LINESII- Into the Darkness- Part II

Disenfrancised said:
Whats the hurry? Relax and take things easy :cool:

Now your going to turn your nation into somekind of RL jamaica aint you! I can be accused of something like that too. Only with more Piracy and ripp-offing and changing this whack religion.

Cleric said:
Now your going to turn your nation into somekind of RL jamaica aint you! I can be accused of something like that too. Only with more Piracy and ripp-offing and changing this whack religion.

Lord no, I have a far different plan for these guys.

Disenfrancised said:
That the answer to your question has pretty much already been covered in the posts following the one you quoted.

Jesus your fighting me all the way here, whats all that stuff about pivots and red trees supposed to mean? and why even bother coming up with your own language when you can just write it in English?
Was it supposed to improve your culture or somthing because it seems like it doesnt mean anything.

Disenfrancised said:
Lord no, I have a far different plan for these guys.

I coud have sworn that I saw your dudes rolling up joints and going Yah man!

Cleric said:
I coud have sworn that I saw your dudes rolling up joints and going Yah man!

Well they can do that ;) but the culture and aims will be different

emu said:
Jesus your fighting me all the way here, whats all that stuff about pivots and red trees supposed to mean? and why even bother coming up with your own language when you can just write it in English?
Was it supposed to improve your culture or somthing because it seems like it doesnt mean anything.

*sigh*

Pivot = a pole (i.e on what the night sky turns or pivots)
Strides = some measure of latitude
Red Trees is just an island, probably a famous one, used as a signpost on the way to where Belili is.

Why? because I damn well can, thats why :D - also there are other reasons.

A week and a half of raining had watered the mountains well–even though it was approaching winter, and the snows were again on the advance, the streams still rushed by, waters almost up to overflowing. The spring minnows were not faring so well this autumn, having to struggle upstream against the waters at every step of the way.

Kal tripped over his own moccasins, and cursed himself for looking so foolish, but he could not help it. His mind seemed ignorant of his body, and both of those were strangers to his soul–he felt out of place everywhere, and awkward besides, tripping over his ungainly long limbs. He was soon to become a man, he knew, but the journey was not nearly as enjoyable as he hoped the destination would be.

He shook his head at himself, and continued onwards, slipping in the ankle deep snows that they were traveling through, though thankfully he never lost his moccasins.

The ramids his clan was herding were completely oblivious to his struggles, though for a moment he imagined that one turned his head, looked him over, and shook his head with a snort. He also caught a glimpse of his father up ahead, stern and solemn, but the sight was blocked by the massive bulk of a ramid as quickly as it had appeared.

The terrain was becoming more hilly the further they went, a rolling blanket of forest covering the hills as they went onward toward the horizon, and out of sight. A few of the ramids paused momentarily to snap a branch off of a tree with surprising tenderness, then chewing it voraciously; several more occasionally stooped to drink from the stream with such ferocity it was surprising that there was still water in it when they finished.

Then there was sudden shouting from the head of the column; men were in panic for some reason, and calls rang out. One of the men, Sahar, ran back, white faced and looking as though he had seen death itself come.

“Get the children to safety,” he babbled to no one in particular. His eyes latched on Kal.

“Kal! Are you old enough to hold a spear yet?”

“Of course I am.” He felt affronted.

“Then get to the front of the column. The Fairhelt clan sent a few raiders; they’re square in our path.”

Kal felt a sudden constriction in his heart. It was not supposed to be this way. No clans were supposed to attack each other in autumn, not with winter oncoming–

“Go!”

He nodded brusquely, and ran lightly to the front, the snow crunching slightly under his moccasins. Once or twice he almost slipped and fell, but he managed to regain his balance by catching the fur of a ramid to steady himself.

Kal grabbed a spear from the back of one of the ramids, and went up to the very front, where a minor skirmish was already ensuing. It became clear to him at once that, though his clan were not outnumbered by these men, that if someone did not do something, the raiders would do far too much damage.

Hefting his spear, he leapt into the fray.

The sights and sounds of battle filled his sense, as the men of the forests danced and whirled, while several wooly ramids lumbered past, plowing great holes in the lines, mangling bodies of the Fairhelt raiders. He dashed at one of the raiders immediately, and suddenly was locked in combat. The spears danced at each other, lashing out. He parried the other’s blows as best he could, but his opponent had a shield where Kal had none.

A great stab opened up the side of his shoulder, blood pouring out through the furs, and he felt slightly dizzy as the raider grinned and raised himself for the killing blow.

The spear was useless now, too long to pivot to strike this man, so Kal grabbed his dagger from his belt, dived low, and drove the bronze deep into the man’s belly, twisting it. When he pulled it out, a warm gout of foul smelling blood greeted him; the vandal toppled over, his eyes glazed, his knees folding in a forever silent prayer.

Kal fumbled at the man’s shield, wanting to claim it for his own, but it was strapped to the raider’s arm, as suddenly another one of the enemies was bearing down on him. Desperate, he slashed at the straps, opening up the dead man’s arm, and blood slowly poured out onto his shield, even as Kal wrenched it out from under the dead flesh and brought it overhead to take the blow from this new foe’s sword.

