosophy and art. Sandalphon apparently didn't need to sleep so he could make a company to the guards that were doing night shifts, but after two days of traveling through the wilderness they were sleeping in inns and taverns of the Bannor towns anyway. Valin was recognized and admired anywhere they went but Sandalphon traveled incongito.
On the fifth day they came in the large, sprawling Trinity. Sabathiel was already expecting this visit so the guards led Sandalphon inside the sacred chamber.

Any chance of this getting finished before .31 gets released?

No worries. I finished the game today. I just need to write a report (It'll probably take two or three chapters)
I hope that at least an update should be up before 0.31 :)

Chapter X
Spoiler :

The peace conference was held in Trinity. City was more crowded than ever. Pillgrims from the entire Erebus were constantly flocking to Holy Shrine of the Order, where Code of Junil was kept, but many used this oportunity to travel under the protection of elite guards who protected Rhoanna and Cardith Lorda and came to the great city with their loved leaders. Even those who visited the great Kuriotate cities like Avelorn or Naggarond were impressed by the greatness of Trinity, and many Kuriotate residents like Centaurs were impressed by civilization as such. Hippus were impressed by the quality of the Bannor roads. Also, all the merchants were happy that many pillgrims visited the great Bazaar as well. It was late spring and summer was comming on.
Away from the crowd and stunning, tranquilizing heat of the spring day, a conference started. Sabathiel, Cardith Lorda, Rhoanna, Sandalphon and Alexis all sat around the great table that was obviously build for angels. All seemed confident except for Rhoanna. She has been meeting every one of them for a long time now, yet today when they all sat together she realised that she is the only one who is aging: Sabathiel was an angel, who was even getting stronger and younger as he was recovering from his jouney through Hell, Cardith was a boy as always, Sandalphon a pale, middle aged man. But worst of all was Alexis, young as ever, and Rhoanna couldn't even be jelaous as she knew how Alexis obtained that youth.
Sandalphon started:
„Our lands are lost, our cities taken. In the name of all Sidar, I offer our unconditional surrender and ask for a mercy towards us and mother nature we protected...“
Alexis interrupted him:
„The nature? You are undead abberations! You defy the normal circles of the nature! The nature cries every second she is forced to suffer your existance...“
-„SILENCE!“
It was Sabathiel.
„You, Alexis, are the last one who should talk about the normal circles of the nature. And Sandalphon and I already talked about this. So I think we reached a compromise.
Sidaria will cease to exist as an independent state. But it won't be the end of the Sidar. Instead of turning their former lands into Bannor provinces, I will proclaim the Autonomous Region of Sidaria in their former lands, and appoint Sandalphon as a High Governor. He will also be my personal advisor and chancellor. The exact details of autonomy will be decided later between us two, but we already agreed on the main part. They will be a part of our empire and be allowed to continue protecting the nature.
Also, Hippus and Kuriotate have right on reparations. They already stated that they would accept 200.000 Denarii each. That ammount will be payed to them from Bannor treasury. The Sidar are free from any tributes. “
Both Cardith and Rhoanna nodded. The ammount wasn't big at all, it was more like a symbolic payment. Hippus just needed to pay their troops something, and Kuriotates were the ones who called for the war in the first place.
„Also Hippus can add to their nation northern part of Sidar territory, the lands that they disputed earlier, but not more.“
Sandalphon and Rhoanna looked at each other. It was acceptable to both of them. If it wasn't for Sabathiel's immense influence, Rhoanna could ask for more, but if he said it's enough, it was enough.
But Alexis was enraged
„You say we get nothing? What?
Alexis was furious. But she had something in mind.
„There is something you could do for us. We will start a war against the Lanun. And the Tripartite Alliance will join us.“
Sabathiel was againt the idea. He didn't need another war so soon, and he wanted no deals with the Vampires. It would be like accepting them, and all the Bannors were strongly against them.
But Cardith Lorda liked the idea. He had lost a war against them before. The war in which only the Bannor ultimatum stopped fruther loses on Kuriotate side. He was not a kind of man that sought revenge but he just wanted to reclaim what was his, and this was a good opportunity.
Rhoanna was considering the offer.
„I agree. We have nothing to lose, being so far away, and our cavalry can pillage the Lanun easily“
Sabathiel thought just for a second, then spoke:
„Approved“
„Before we get to the details“, he spoke again, „I want to ask Sandalphon: do you accept my offer?“
„We no longer seek independence, in fact we don't want it. As a part of the Bannor empire we will have protection and safety, able to pursue our interests and protect the nature without being hindered by politics.“
Sandalphon accepted the deal, and proceded to discuss the details. He knew that in the end he will have to sign whatever Sabathiel decides, accept the dictate and bring it home calling it a compromise. But Sabathiel was more than understanding so far and he already got more than he could ever hope for.

And so it begun. Calabim used the failed marriage as a casus belli, stating that they must protect The Order from the Runes influence. Calabim declared war on Lanun, and the Kuriotates and Hippus followed.

Kuriotates opened the war well. They immediately liberated their old settlement of Hag Raef.

But it wasn't until the Bannor joined the war that the Lanun fell. Heroes, paladins, inquisitors, high priests all poured into Lanun lands. But all of them together didn't cause so much devastation as Archmages. Their meteors and maelstorms raged around, bringing cities to rumbles before the Bannor armies even saw them. Under such conditions the Lanun Kingdom quickly surrendered.

The war was quick and wasn't even heroic, our sages had no great deed to write about, only our generals had displays of never-seen-before strategies to study from.

Our priests started to foresee the bad events that will happen in the world unless the Evil is stopped. Ashen Veil cultists were probably the worst cause of corruption. So Inquisitors were called upon to purge the Evil.

Purging evil from the Bannor lands wasn't enough. So Sabathiel requested Alexis to allow the Bannor Inquisitors to investigate the Calabim lands and purge it from any cultists they found. That was a violation of Calabim soveregnity, as Inquisitors could persecute, judge and punish anyone without consulting the Calabim government. But Alexis accepted. She was very smart and bold when she did this, as it will have a great effect latter. So open borders were signed. Bannor Inquisitors started to do their work, and other troops traveled through Calabim lands to meet the Elohim.

Quite a good story. Keep it up.

It would be neat if you posted the scoreboard and the diplomacy screen so we know where you stand.

Top Bottom