New NESes, ideas, development, etc

only in succesion disputes

Well, no. There were also the barbarian invasions from the south, and, well, from elsewhere as well (such as with the Oromos in the 19th entury). So Ethiopia could be termed as a "tribal kingdom", one of those that Harleqin mentioned, though ofcourse it is by far the most advanced tribal kingdom.

I am coming up with rules for a NES thats basically fresh starting, but you start with a well developed, idustrialized nation. I am hoping to post rules soon.

I want to do a Middle Ages NES in the summer/maybe sooner if i have enough time, so i went and made this as a starter:

Spoiler :

The map is quite rough at this point, and i haven't filled in India and africa (i'm very ignorant in those areas. I tried merging some nations, and left others out to cut down nation #, but it's far from a finished product. Feedback/advices are appreciated/more than welcomed.

If there is an existing map out there already, that would be even better :) (looking for around 1200 AD)

My nation list so far:

Spoiler :

Europe:

Byzantine
Bulgaria?
Hungary
Poland
2 Sicily
Papal States
HRE
Frank/France
England
Scotland?
Leon
Castille
Aragon
Almohad
Portugal?
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Venice
Holland?

Africa/Middle East/Central Asia:

Rum
Ayyubid
Abbasid
Khwarezmian Shahdom
Cumak?
Kara Khitai
Georgia?
Crusader Kingdoms?

Asia

Southern Song
Jin
Japan
Korea?
Tibet
Khmer
Annam&Champa?
Pagan?
Nan Chao?
Srivijava
Naiman (steppe)?
Mongol (steppe)
Merkits (steppe)?

ThomAnder said:
I want to do a Middle Ages NES in the summer/maybe sooner if i have enough time, so i went and made this as a starter:

Spoiler :

The map is quite rough at this point, and i haven't filled in India and africa (i'm very ignorant in those areas. I tried merging some nations, and left others out to cut down nation #, but it's far from a finished product. Feedback/advices are appreciated/more than welcomed.

If there is an existing map out there already, that would be even better :) (looking for around 1200 AD)

My nation list so far:

Spoiler :

Europe:

Byzantine
Bulgaria?
Hungary
Poland
2 Sicily
Papal States
HRE
Frank/France
England
Scotland?
Leon
Castille
Aragon
Almohad
Portugal?
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Venice
Holland?

Africa/Middle East/Central Asia:

Rum
Ayyubid
Abbasid
Khwarezmian Shahdom
Cumak?
Kara Khitai
Georgia?
Crusader Kingdoms?

Asia

Southern Song
Jin
Japan
Korea?
Tibet
Khmer
Annam&Champa?
Pagan?
Nan Chao?
Srivijava
Naiman (steppe)?
Mongol (steppe)
Merkits (steppe)?

That would be fun to be in.So when do you think you will start it? I like the map though.

Holland was part of the Holy Roman Empire. Also, if the time is around 1100 (judging by England's hold on Ireland) that Crimea should not be byzantine. Also, Brittany was not part of France, but was Celtic until 1500s

a la stalin, though much less cool-looking

Attachments

• Its coming.JPG
    Its coming.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 104
I'm considering trying my hand at moding a Nes, since summer's coming and I already have too much freetime to fill. I've been thinking about a Medieval Age Nes, around 1100, in Europe obviously. It'd be similar to one of Gelion's old short lived Nes' found here. Another idea would be one that takes place in Feudal Japan. I would be willing to mod a modern age or alt-hist Nes, but I just can't choose a setting and it seems like we have enough already and more are coming out.

Any suggestions would be good

If you want to do a Medieval NES, then at least skimming, and probably reading through, aaminion's Middle Ages NES is a must. It's here.

Well, summer is approaching. To be precise there is about four more weeks of work, then one week of grading and meeting with students and then a couple of months off before the next semester. Seems an ideal time to start something.

I've posted ideas earlier, but I keep twisting the rules, particularly the military. I've come up with some kind of idea which is listed below. I'd like some constructive feedback on it. It only covers the landbased units for now, though the navy will be more or less the same.

