Still no sea resources for capitals?

GhostSalsa

Emperor
Is anyone getting seeded with more than one sea resource tile on ocean starts? This still seems to be absurdly rare. I just seeded four games as Venice on Standard Continents and for all games together my total sea resources within three-tile radius were: 1 whale.

.25 sea resources per ocean capital. 3 starts with 0 sea resources. Guaranteed deficit value for all three coast buildings downstream. And in one of the big game previews it was said Venice is favored for the best coastal starts?

I haven't played a game with two sea luxes in a capital since Vanilla. It just doesn't happen. The best I've gotten in the last thirteen months is one lux + two fish, and that is usually with moving my first settler.

Why do the designers create all these sea-based, early-game flavored civs that won't get a good ocean spot anyway?

Why do the designers add tons of depth to ocean warfare and economy every expansion but make it impossible to get anything out of work boats until you scout your third city?

Why do we have all these hugely expensive buildings to beef up sea resources and now a tree to add value to those buildings but no sea resources to justify them?

Yes, I am playing on continents, not arch., but that should be the idea of the designers going out of the way to put naval investments on economic parity over the last two years, rather than all naval civs existing as some kind of ghettoized mini-game.

I have to say, you have bad luck with starts.

I've noticed this too. Even if I start with Venice, a team programmed to have the best coastal starts, I rarely get sea resources. It's frustrating because a lot of coastal perks are built around them and I personally never see much of them at all.

Might be a map script issue or something. I had 2-3 sea ressources in 3 of my 4 Venice games - and none at all in the 4th.

My first game as Venice I had a coastal start with 2 crab, a fish and a whales. My second game as Poland I had a coastal start with 3 crab and a fish.

I would say they are there just fine, you are just unlucky.

My first game as Venice had 2 crab, 2 fish next to my default starting position on Fractal map.

I've started one BNW game (I've been traveling all week), as Poland, and got a start with three whales and a fish. Sample size is obviously uselessly small, but it obviously CAN happen.

It's known that Venice gets "first pick" of spots and has a coastal bias. This is pure speculation, not backed up by anything that I know about, but maybe it's possible that when considering spots, the algorithm that decides where you go values land resources slightly higher than it values sea resources? (They require more production to improve, even though they're more valuable in some ways.) That would lead to Venice getting starts that tend to have more land resources. It's more likely that the algorithm values them the same, and you've just had bad luck, but it's at least possible. (Unless we know that it isn't.)

My Portugal Capital started with 2 Pearls and 2 Fish and another fish on the third ring. Standard/Fractal

I've seen a couple of starts with good sea resources. Not sure why it matters tho. The ocean start is about cargo ships not sea resources.

Top Bottom