The AI in this game is BS.

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Okay, so I'm playing for a domination victory. I take out Alexander and Darius.

But man, I swear in EVERY game this same bull happens.

There is ALWAYS one superpowered aggressive trash talking AI who always declares war.

I mean it's BS man. You can NOT possibly have as many units as the AI; then have enough units to protect your cities. It's just BS man.

I'm fighting Elizabeth and finally take her city, which took forever to take. Then out of nowhere Elizabeth gets a city state to declare war on me. Which she can do, because the AI has infinite money.

Freaking BS man. I swear to god I'm just going to start capturing city states in the beggining. They don't do anything but screw you over.

You probably just have to get a little better at making armies. The purpose of an army is to take and hold land. If you can't take and hold land, then you don't have an army.

I just gave up on a game. I was Sweden on a small map. Carthage was to my west, Iroquois to my south and Rome/Arabia to my east. I'm friendly with everyone, and have a defense treaty with America who is between Rome and Iroquois. I see Iroquois forces gathering on my border. Then they declare war on America, triggering my defense treaty against a friendly nation. Now everyone hates me, and starts declaring war, including America. Two turns later, the Iroquois and America sign a peace treaty. Talk about a devious move. It is obvious by the placement of their units that I was the Iroquois' real target. Luckily I had Caroleans and had picked the 30 HP healing, so it was almost impossible to kill me, but I also could not stray too far from a city considering that my entire army was about a quarter of any of them, let alone 5 of them. They refused peace, and just took turns sending wave after wave on units at my 2 border cities. While this was happening, the Spanish had exploded with cities everywhere, and jumped out to such a tech lead that I was never going to catch up. I gave up once the Spanish turned hostile for no reason, and they had airplanes, and battleships and infantry, and all I had was Caroleans and artillery.

Sometimes, I think all of the AIs just decide to dogpile the human and take him out.

^L O L !!!!! Babylon did something similar to this to me once when I accepted his invitation to DOW Greece (I wanted to beat up on Greece anyway and didn't care). the very next turn Babylon denounced me :lol:

only time i ever enter into a defense pact is when there's only 1 super-superpower and then there's me and a mediocre civ left. i will enter into a DP with the mediocre civ when i know for a fact that i'll be at war with the super-superpower soon.

A smaller, but better positioned army can easily destroy a large, attacking army.

Keep ranged units on the hills, and melee units in front of them. Use the terrain to your advantage - block mountain passes with melee units, and guard your lands by placing units behind rivers. Tempt the enemy army towards your city, and use the city's bombardment as support. Build the Himeji Castle. Play as Japan, Ethiopia, etc. Use quick units such as horsemen to hunt down wounded units, or to outflank the enemy. Use pincer movements instead of keeping units lined up in a row. Focus on science so that your units are stronger.

City states at war with me tend to leave me alone. Even if they send an army at me they cant take any cities. What level are you playing at CivAddict2013?

I believe you just have to focus more on defending (especially if you go coastal).
Make sure every city has a respectably-upgraded ranged inside, and you have some horses / infantry close to the danger points and ready to get into action if anything happens.

You don't need many units to attack anyways.
2 lvl 10 rangeds and a horse can make a conquest army by themselves.

Sometimes, I think all of the AIs just decide to dogpile the human and take him out.

Yea, but to be fair to the AI, I did see every Civ pile on the Mongols in my present game. It was quite interesting not being the centre of attention for a change. But then I worked hard on peace while Genghis worked hard annoying everyone!

So it can happen the other way.

True, the AI tends to spam units like crazy. Sometimes I think the developers do this to create more balance. Since the AI can't strategize and maximize unit placement like a human can, sheer enemy numbers keeps wars somewhat entertaining.

True, the AI tends to spam units like crazy. Sometimes I think the developers do this to create more balance. Since the AI can't strategize and maximize unit placement like a human can, sheer enemy numbers keeps wars somewhat entertaining.

I totally agree. My war was tons of run shifting my small army around to meet each new offensive. I just wish Spain hadn't gotten so far ahead, because you know those bombers were coming my way soon and I was nowhere near having a defense against that.

Top Bottom