First though... I need some ideas. I'm considering a whole fresh start on earth map. No ties to history at all, including where people first got advanced. Simply using the map for practicality.
My other idea is to do something around 1850/1867 with the Italian/German unifications. This is just loosely though.
I might do a bit earlier like around 1815 and do it with some slight changes due to a POD during the Napoleonic wars or possibly even just at the Congress of Vienna.
Basically, I need some good ideas :)

The military rules posted below here ;)

Military
Many methods have been used to make the military stat in a good way. None of them have really appealed to me. Pure numbers have a nice simplicity to them, but don’t really allow for the tactic decisions one can make by for example setting up a flanking force of cavalry. Also, training is a bit hard. Some nations have a massive income and can then usually train their troops insanely much in just one turn. It takes time to train vast forces. The more skilled instructors you have, the easier of course. I’ve wrestled with ideas on how to really do this best. I’ve come up with the following system. It’s by no means perfect and I’m open to suggestions.

Training
The training level can only improved by one level/turn. The only exceptions to this are through bonuses or if troops are involved in heavy fighting. Heavy recruiting can cause a drop though. Basically this will happen if you spend a lot on recruiting troops compared to the size of your nation or if you recruit a lot several turns in a row. It can also have the unfortunate side effect of lowering your economy as people join the army rather than work.

Training indicates how well the troops are trained in the arts of war. This includes knowledge of how to use the terrain, knowing how to hit the target, improvising if cut off from their HQ as well as their general level of courage.
While they can only improve one level/turn, you can improve both infantry and mounted units in the same year. Oh, and navy as well of course.

When troops reach a certain skill level it becomes harder and harder to train them. There’s a limit to how much their shooting skills will improve or how much better they’ll get at using the terrain. As they become better trained it will cost more to get them to the next level. I decided this was the easiest way of making it possible to train large numbers. Also, those special soldiers who show extreme skill will usually be chosen for the UU to replace dead and retiring members. Note that it is not possible to get better than elite. A UU will always be assumed to be one level higher though. This is the only way some troops can be rated as higher than elite.

Scale
The scale is as follows with the number in brackets saying how much it will cost to get to the next level.

Cannonfodder (1) – Untrained (1) – Poor (1) – Acceptable (1) – Trained (2) – Well trained (2) – Good (4) – Professional army (5) – Elite (-)

Costs
Infantry will be counted in divisions. One spending point will get you 2 divisions. One division will be approximately 10,000 troops.
Mounted units will contain approximately 1,000 troops per division. They are also raised at the same level as infantry, namely two divisions/spending point.
Conscripts: If you decide to call up conscripts, mobilize etc, then those troops will have a training level of Acceptable which can’t be improved. Doing this will almost always damage your economy by costing you one eco level.

How much can you spend?
You will be able to safely spend an amount on increasing your army size equal to your manpower status every turn. If you go above this be ready to be hit by falling confidence, economy etc. Of course, some heavily militarised nations might not care about that. ;)

Those military rules look very good, seem that they can be managed. Only thing though is that infantry numbers per eco seem a bit inflated, especially when compared with cavalry numbers.

I've been trying to integrate dependencies into IsrNES2. Here are the rules I have so far, any suggestions on improvements?

Dependencies: There are three main kinds of dependencies that can be created or negotiated. A PC can negotiate any of these with an NPC or another PC. NPCes may also enter into these kinds of relationships together. Economy is different for dependencies than for independent sates, for info see Economy. The different kinds of dependencies are:
Colony- The nation to which a colony is dependent receives all of the colony's eco points. Since colonies are geared towards commerce almost entirely they are more prone to have eco centres. However, colonists tend to have little to no loyalty to their home country and are much more likely to rebel. Colonial armies are at the control of the colony, but remain small and inefficient, normally dependent on the home country's military. Non-economic affairs are run in-colony, so the home country can not control things such as education directly.
Protectorate- Half of a protectorate's eco (rounded down) goes to the parent country's coffers. The protectorates military is also under the command of the home country. Unlike colonies they are not geared towards economy and will not have such economic bonuses. Also, a protectorate maintains much of the areas independent features and aristocracy making rebellions more successful. However, since protectorates maintain home rule without a governor from the home country they are less likely to rebel since they feel more independent.
Client States- Client States, or 'Puppet States,' maintain independence in name. Since they are not actually under the rule of the home country they are not likely to rebel, although like any territory in an empire different things could cause the region to rebel, in this case to throw out their government and most likely install a more independent government. A client state's military is completely controlled by the home country; however a client state maintains its economy and control of all domestic affairs.

and from the economy section...

Dependencies, however, have very different economy stats. While dependencies have a word level, the important things to take note of in a dependencies economy stat are the number outside the parentheses, the number inside, and the number in brackets. The number outside is the total amount of economy points that the country produces. The number inside parentheses is the amount given to the parent country, which is dependent on the kind of dependency the country is. The number in brackets is the amount of economy points left after deductions. If a player is running a dependency, this is the amount of points they have to spend in a turn.