The metal met wood in a dull thunk, and the man cursed, but Kal knew he was doomed unless he did something. He rose and shoved the shield in his foes’s face, driving him back temporarily, but his bronze dagger only just caught the return blow from the raider’s sword, and he felt the shock go through his arm heavily. Somehow he retained his grip on the knife, and pressed onward, trying to stab, but meeting only hard wood, which smashed against his closed fist. This time, he really did drop the dagger.

* * * * * * * * *​

Merhai
Cities: None
Leader: Kahir the Fox/North King
Religion: Animism
Government: Tribal Council
Economy: 2- 2/0
Population: To be determined by me
Army: To be determined by me
Navy: None
Education: None
Technology: Copper Age
Confidence: Tolerating
Culture: None
Wonders:
Description: The Merhai, or rather, this branch of the Merhai, were a peaceful people, herding their wooly ramids for sustenance, and catching the creatures of the forest to take their furs south to trade. But in recent years, the Fairhelt clan of the Merhai grew to become ambitious, and drove the other Merhai out of their valley to the south. Thus, a union of clans, under the leadership of Kahir the Fox, made the journey out of the valley, over the high mountains, and on a migration southward. Herding their wooly ramids, these clans now look for a better future elsewhere, and their dream of settling a new nation has begun to pick up more support from the tribes that they pass along the way.

that nation is interesting

Connall stared through the smoke issuing from the fire blazing in the Great Hall. The assembled chieftains were in an uproar, all yelling at once, spitting insults, and screaming threats. They were bitterly divided over the Strangers' offer. Were they messangers from the mighty Sky Gods? Or were they demons here to guide them astray? Surely the Sky Gods desired the Testing, how else could they decide who to present with gifts? But then why did not the Sky Gods come bearing weapons, but tools of peace? These were the questions and everyone had their own opinion.

"We should kill them and offer them to the Sky Gods upon the next Descent!"

"You fools! Of course the Gods want peace, we must cease our wars and listen to the Citadel!"

"Why kill them? We should imprison them! The next Descent is not far off now!"

"You would change things that have been this way for countless ages! You have been deceived by devils!"

And so on.

Connall finally grew tired of it all. He motioned with a hand and two large bodyguards stepped forward into the middle of the room. The unarmed chieftains understood the statement quite well and, despite their flaring tempers, restrained themselves and waited for the War Chief to speak. He spoke slowly, deliberately. No one would dare speak over him in his stronghold.

"Aodhaem, you are right. Things have been this way for countless ages. The exact same way. Shall we go on forever, tearing down what we build up with the Sky God's gifts? Perhaps these Strangers are right. Perhaps not. But at the very least, I believe this is a sign from Dagda Himself, the Great Warrior of the Tuatha de Divail [1]. I believe He wants us to, at the very least, stop fighting each other. This has brought us nothing. To be strong, especially with possibility of numerous strong nations across the Saefern Mutha. We will allow their Godspeakers to come among our people. We will hear what more they have to say and we will cooperate. That does not mean I will let this land become weak, or that I will not fight any of those who oppose my rule. That is defense, and they have no law against that. We will reconvene tomorrow, for we are all very tired and it is late. Tomorrow, my lords, I will hear your counsel. But tonight, my word is law."

Connall watched as the Chieftains began to leave, congregating in small groups to discuss the latest session of the Council. Lately, he'd had to threaten them more and more to get things done. They were becoming unruly and something would have to be done.

My word is law. Not true, yet. But soon. Soon.

Ida'an'i'i
Cities: None
Leader: The Tha'o'i/Disenfrancised
Religion: Animism
Government: Council of Chiefs/the Mua'i'i
Economy: 2- 2/0
Population: To be determined by me
Army: To be determined by me
Navy: None
Education: None
Technology: Copper Age
Confidence: Tolerating
Culture: None
Wonders:
Background: The Ida'an'i'i (Lit: People of the Fat Sea) have expanded out onto the open seas from Ol'o ("the first place"); fishing, and sailing, and warring with other I'i tribes. However a few crucial advantages have lead them to dominate their wide spaced islands and subjucate and assimilate the weaker tribes. The first is a crude system of marks that can pass for writing in a good light, the second is the domesication of the Thee'ul, a species of large black seagull that can carry these written messages from island to island, keeping the chiefs in contact and making them a true nation. The third, and most important is the institution of the Mua'i'i; a tribe within the tribe, an aristocracy of knowledge. Trained and bred for eidactic memories, each Mua'i'i' is a storehouse of songs and learning - map songs, building songs, teaching songs, and whenever two Mua'i'i meet they share their knowledge. Thus the culture of the Ida'an'i'i is spread throughout the islands, and they retain a unique sense of identity.

Lord_Iggy said:
Your stats are 120 000 Refugees in Gorin.

