[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

I've tried out Thomas' War and I found absolutely no problems with it. The interface was fine and the Civilopedia showed up on demand. Hell, I even got in a couple hundred turns of play.

Sorry mate, but I think the problem's in the mod. Or in how it reacts to my computer. My custom assets folder is clean and Final Frontier is still 100% intact.

The only thing I can think of is that I have Solver's 0.19 unofficial patch installed, but I can't see how that would be a problem. I am stumped.

Only spies, or other units too?

Hoverformers also tend to disappear. (I stacked a couple inside a city, because I ran out of water to work, but when more water tiles appeared, they were gone.)

But this is driving my crazy. Why does it work on some computers, and on other computers it chrashes every round :confused:?

All I can tell you is I'm running a Vista 32 bits OS with 3 GB RAM and no unofficial patches.

I'm now in my third game on the 16 civ Marsmap and only had 1 CTD when clicking on a Sandstorm.

Yes, i know. Because of that, the religion-wonders are renamed to "arrival of", it should represent, that in this city the first followers of these religion arrives from the earth.
I think, the system should be changed more, maybe i'll include the religion-founding through prophets.

I like the religions founding system as is, very appropriate. (The only improvement I can think of would be that civs start with religions, but this would leave certain civs religionless.)

Some more (minor) comments:

- Moskau => Moscow
- Karachi => Karachi
- "jail" => Jail
- "Automatation" advance => Automation
- "Constructionsships produce..." => Construction Ships produce...(Civpedia)
- "Oxygenextraction" => Oxygen Extraction

As regards City Lists: the Civ2 scenario contained custom city names, which seem better than simply reproducing existing city names on a Mars setting.

hello The J :)

so.. this is my problem: i am spanish but have the civ in english to play mods. however my folder is located in "C:Archivos de programa\Firaxis Games\Civ4\bts etc etc" despite of "Program files". So i created a folder like "Program files" and moved Civ4 there.. but while loading the mod it crashes with this bug of "can't load the main theme"... don't know what to do... thanks

You should not have moved it.
Return Civ where it was, and place the mod in the mod folder in your BTS folder.
By moving BTS to a diferent folder you most likely messed something up in the game files that is causing that crash.

It does not matter where the Civ game is located on your hard drive, only that the mod is in the mod folder.

The structure should look like this:
The place you installed Civ to from your CD\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

PS. Being a profesional programer, but not well aquated with this mod, this is just my educated guess.

Yeah, I'm wondering if some of these bugs come from a reliance on a set directory structure. It sounds like you're getting a crash on initialization Caleb but if I'm wrong, correct me, okay?

This is my exact directory path for the mod on my computer.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Marsjetzt-v02

Like Caleb, I can't change it. It's intricately entangled with Steam, and it's not a 64 bit program so it doesn't belong in the Program Files directory. Although I can't see how this'd be a problem...you never know. Computers can be funny sometimes.

And to remind people, I can't play this mod because of a missing interface. If you get a missing interface too, please tell The_J stuff like this so he can narrow down the cause of this. Do him -- and yourself -- a favour. Make sure he doesn't have to hunt all over his python to find the problem. ;)

Since google has a klingon interface, I will not be surprised if they have found some Klingon holy relics on Mars from a crashed spacecraft or from a failed mission to set an outpost there.

:D, maybe something for an event :D.

I refered to a possible new religion on Mars, which was a door opened a few posts above. If that makes sense.

If it's not to strange and it has a good background...
An user in the german forum suggested memetics as a religion, but that's too weird for me (yes, i understand, what is meant, but although...)

???
Although i loaded the game up exactly the same way, and moved exactly the same way as the last time i tried to reproduce it, it did NOT crash when i tried it again. I had tried it twice, and both times it crashed, but this time it worked perfectly fine.
Here's the save anyways:

I think, the double crash happend by accident, and it was not really reproducable, i got no CtD.

thta stuff happens to me on othe rmods when there are graphics glitches :mad:

Yes, i know that. Had an wrong definition for a resource, and the game crashed every time when i wanted to open the worldbuilder.

But missing graphics wouldn't explain, why Jeleen and some others can play long times without a crash.

That's because he disappeared... (okay, just kidding you here). I must have given you a save file that had already lost its GP's. Sorry about that. Just add a few great engineers via worldbuilder and run the game several turns.