Possibly (with the inf vs. cav). Infantry is usually considered app. 10,000 men for a division. Cavalry is more tricky. It is also hard to use well, namely because there are few of them. However, they do have mobility on their side.

Too many infantry for a spending point? You get two divisions.... I think 5 is too many, but one is definately not enough.
On cavalry I figured to keep the same spending rate.

Ooooooh.... it should one division is 10,000... not 20,000. I think that is the cause for our misunderstanding here ;)

Client States- Client States, or 'Puppet States,' maintain independence in name. Since they are not actually under the rule of the home country they are not likely to rebel, although like any territory in an empire different things could cause the region to rebel, in this case to throw out their government and most likely install a more independent government. A client state's military is completely controlled by the home country; however a client state maintains its economy and control of all domestic affairs.

The Domestic Affairs of the puppet state should actually be heavily dependent on the home/master country. Since it wouldn't really make sense for the Master and the Marionette to have domestic policies that differ too much.

Only foriegn is Suzerain, Puppet is like "Jump", "HOw High?"

And i introduced a happiness stat into my NES. It represents confidence, living standards and stuff like that rolled into one. Its also a good way to show how trade increases "happiness"

@Reno- I was thinking about, for instance, the numerous different Pacific, Arab, etc. nations that put their foreign policy and defense into the hands of Britain. I'll think about it though.
@Swiss- Isn't that basically what confidence (a very badly named stat, if you ask me) is? If your only using happiness, then I think that is a fabulous idea, but if you are using happiness and confidence, then I think it is un-necessary.

Instead of confidence/living standards I am using Happiness, which as mentioned before, can incorporate many more factors. A speech can make hapiness go up 2 points, whereas its unrealistic for your leader to make a speech and bam, there is a cult of personality!

How do these rules look for a fresh start?

RULES

Read these before joining, please.

Playing

Playing this NES is much like any NES.

Thus, I refer you here for the basic concepts.

Some special rules of mine:

Orders should be limited to a maximum of 2 private messages. That’s IIRC 20,000 characters, which is about 5,000 average words. Enough for a bloody short story, I think you can survive on that limit.

Note that I will give bonuses to nations whose leaders write stories. Stories are, after all, in the title, and I love it when people actually describe their nation instead of sending me drab orders all the time.

More or less this is like a game of our beloved friend Civilization, except with the twist that you are quite more in control, and not restricted by the algorithms of a computer game. For example, any military tactic you may wish to implement, go right ahead and try implementing it. You can try any number of economic projects; etc. And of course, there are nearly unlimited diplomatic options.

It’s a very flexible game, make the most of it. Read the rest of these rules, and ask me if you still have questions.

Economy

Economy is a very vague term; it roughly corresponds to Gross Domestic Product. That is to say, it’s the overall ability of your nation to purchase or produce something. I’m aware that money and production are very different entities, this was one thing I’ve been struggling with. After much internal debate, I decided that they will remain as the traditional one stat, in order to simplify and streamline.

Economy will be represented by a number of points that you are allowed to spend on any number of things. Primarily these points will be invested into things like your military, your education, infrastructure, and quality of life; these stats are explained below.

The number of points you receive to spend depend on how rich your nation is and how productive it is; I imagine this is self explanatory. Money earned from trade, mining, manufacturing, just about anything is counted under this. To increase it, simply try to increase your economic prowess, perhaps by opening up a new activity, encouraging an increase in an old activity, or increasing the efficiency at which you perform an activity. For example, a switch to better farming techniques, or drilling for oil in a certain protected location. Note of course that it’s not always good for your environment to increase your economy.

**********​

Size

Size represents your nation/faction’s population and area. A frustrating stat in that it represents two things, but I think it will work well enough.

The size stat is a single number. It will give bonuses and handicaps. For stats like Education, Infrastructure, and Quality of Life, a larger state will have more trouble in maintaining a large level of these. Larger states will have more trouble in this regard.

However, size isn’t always a handicap: size will give you a bonus in the military field, to represent the sheer size of your military. I will determine how much of a bonus it gives depending on your technological level.

Military

Military is raised mostly through the spending of economy points to recruit, train, and arm new soldiers. This is a raw number, the amount of standing soldiers you have at your disposal in times of war. What it doesn’t take into account is how many troops you can raise on the fly; levies and conscripts called up for a single war. You can ask me in your orders to raise conscripts or levies in times of desperation, it might happen on its own, though.

