Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

One of my friends lent me the Dune novel. I am reading it now. I am so going to play this mod once I've read the book. Just letting you people know it looks absolutely amazing.

Welcome! We may not be quite as awesome as Frank Herbert, but you'll enjoy this mod much more once you've read Dune.

i think the DL link for 1.6 is broken because when i go to run it it says:

"installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incompete Download and damaged media."

im downloading it again, incase it was a one off thing.

EDIT: the second download also failed. i think your upload was corrupted or something. perhaps try reuploading it or trying a different website?

EDIT: the second download also failed. i think your upload was corrupted or something. perhaps try reuploading it or trying a different website?

I can confirm this. David will be soundly asleep right now I assume, so he wont be able to fix this until morning California time which is approx 6 hours from now.

I advise people reading this to play 1.5 with the 1.5.5 patch until an uncorrupted version of 1.6 is posted.

The download site we were using, "mediafire" appears to have some problem. I was able to download from it an hour ago and confirmed that the upload was corrupted. I deleted the copy on mediafire. I tried to upload a new copy, but mediafire was unable to complete the upload and now I can't even access mediafire.com at all.

I have gone to another download site which is my own web server. In the past some people have been unable to access this. However, I have uploaded, and then downloaded, and then installed successfully. (The web server is still located halfway across the US from me, it is not in my house or anything.)

I have updated the download page at civfanatics so it will use jendaveallen. Please download from that. I will try to get mediafire to respond, or try some other mirror site in parallel. Sorry for the confusion.

The install script you guys are using is a dated one. I've recompiled a new script that fixes the issues in your current installer,

I traced through your installer thread, and I am pretty sure I used the latest version. Still, thanks for your help. Can you please upload just the nsi script? I wll diff it with the one I used to see the difference.

OK, script uploaded in attachement.

Also I know it's an older version of the script because it breaks the icon shortcut and the start menu shortcut is added differently. Also because it's an old script, it most likely doesn't check all the different registry possibilities, as the old one wasn't set up to look for CivGold or Complete's registry key.

A few notes on the script. Obviously my computer paths are different then yours, so you need to change those, that's common sense though. I moved the icon into it's own folder "Icon", so either place the icon in a new folder icon, or adjust that in the script. Finally I created an add on option for the source code, if you'd rather just install the source code by default, you need to elminate all the optional add on sections in the script, the script is well commented though, that's easy to do.

You don't need to have read any of the sequels, they aren't nearly as good, but Dune itself is a masterpiece.

Each of the sequels are masterpieces as well.

For some reason, I have a CTD upon launching the mod. Using 1.6.1 during the Init XML the game crashes.

Each of the sequels are masterpieces as well.

For some reason, I have a CTD upon launching the mod. Using 1.6.1 during the Init XML the game crashes.

Is your BTS installation upgraded to 3.19?
Are you able to play other mods you have downloaded from civfanatics?

Yes, BTS 3.19 and I play other mods fine.
I unistalled Dune Wars (thanks for the Unistall) and reinstalled. I chose to "Run Dune Wars" from the install complete prompt and it worked fine. Very cool and can't wait to play, BTW. However, I exited to desktop and launched from the desktop shortcut and the program crashes again during the XML Init. I then launched BTS and tried to launch the Mod from there with the same crash.
Now I can't figure out how to launch the game without re-installing :)

Now I can't figure out how to launch the game without re-installing :)

Are you using Vista? As listed in the first post in this thread, many users report they can only play the mod using "run as administrator".

Your location implies you are in the US, so this is less likely, but are you running the mod in English? We have fixed several problems with foreign languages previously and we believe it works; but if you aren't using English, try using English.

Are you using Vista? As listed in the first post in this thread, many users report they can only play the mod using "run as administrator".

Yes, with Vista and English I set the "run as administrator" and it works.

Thanks so much,

Have a weird issue. After patching to fix the missile tank problem, the infantry ended up 'broken' - when clicking on them, they have weird options, almost like workers, can't attack and when selected, you can't unselect them unless you tell them to sleep.

Plus it seems like the amount of worms has dropped off considerable to practically nothing.

It sounds like you might be using one of the older patches.

1.6.1c or thereabouts tweaked infantry but broke them.

If there are no new worms appearing or storms or units within your borders are not getting the +1 movement home ground promotion, then something is stopping the python scripts from running.

Have a weird issue. After patching to fix the missile tank problem, the infantry ended up 'broken' - when clicking on them, they have weird options, almost like workers, can't attack and when selected, you can't unselect them unless you tell them to sleep.

Plus it seems like the amount of worms has dropped off considerable to practically nothing.

Remove Dune Wars, install the main version 1.6.1 and then the latest patch 1.6.3 - links in the welcome thread - that should sort out your issues. 1.6.3 includes all other 1.6.x patches.

I am on Vista-64 and have never had any problems, presumably because my account has administrator priviliges.

I guess i am puzzled i just ran 1.63 for 125 turns on vista 32 bit, no problems.

If it starts up at all, then you are not having the problem other users have reported. Other users report that it crashes during the "init xml" early loading stage.

Do you have your civ game installed under "program files"? As a user, do you have permission to write into "program files"? Normal vista installations do not allow a regular user to write into "program files", only an administrator. If you have given your regular user account administrator priviledges, then please create another user account which does not have adminstrator priviledges, and then run using that account.

Top Bottom