It doesn't matter, where i add them?
I'll try it out :confused:.

The great persons and I suspect the "hoverformers" as well.

Hoverformers also tend to disappear. (I stacked a couple inside a city, because I ran out of water to work, but when more water tiles appeared, they were gone.)

Okay, i've looked into the .xmls, it is the same problem like the buildings had.
Didn't notice, that something like this is in the unitInfos.xml.

I don't have Final Frontier on my computer anymore. Could this be the source of my CtD's then???

Uuhh...erm...maybe.
The FF units are in the main folder, only the 3 leaderheads i use are in the FF folder.
Can you see the third american leader?

-> i'll include the graphics.

I've tried out Thomas' War and I found absolutely no problems with it. The interface was fine and the Civilopedia showed up on demand. Hell, I even got in a couple hundred turns of play.

Sorry mate, but I think the problem's in the mod. Or in how it reacts to my computer. My custom assets folder is clean and Final Frontier is still 100% intact.

Yes, the problem is in my mod, but in tsentom's mod is also the type of error, but it seems not to be the same.
If it were the same, the search for a solution would have been easier :(.

The only thing I can think of is that I have Solver's 0.19 unofficial patch installed, but I can't see how that would be a problem. I am stumped.

I don't have it installed, but you're right, it shouldn't affect it.

All I can tell you is I'm running a Vista 32 bits OS with 3 GB RAM and no unofficial patches.

I'm now in my third game on the 16 civ Marsmap and only had 1 CTD when clicking on a Sandstorm.

Maybe vista is more robust, but i'm only guessing,

I like the religions founding system as is, very appropriate. (The only improvement I can think of would be that civs start with religions, but this would leave certain civs religionless.)

Yes, i've also thought about that, with the same conclusion.

But it could be something for the "unique powers". Some civs start with religions, some have unique improvements, [to be continued].

As regards City Lists: the Civ2 scenario contained custom city names, which seem better than simply reproducing existing city names on a Mars setting.

Oh, didn't remind that :D, good, that i didn't delete the civ2-folder, i'll have a look at it.

You should not have moved it.
Return Civ where it was, and place the mod in the mod folder in your BTS folder.
By moving BTS to a diferent folder you most likely messed something up in the game files that is causing that crash.

It does not matter where the Civ game is located on your hard drive, only that the mod is in the mod folder.

The structure should look like this:
The place you installed Civ to from your CD\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

PS. Being a profesional programer, but not well aquated with this mod, this is just my educated guess.

This is completly right.
The path-name shouldn't affect the installation.
The path in the starting-post is the standard-path for the english installation. I myself didn't install civ in that location, and it runs :D.
I have an installer here, so the next version will be correctly installed to the right folder.

But damn, so there's no reason, why it doesn't load :(.
Are you totally sure, that it's "marsjetzt-v02", without any ' ´ ` or so?

edit:

Yeah, I'm wondering if some of these bugs come from a reliance on a set directory structure. It sounds like you're getting a crash on initialization Caleb but if I'm wrong, correct me, okay?

This is my exact directory path for the mod on my computer.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Marsjetzt-v02

Like Caleb, I can't change it. It's intricately entangled with Steam, and it's not a 64 bit program so it doesn't belong in the Program Files directory. Although I can't see how this'd be a problem...you never know. Computers can be funny sometimes.

Uh, users with steam have more often problems with mods, but i don't know why :(.
I thought, it could be because of the path-lenght, but somebody said, this couldn't be the reason.
But although this, i think, maybe something, like the path-length or special signs, could "kill" a python-script while loading.

Could you open your Civ4Config.ini (in your BtS-folder is a link to it) and change something?
These values here, all 0 have to be changed to 1, the 1 to 0.

PHP:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

[...]

; Create a dump file if the application crashes
GenerateCrashDumps = 0

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

[...]

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 0

Than please report, if you get an error while loading.
After loading, please close civ in the normal way (or try it), and open your MyGames\BtS-folder, .zip the Log-folder, and attach it here.

And to remind people, I can't play this mod because of a missing interface. If you get a missing interface too, please tell The_J stuff like this so he can narrow down the cause of this. Do him -- and yourself -- a favour. Make sure he doesn't have to hunt all over his python to find the problem. ;)

Thanks for that :).