In any case, military is really two things. There’s the number of soldiers you have, and then there’s how good they are. The second stat is more of a level type thing, and it represents both how experienced they are, and how trained they are. It will rise naturally through battles being fought, but you can invest eco points into it, raising it as well. By the same token, recruiting a large number of new, raw recruits can crash it just as easily.

The problem is that the more soldiers you have, the harder it is to raise training. After the training stat, it will show how many eco points you must invest to reach the new level.

The more soldiers you have, the more it will cost to maintain your army. The cost for upkeep is listed after the military stat. This will automatically be deducted from the amount of eco points you earn, thus, with an income of 3 and an upkeep of 2, you really have 1 spare point to spend.

You may establish unique units, that is, military units who are very different from normal ones, in their quality, function, what have you. Please keep these to a sensible minimum. Describe what they do in your orders, and they will be added to your military, after which you can recruit and train them like normal military.

Note that use of strategy is highly recommended in case of war; while your generals will employ basic strategies, they are not usually particularly bright.

Education

Education is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the level of education you have, the better your people’s education is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of education, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get an education of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the more educated your people are, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut education funding, your education level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut education in a very desperate war, but your people will become the stupider for it. Beware.

Infrastructure

Infrastructure is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the level of infrastructure you have, the better your people’s access to decent roads, healthcare, and so on, is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of infrastructure, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get an infrastructure of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the better your infrastructure is, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut infrastructure funding, your infrastructure level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut infrastructure in a very desperate war, but your people, and army, will have to drive over increasingly shoddy roads, and use increasingly worse hospitals, and so on. Beware.

Quality of Life

Quality of Life is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the Quality of Life level you have, the better your people’s quality of life is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of Quality of Life, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get a Quality of Life of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the more well fed and clothed your people are, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut Quality of Life funding, your Quality of Life level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut Quality of Life in a very desperate war, but your people will be the worse for it. Beware.

**********​

Technology

Technology level represents how advanced your people are. E.g. the Bronze Age, or the Industrial Age. I trust in your intelligence.

It increases automatically, usually through a good education. The smarter your people are, really, the more accepting of innovation they will be. Quite simple.

If you want to make a specific advance, then you can invest eco points into getting it in your orders. Like you want the latest rifle? Then invest a point into it, and you may well get it.

Government

Government is, well, the type of ruling system you have. I believe you know what this is about.

If you have a democratic government system, the elected body, be it Congress, or Parliament, may well decide that what you’re doing is evil, and try to veto it. I’ll try to inform you ahead of time if this is happening. Your options are to change it to what they want, stage a coup, or find a creative solution of your own.

Religion

I trust we all know what religion is? Let’s just say, you can motivate your people to support a war with it, and it can oppose a war all on its own. Quite powerful, in the hands of the skilled.

Culture

Unlike other NESes to date, which have your culture described as a level (which I found silly), I shall describe it. The main characteristics that will be described are wether it has a strong influence on its neighbors or vice versa, and what culture group it belongs to. These are categories decided by the mod.

**********​

Projects

Tell me something you want to get done, and I’ll tell you how long they will take to get done. Pretty simple.

These can be anything from building the Suez Canal to increasing the military efficiency of your nation. They are simply things you want your nation to accomplish. Quite nicely, they do not require eco points, rather less nicely, they cannot be hurried with eco points, either. The only thing that hurries a project is a story.

**********​

Nation Template

This is a template with which people who wish to make their nations from scratch (thus creating an entirely new nation) can make their nation. Simply fill out the fields which require filling out, and post it. If your nation is not one that is historical, please also state where you wish to start; if it is a historical nation which you wish to start in a historical area, then I will most likely know where to put it. If in doubt, tell me anyway.

Please no starts outside of the common civilized regions of the world. While I will not actively prevent you from starting as, say, a nation on Svalbard, don’t expect it to amount to much.

[please replace this entire line of text with what you want your nation to be called]
Player: [replace this with your CFC username]
Economy: 1
Size: 1
Military: 1,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Education: Terrible (0)
Infrastructure: Terrible (0)
Quality of Life: Terrible (0)
Technology: Early Bronze Age
Government: [put what government type you want here. Please keep this realistic]
Religion: [put what religion you want your leader to follow]
Culture: (I will fill this out. Not you. But you can write stories about it.)
Projects: None yet.

Nope!

Top Bottom