Dragonxander PR's Earth 37 civsmap

Dragonxander PR

Emperor of the Drakons
After some research in the CFC Forums & thinking; I give up upon my idea for the Earth 2000 AD scenario (there's a mod dedicated to Earth in 2009, far more ambitious, elaborate & complete than I expected). Yet, I still wanted to make an Earth map; so, I decided to make a generic Earth map, with LoR's 37 civs. The map is still incomplete, this is what I have so far:

- Size, speed & era: 180 x 112 tiles, deciding between Epic & Marathon, ancient (4000 BC).

- Civs: 37, in their historical starting locations (the modern locations were prioritiarized in crammed areas). The leader selection didn't favor all LoR leaders; it instead favored leaders either representative of all of their civ or representative of their modern civs.

- General appearance: after the modifications I made to it, it looks much better. The map has a slighly-than-it-should-be Europe (though not as upscaled as the RFC Map's Europe), yet it's still too small for the 15 euro civs. The P Ocean is smaller than it should, but it's still big enough to house all its important islands appropiately. The Bering Strait is WAY too big, but it won't matter, since it will be blocked by ice. All other regions are as realistic as I could make them, & you'll notice they look really nice.

- Resources: I'll make 2 versions of the map: one with more 'ancient'resource locations (like those of the original Earth map of Civ IV) & one with more modern resource locations (that will balance all lands).

- Other important details: I may be making a submod for this map, just to allow cities to be built with 1 tile between them, in-game. This would make for the lack of space in many parts of the map.

Right now it's too late for me, so I'll be posting my screenshots of the map before this week ends.

Now I have time to post my progress in the map, you LOVE how it's coming up:

Earth:
Spoiler :

North America:
Spoiler :

South America:
Spoiler :

Europe:
Spoiler :

Africa:
Spoiler :

Asia:
Spoiler :

Oceania (Australia, NZ & Papua New Guinea so far):
Spoiler :

Looks good so far. Just out of curiosity, how will you be placing the resources on the map? Will you be doing research into where large deposits of resources should go, or will you do it completely out of game balance? (I suspect at least 1 oil will be placed in saudi arabia:))
I'm gonna place them in more historically accurate locations: I'm gonna do 2 versions: ancient resource placing (similar to that of the Civ IV Earth map) & modern resource placement. The 2nd one will be more balanced, since food & luxuries will be more spread out throughout the planet.

Horray! Progress! Always a good thing, always a good thing. I like the idea to design two maps, as the rescources will obviously decide who is the most power civlization, and on just one map, it would be extreamly boring if one civ was on top time and time again, so I applaude your efforts, and I hope they bare fruit soon! I simply can't wait to make senarios on this map!

Horray! Progress! Always a good thing, always a good thing. I like the idea to design two maps, as the rescources will obviously decide who is the most power civlization, and on just one map, it would be extreamly boring if one civ was on top time and time again, so I applaude your efforts, and I hope they bare fruit soon! I simply can't wait to make senarios on this map!

Well, I'd need to find out how to set the map to allow random civilizations when loading it. So far, this will be (in terms of functionality) like the original Civ IV Earth map, in which you have set civilizations to play with. IF I get to make it possible in this map to not have any tied civilizations to it, I'd say it'll be a must for Legends of Revolution.

Due to me being in school, the updates will come weekly. Earlier today, I worked a bit on the map. I'm currently dealing with terrain details & some final land corrections. From now on, the work I've made isn't noticeable enough to feature additional screenshots.

I'm glad you're all still attemptive to my progress with the map, & I'm sure it will turn out fantastically (more like how it's already turning out).

Yeah well, school's a pain, lucky for me I have till the 14th to deal with it all. Still, weekly progress is better than no progress! And I am seriously liking this map, and I'm itching to get a senario out too, and your map seems like the perfect candidate to do it on!

A strong contender for mine would be Carter's Earth (192 x 120 tiles). Unlike mine, it has the Pacific Ocean with the correct size, but it's in a projection that enlarges too much the polar regions. As another flaw, it's not accurate enough in terms of biomes (i.e. Siberia is ice forests, not tundra forests).

