Terracotta Army

Razonatair

Chieftain
Apparently it now gives one copy of each unit type you have, which is pretty powerful for opening war. Had Ottomans use it against my test Venice game, got a crap ton of spearmen and composite bows attacking me all of the sudden a few turns after.

It's gonna be crazy! Just imagine you're Japan and have 7-8 Samurai and then you pop Terracotta Army. Bam!! It would be a bit OP in MP games me thinks.

It's gonna be crazy! Just imagine you're Japan and have 7-8 Samurai and then you pop Terracotta Army. Bam!! It would be a bit OP in MP games me thinks.

You would only get 1 extra Samurai. It doesn't double your whole army, only unit types.
So if you have 5 warriors and 5 archers, the Terracotta Army would give you one extra warrior and one extra archer.

It's the long-lost ancient clone factory!
I'm not really sure what to make of it. One unit of all the types of combat units you have, including scouts. Hmm.

Before it is built, you need to make sure that you have 1 of every military unit type that you can build. Then the Terracotta will give you another set of them.

So has anyone managed to build this yet, or does the AI really go for it?

Also, can anyone clarify something re. "unit type" - if you have units at different stages on the same path, say, an Archer and a Composite Bowman, will you get one of each, or only one Composite Bowman?

Before it is built, you need to make sure that you have 1 of every military unit type that you can build. Then the Terracotta will give you another set of them.
Well ... unless you use a lot of time building all those units, and then the AI takes the wonder first. :p

I liked the old Terracotta not because it was powerful (although 6 culture IS really nice), but mostly because it gave culture in the part of the tech tree where nothing else did. That was the real strength of the Wonder.

I am not really crazy about the new ability.

I liked the old Terracotta not because it was powerful (although 6 culture IS really nice), but mostly because it gave culture in the part of the tech tree where nothing else did. That was the real strength of the Wonder.
Which was exactly why I disliked it. :lol: No seriously though, I'm not a fan of the "consolidation prize" policy, where everybody get access to everything, no matter what path you choose. If you beeline military and production (bottom half), that should open some doors for you (namely conquest), but also mean that you forego other things (science and culture). If you want to do both, you'd need to do a balanced approach, which would probably also mean you wouldn't excel at either, which I think is good game design.

For the same reason, I hate how the fact that you get Pikemen at Civil Service allows you to get by perfectly well by skipping the entire militaristic half of the tech tree after Construction.

Which was exactly why I disliked it. :lol: No seriously though, I'm not a fan of the "consolidation prize" policy, where everybody get access to everything, no matter what path you choose. If you beeline military and production (bottom half), that should open some doors for you (namely conquest), but also mean that you forego other things (science and culture). If you want to do both, you'd need to do a balanced approach, which would probably also mean you wouldn't excel at either, which I think is good game design.

For the same reason, I hate how the fact that you get Pikemen at Civil Service allows you to get by perfectly well by skipping the entire militaristic half of the tech tree after Construction.

I understand that (and I do agree on the Pikemen - I think they were much too weak, and the devs went a bit overboard fixing that, changing too much at once, making Swordsmen not-really-useful), but I disagree. If there was a culture building in the production "branch" of the tree, it would clearly be a bad idea. But a Wonder, so something available only to one player, who has to reach for it fairly early? I like it.

Mixing things up a little bit is, IMO, nicer than just having one branch of the tech tree do exactly one thing, and another almost exclusively focusing on something else. That's why I like that the upper tech tree will now give money (from Trade Routes), while the first gold building is still very much in the lower half.

trust me this wonder is a double edged sword, i had a large army with 5 unit types but when i built it and added 5 units to my army my gpt was in the red bigtime and i had to gift most of them away

lesson learned!

trust me this wonder is a double edged sword, i had a large army with 5 unit types but when i built it and added 5 units to my army my gpt was in the red bigtime and i had to gift most of them away

lesson learned!

I suppose another problem would be resources required for the units. If you have a swordsman, for example, and no iron resources left, obtaining another swordsman would make both inaffective.

Then you just have more fodder to throw at your enemies. The first swordsman to die will make the rest more effective and also lower the GPT maintenance. Not at war yet? Time to DOW when the wonder is finished!

I understand that (...) If there was a culture building in the production "branch" of the tree, it would clearly be a bad idea. But a Wonder, so something available only to one player, who has to reach for it fairly early? I like it.
Good point.

Top Bottom