It doesn't matter, where i add them?
I'll try it out :confused:.

Add some Great Engineers directly in the capital city. Thanks for checking into the issue. :)

BTW -- yes I can see all three US leaders when I chose my initial civ. Is that what you meant?

@The_J: Thanks for the reply. (And you're welcome.);)

Started another game (as my previous start position turned out to be really crappy) on Noble level and noticed some more stuff:

- "Nobles from... TXT_KEY_SHINTO_RELIGION..." (Event)
- quests seem to make no sense (except the Holy Mountain one; one quest specified I need to build Chariots)
- "Climatic Modells" (=> Models. Advance)
- "Enviro[n]ment-Controls" (could be Environmental Controls maybe. Advance).

If more stuff pops up, I'll let you know. (Must remember to save game before entering Sand/Magnetic Storms...):crazyeye:

Done and done The_J. Whoo boy, that was a lot of error messages. I'm not kidding, the size of some of these logs comes out in the megabytes range...and these are text documents! Most of them are pitching a fit about map scripts though...I think you can fix that by renaming your public maps folder to private maps. I think that's what they did in Final Frontier...though I could be wrong there.

Sorry the files are big...though the zip is small (47 kb), oddly enough. The logs tend to repeat themselves a LOT in looking for files it says don't exist...or something. You're going to want to look at the bottom of the PythonErr.log file. I definitely got python errors on a new game start (Custom Game, "random" map script), specifically in CvGameInterface, CvGameInterfaceFile, and CvAppInterface. The exact line errors are at the end of the document...though I recommend liberal use of Ctrl+F to find it.

Attachments

• Tssha's Logs.zip
    46 KB · Views: 223
Hey, I have to say how excited I was about this coming out, like Ive wanted something like this for awhile and ever since the SimCity mars failed on me on just about every other building I was saddened. Yet I have to say I also have the missing interface issue. Ive read through this and tried to figure out what could be wrong, I deleted the 2 folders you suggested on page 2 and turned off the over redundant UAC and even removed steam from my system to check... Much sadness I can play but its hard to use the construction ships cause I just cant remember the key bindings for all the actions. Also changing what a city is building is well nil possible. Hopefully yall can find a solution or a hotfix.

@Starsfreedom: yes, i hope too :(.

BTW -- yes I can see all three US leaders when I chose my initial civ. Is that what you meant?

:confused: what did you do with FinalFrontier? Did you delete the folder?
If yes: You shouldn't be able to see the 3. leader :confused:.

But the graphics are there, so this can't be the reason.

@The_J: Thanks for the reply. (And you're welcome.);)

:hmm: maybe i'm having dementia, but i really don't know, what you mean.

Started another game (as my previous start position turned out to be really crappy) on Noble level and noticed some more stuff:

Yes, the map-generator is not the best, but i don't know, how to optimize it.

If more stuff pops up, I'll let you know. (Must remember to save game before entering Sand/Magnetic Storms...):crazyeye:

Does it only crash when moving on features? Or also on plots without features?

Done and done The_J. Whoo boy, that was a lot of error messages. I'm not kidding, the size of some of these logs comes out in the megabytes range...and these are text documents! Most of them are pitching a fit about map scripts though...I think you can fix that by renaming your public maps folder to private maps. I think that's what they did in Final Frontier...though I could be wrong there.

Sorry the files are big...though the zip is small (47 kb), oddly enough. The logs tend to repeat themselves a LOT in looking for files it says don't exist...or something. You're going to want to look at the bottom of the PythonErr.log file. I definitely got python errors on a new game start (Custom Game, "random" map script), specifically in CvGameInterface, CvGameInterfaceFile, and CvAppInterface. The exact line errors are at the end of the document...though I recommend liberal use of Ctrl+F to find it.

:eek::cry::mad::scared: what...???

The bold sentence: I can't produce the error, so you have to say me, if this can fix it :).
Could you rename the "marsjetzt-v02"-publicMaps-folder to privateMaps, and report, what happens?

Hey The J, it finally works :D i just reinstalled it.. shame lol looks good ur mod btw :)

Oh, good to hear that :), one thing less to concern about :).

Well, so much for my PrivateMaps folder name theory. Although I do think it's behind the Play Now! button being greyed out, I don't think it's axing the interface.

