Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

Any chance for the source code?

Well, I didn't code stuff thinking of others at all. For example, I didn't write many comments.
If you can mostly just copy and paste, it will not be useful. In fact, I don't understand why you're asking for it, since, I think, you don't know the coding language.
If someone wants to make a major contribution, I might change my mind. You might think I'm selfish, but I'm not, I'm just not an idealist. Hours and hours of work can't be sold that cheaply. The mod is there to be enjoyed. Thats' enough, and quite a lot.

well, i dont agree with you and dont be so sure of what you think someone knows or may not :)

DUNE WARS is my creation, without me, there would not be dune wars,
i invested hours on hours like you say, since 2006, so i think, i may be different then others but, all and all,

ill never understand modders who keep the code to the, selfs, its against the whole idea of modding community, without this sharing, there would not be revdcm, better ai and many more.

see kael from ff2, he created a new game with modding, and the entire code was out from start.

then again, you owe no one anything, and despite my opinion, i respect your right to hold the code and your wish.

all i can hope that you change your mind, and if not, keep working on revival, it makes me proud to see this project alive and bring joy to others.

cheers.

DUNE WARS is my creation, without me, there would not be dune wars,
i invested hours on hours like you say, since 2006, so i think, i may be different then others but, all and all,

ill never understand modders who keep the code to the, selfs, its against the whole idea of modding community, without this sharing, there would not be revdcm, better ai and many more.

You say this like you're upset. There's no point in being upset, you have no reason to. You completely missed the suggested point when I said that I didn't code it thinking of others, but I won't explain it. Also, if you have a contribution, then I'm not getting what it is. So why do you want it? If you have a contribution then you talk to me properly, you don't just ask for the code. It's just weird. Kael shared his work at a time when he could get help from all kinds of people and to also get help, of course. People share for the sake of some kind of improvement. Finally, there's also no point in bringing up the fact that you started the first version of the mod years ago. That's great and I thank you for it, but there's too many names that I would put in front of yours in a list of credits. DW is the animal that it is because of a lot of python and C++ coding. Thanks.

Maybe i was a bit upset at first.
The reason i asked for the code, is that sometimes i like to look and see nice thinks people added and see how its written, thats it.

Anyway, mr. M, i truly didnt mean to start a fight.
True, dw is an animal thanks to more skilled people then me, i accept it with a warm heart.

Lets just burry this matter, i respect you and the work you did, ok friend?

If you have an idea for the mod, you can just say so. If you want to check a specific chunk of code for one of your mods (maybe you want the triple-plot-sonic shot, for example, it's not that complicated), that also may be ok. That is I'm not adverse to the sharing of some specific ideas, if someone wants to use them. I don't even care if people give me credit or not, actually.
Most "special abilities" in the game are quite simple. The Bene Tleilax stuff is the most complicated. Their stuff is all over the place and took me forever to make sure things don't get screwed up in very specific circunstances. I remember, although this was not a problem, one time, I actually saw two units with exactly the same ID while testing their stuff: I don't even want to know how was that possible or what are the odds of that: maybe I was having a nightmare or hallucinated. Yeah, it's not easy when you put some sweat into things.

Well, i got my own mods, but no, like i said, i just like to look at other codes:) so no actual thing i need, i dont realy have a need for the core, so all good my friend.

I know how stuff in modding tend to complicated. Can be realy annoying some time, the amount of time ive spent on modding is insane... But uts fun:)

Tell ya the truth, i so wanna start a revuval game, bur i got no time...

Cheers buddy.

In case someone is still lurking around here. I'd like to play this mod with my steam version, i have unpacked the zip in my games/beyond the sword/mods, but when i start the mod the game crashes

gfc error_ failed to initialize...

Can i get this mod to work with steam?

Yes, but not in the folder you mentioned.

Find the Program Files where the game is installed and intall it in the folder where the official Mods like Charlemagne are (for example: ...Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Charlemagne).

I'm not on Steam but a Mod with a Theme cannot be installed in the My Games folder.

I'm enjoying this game thank you to those involved in creating it and getting it to this point.

just 1 little thing , on 1 of the loading screen comments it talks about automated factories making people upset due to fear of a 2nd Butlarian Jihad this doesn't sound right the Jihad is what freed the people from slavery. The fear of the Automated Factories would be from fear of the thinking machines from rising and enslaving the people again. Its the whole reason why the Mentat program took off and went as far as it did to make sure that there was no need for thinking machines.

@Strickl3r i play this mod through steam, my file path is programs86\steam\steamapp\common\civIV beyond the sword\beyond the sword\mods

there is a mods file in the Civ IV beyond the sword folder but that's the wrong 1 you need to go that 1 step further i got caught with that one

Hmm, so Mr. M, this "source code" you didn't release is the DLL I assume? Because any mod can be thoroughly investigated when it comes to XML and Python ....

I did assume that the DLL could always be edited by someone with a compiler but maybe you were able to 'lock' it?

Anyways I haven't downloaded this mod yet, or yet tried it out, but I really enjoyed the Original version, so I am sure I will enjoy this one ... and Dune by Frank Herbert is probably my favorite source material of all time.

I'm looking for people to play multiplayer with, either some version of Dune Wars, or some version of Civ IV WW2 (Road to War or the like)....

I'm also working on a massive WW2 mod, but it'll probably take another 6 months to finish :)

Hmm, so Mr. M, this "source code" you didn't release is the DLL I assume? Because any mod can be thoroughly investigated when it comes to XML and Python ....

I did assume that the DLL could always be edited by someone with a compiler but maybe you were able to 'lock' it?

DLL is not the same thing as source code. Modders edit/write source code and then the compiler turns it into DLL. You cannot* edit or read DLL directly. It's becuase source code is structured so that humans understand it and DLL is structured so that computers "understand" it and humans don't*. Compilers turn source code in DLL, but there is no* way of doing the reverse.

(*Well, technically you can edit/read DLL directly, but that is a very difficult and time-consuming process and for a DLL this large it is almost impossible to achieve anything meaningful that way.)

What's up with the comments, again, about the source code not being "released", from people that have not even played the game?
It just takes too long to recode it in a way that allow others, especially amateurs, to use it without wasting time and getting confused, because of the particular ways I did some things to save myself some time (besides, there were already, before me, some things curiously coded...).

Of course, this does not matter, at all, for most people and I hope they can enjoy the game: I still think that it holds up quite well and that its better than many other official sci-fi turn-based games. I even dare say: much better.
It could still be improved but I'm swarmed now a days and motivation is not the same. The amount of work that I put in there was ridiculous but I still think it was worth it: the game is stable, fast enough and has a lot of variety and flavour (and it is balanced enough).
Too bad that it ends up being kind of a "niche" thing, in a matter of speaking, but that's fine.

Edit: shoutout to Deliverator for helping with the art. It wouldn't be the same.

Top Bottom