Can I assume, then, that my culture is still Wonder of the World? What of my confidence? Do I have two or none spending points? I prolly should've PM'd you this, but.

OR, does this mean I should take over Gorin altogether?

Your culture is utterly broken, mostly a memory. Your people live on, and within them, fragments of the former glory of Shalamari survive.

When do you want orders btw Iggy
Next week. No update this weekend. It's going to be a longish update, as the only two wars look to be over soon. Unless a lot changes, the Nurmaferis will get crushed within one turn, as will the Emorans. Then, there will be time to do a century or two update. Not a BT, just a longer IT.

I'm adding those new nations to the map, BTW.

nope, we won't get Crushed. I'm currently trying to talk to contempt. I'm eather going to pay Tribute, or surrender. I hope it's just tribute.

eh, and the worse case, we surrender and preserve ourselves for a few Turns under their Rule. then Pop back up and rebel, takeing ..

hmm actuall,y I might just surrnder outright with a few small conditions. A small vacation from this Nes might be what I need. and If I surrender right, I can still Reclaim Emor later, when the Lengal empier starts to Crumble in the distant future. eh, haven't decided yet. have to wait to talk to contempt.

I will definitely have a good vacation from NESing altogether. It's time for me to undergo what Finmaster has already Finnished. :p

I'm leaving for the army on Wednesday, and won't be back until at least a few weeks, at least. Which means I will most likely not even see what becomes of my exodus until I get back on leave. Luckily, I'm in the Royal Guard, and will be able to get home on most weekends. Still, I need to get through boot camp first, and that is in nowhere. For now, just NPC me after my orders for this turn.

You poor Finns, I heard a rumor that you could evade army service by claiming computer addiction though ;)

For the record, I'm Norwegian/Japanese, alex. ;)

To Emor
From the Lengel

There will be no peace, unless your people surrender fully to the Lengelzai, becoming a province of the Empire. We may allow autonomy, but that depends on the quickness of your surrender. We remind you, that any rebellion will be put down with utmost contempt, and events similar to Shalamari will remind you of your place.

is the next update the century update?

Iggy, not to seem impatient, but when will we get the map with the new nations? I'm anxious to know what my surrounding geography looks like.

Faradin felt lost in the city. Keliosir was not his home village of Halsir, not by a long shot. It was immense and sprawling, like a giant slumbering across the tops of its three hills and settling into the valleys. The walls about the city were themselves taller than any building he had seen before, but within those walls far higher buildings rose, some light and delicate and others solid and strong. And, of course, everywhere people filled the streets to overflowing, jostling their way through the crowds. Vendors not only from the city and the countryside, but also from Alsidir and lands beyond the mountains lined the markets, hawking wares from the most mundane (wheat cakes) to exotic tapestries bought only by the extremely wealthy. Faradin thought it very well that he would be staying only a short time in the city, for he would never fit in with the city folk.

His job was simple, his goal not far away. Faradin had only to reach the holy Hall of the Council, to deliver a message and receive one in turn, and he would be off back to Halsir. It all had seemed so simple until he set forth from his inn near the east gate that morning. Now, he was hopelessly lost in the winding streets, the holy Hall eluding him. He could see it standing out atop the highest of the three hills, and he had been following streets that seemed to lead towards it all day but never seemed to get closer. At this point, it seemed like a very good plan to return to the inn and set out for the holy Hall the next day. However, just as this idea sprung into his head, Faradin spotted the blue-and-white robes of a Guide out of the corner of his eye. Turning towards the flash of deep blue, he yelled out for the Guide to stop. He did.

“Young Follower, what may I assist you with?”

Slightly embarrassed, Faradin managed to mumble, “I’m afraid I’m new to Keliosir and have gotten somewhat lost. Could you guide me to the holy Hall of the Council?”

The Guide broke into a wide smile. “A pilgrim, are you? Come to watch the will of the Path, or simply to see the holy Hall? Certainly, I will show you the way. Follow me.” He began to walk rather quickly down the street Faradin had just come up. Faradin struggled to catch up.

“Actually, I’m not here on a pilgrimage per se, although I very much look forward to seeing the holy Hall up close. I have a sealed letter from the House near my hometown that must be delivered to the Revered Almadin.[1] Do you know the man?”

“Yes, yes, I do, though I am wondering what a rural House would have to write to the Revered that is of too great importance for pigeon-post. Come along, keep up.”

Faradin scrambled after the Guide; she was not as old as one might expect, and apparently quite active. They passed through tiny alleyways and across wide avenues before finally coming to a large square above which rose the long steps up the holy Hall. The Guide stopped short. “Well, here you are.”

“Thank you very much. I only hope I can find someone as good at guiding me to find my way back to my inn!”

“There are always Guides around the holy Hall, young Follower, and we are always willing to help someone out.” And, with that, she turned and quickly disappeared into the crowd.

He looked up with reverence at the holy Hall. Only one thing to do then. He began to climb the steps.

[1]I have decided against writing a story about Almadin's election as Revered. Suffice to say that he was a compromise choice.

Top Bottom