Either way, renaming the folder didn't work. It didn't change much of anything, in fact. I got the same number of error messages both ways.

I still think the Interface files are the ones to look through.

...why it was scanning my regular PublicMaps folder (...\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps), I have no idea.

I'm making maps and map scripts for my Future mod and I found that putting them in Private Maps works much better. Also, when referencing other standard mods that are part of the game installation, you don't have to give the whole path starting with C:/ProgramFiles...

This is good enough:
<Button>Mods/The Road to War/Assets/Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Frigate.dds</Button>

I'm going to use your plains terrain texture for my future mod's Mars terrain, combined with the Afterworld Grass detail.

:hmm: maybe i'm having dementia, but i really don't know, what you mean.

I don't know about dementia, I was just thanking you for your reply to my comments.

Yes, the map-generator is not the best, but i don't know, how to optimize it.

That's OK, you can get a crappy start position on any map, not just yours.

Does it only crash when moving on features? Or also on plots without features?

I only get a CTD when entering a Sand/Magnetic Storm square - and then only rarely; so it's not consistent, but that's the only occasion when it occurs.

Some more stuff:

- Light Fighters can't seem to intercept (no button); is this intentional?
- "A Southamerican philosopher has stirred up..." (Event; should be "South American")
- my airliners seem to crash a lot in other civs' territories (sometimes 2 times in just 2 turns.

Talk to you later.;)

looks amazing...

just curious, on the screenshot, the upkeep for 1 turn is over a million gold?

Well, so much for my PrivateMaps folder name theory. Although I do think it's behind the Play Now! button being greyed out, I don't think it's axing the interface.

:hmm: i think, this is related to the not working/not loaded mapscripts, and is not a bug on its own.

Either way, renaming the folder didn't work. It didn't change much of anything, in fact. I got the same number of error messages both ways.

I still think the Interface files are the ones to look through.

...why it was scanning my regular PublicMaps folder (...\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps), I have no idea.

:confused: man, that's getting really mysterious.
I've looked again at the logfiles, and i think, it could still be a problem with the path.
The first error occurs, when the mod tries to load CvEventInterface.py. But i don't have this file in my mod, it's a file from Vanilla.

Next attempt: Go into your Civ4\Assets\Python\EntryPoints-folder, copy the CvEventInterface.py, and add it to the marsjetzt-v02\assets\python\entrypoints-folder.
Please attach the log, when this is not solving the problem.

I'm making maps and map scripts for my Future mod and I found that putting them in Private Maps works much better. Also, when referencing other standard mods that are part of the game installation, you don't have to give the whole path starting with C:/ProgramFiles...

This is good enough:
<Button>Mods/The Road to War/Assets/Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Frigate.dds</Button>

Yes, i also thought this, the FF-artfiles are linked like this.

What is working better, when you put them in your privateMaps-folder?

I'm going to use your plains terrain texture for my future mod's Mars terrain, combined with the Afterworld Grass detail.

Use it :D.

:hmm: There's afterworld-grass?

I don't know about dementia, I was just thanking you for your reply to my comments.

Ah, okay :).
I thought, this goes without saying.
It's my mod, and i'll reply to everyone, who has a question, a problem, or just said something interesting.
And i'll read all replies here :).

That's OK, you can get a crappy start position on any map, not just yours.

Thought, it could have been worse than on others, but so it's okay :).

I only get a CTD when entering a Sand/Magnetic Storm square - and then only rarely; so it's not consistent, but that's the only occasion when it occurs.

:hmm: strange.

Some more stuff:

- Light Fighters can't seem to intercept (no button); is this intentional?
- "A Southamerican philosopher has stirred up..." (Event; should be "South American")
- my airliners seem to crash a lot in other civs' territories (sometimes 2 times in just 2 turns.

-> will be fixed.
Patch is in work, will be released tomorrow.
Maybe i'll add 1 or 2 new features, when i have some time...

Talk to you later.;)

:D

looks amazing...

just curious, on the screenshot, the upkeep for 1 turn is over a million gold?

This is a bug, when you're playing with an account without admin-rights (or with UAC running). Without that, this doesn't appear. I was to lazy, to change my accout, so i took this picture. I'll replace it.

Looking good :)

Hopefully the interface issue will be solved soon:)

You too?

Top Bottom