EDIT: the "180" I originally wrote is actually a "120"

Yeah well, Carter's not finished updating yet, and I'm sure it would be quite painful to convert it for LoR. Plus, I don't like overly big maps, like Carters, for something I'm planning to do. It's big, probibly far too much so for balanced city placement.

I would consider to move Zeeland (Island of Denmark) one spot to the West, so that it's not locked to Swedish main land, it's easier for ships to travel and you can reach it from Jutland.
Maybe you could also stretch Britain more to the north, there's still room and you can place London, York AND Edinborough. By that way civs from Europe can also settle Iceland. Historically, Island was settled early enough, it was just Greenland (and America) that was discovered later in 1000.

How is your work on the map progressing, over all? Do you need help? I would like to help (with map and scenario development).

I would consider to move Zeeland (Island of Denmark) one spot to the West, so that it's not locked to Swedish main land, it's easier for ships to travel and you can reach it from Jutland.
Maybe you could also stretch Britain more to the north, there's still room and you can place London, York AND Edinborough. By that way civs from Europe can also settle Iceland. Historically, Island was settled early enough, it was just Greenland (and America) that was discovered later in 1000.

How is your work on the map progressing, over all? Do you need help? I would like to help (with map and scenario development).
The map has had slow but steady progress overall (since I'm in school, therefore with less civving time available). These days I've been working on terrain details & resource placement, changes that won't be noticeable enough unless shown from a close distance (we don't need those many screenshots).

About your critiques for the map, the following explains the way I made it:

- Seeland is placed the way it is because the island is closer to Sweeden than to the other Danish islands. Also, during some periods, Denmark governed SW Sweeden, something that would make more sense with the current island placement.

- The current version of Great Britain is to scale, & it allows to fit the following cities: Cardiff (S Wales), London (English starting location) & Edimburg (SW of the peak).

- About the settling of Iceland & Greenland, the Shetland & Faroe Islands are placed so that cultural borders allow for the settling. This will allow only 1 civ to colonize Iceland & Greenland prior to Astronomy, but only when navigating across oceanic home culture. Even so, the Vikings will be able to reach those lands first with the longboats (that LoR UU does the same as the BtS Portuguese carrack).

I plan to make some small modding for the map, mainly to allow cities to be founded 1 tile away from others (I know how to do this). I also want to make it possible for the map to allow any civs (not to be limited to the preset 37 civs), something I don't know how to set.

About help you can offer me, I'd appreciate reference maps a lot (don't have resource maps for Australia & S. America); & if you want, you can testplay the map for balance checks, modify it as you see fit & discuss the modifications with me. For this, contacting via IM services would be a nice plus (you can find my Yahoo!, MSN/Windows LIVE & AIM adresses in my profile).

@dragonxander

When you were talking about reference maps, did you mean maps like this?

(showing coal deposits in the US)

@dragonxander

When you were talking about reference maps, did you mean maps like this?

(showing coal deposits in the US)
Maps like that would help me, but I need them most of Oceania & S America (I have maps for the other continents). The reference maps I need most include climate, resource, hidrographic & topographic maps, alongsides with the locations of the lesser known civs (in order to determine their starting locations).

Hey, how are the map-making progressing? And Leans scenarios too. I cant wait to start playing some awesome scenarios in LoR

Due to the 0.9.6 LoR update, I started the thing over again. Some differences with the new one (currently in progress) would be the following:

- The map size would be 192 x 120 tiles.
- The map is based on a modified Robinson projection.
- The map overall is looking way better.

I'll work on it between today & Friday afternoon, & get you all a big update with screenshots. So far, I have the baseland for Europe, Africa (minus the lesser islands), Asia, almost all of NA & part of SA. Some other good news, I alredy figured out how to make the map playable with any civs of the player's choosing. Also, the base map will have the modern resource placement, THEN I'll work with the ancient recource placement.

Top Bottom