Civ 5 Trading Cards? What???

Gucumatz

JS, secretly Rod Serling
So I was opening steam today to play a little Civ 5 when I noticed that I had 2 new items in my "inventory". No idea what they could be, I clicked the notification on steam and saw I had 2 Washington Civilization 5 Trading Cards.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what in the brave new world is this?

Its a silly gimmick by Steam.
They gave me Football Manager 2013 cards for my BNW purchase.:crazyeye::confused:

hey I like that gimmick :) I put forth no extra effort to get them, but I do like them! hahah

Not sure it is Civ 5, it is summer trade cards. And you get them with any purchase, they are supposed to be worth $5.00 ea for a total of $10.00 for buying BNW.

Its a great way to sell stuff to others to afford HATS in TF2! No joke. If you played civ enough you could sell all your cards and probably get enough steam credit to buy any new DLC. Granted, someone has to buy your cards, but that's beside the point.

Not sure it is Civ 5, it is summer trade cards. And you get them with any purchase, they are supposed to be worth $5.00 ea for a total of $10.00 for buying BNW.
No, Summer Trading Cards are a specific set.

The trading card 'mechanic' was added a week or so ago, and basically each game has Y number of cards available, and you can earn ~Y/2 cards (it's rounded up in most cases, so a game with 8 cards will give 4 drops, a game with 13 will give 7). You can get a full set and 'craft' them into a profile badge, which gets you - right now - a Summer Trading Card, an emoticon for chat and a background for your profile.

You can sell these things on the market, and it'll put money in your Steam wallet (that you can spend on games - or other cards if you desire), and Steam and the developer (so in this case 2K/Firaxis) take a small cut of that.

Basically, at its most cynical, it's Valve finding a way to make more money out of their customers without making a new game. At its most optimistic, it's a not-too-unfun way to encourage people to replay games they've had in their library again and get rewards for it.

Not a problem!

Edit: I also didn't mention that you can 'craft' a badge five times, I think, to get 'better' badges and more backgrounds/emoticons.

Whoa, I just thought I would take a closer look at my "cards" and one was a little different......it said Steam Gift with an option to trade or Add to my Library, it was freakin Civ IV! I've been wanting to get it, and somehow it just appeared in my library?

Whoa, I just thought I would take a closer look at my "cards" and one was a little different......it said Steam Gift with an option to trade or Add to my Library, it was freakin Civ IV! I've been wanting to get it, and somehow it just appeared in my library?

Yes, I had the same - I've got Civ IV, but not on Steam. It does at least mean I don't need to play with the CD, and can track hours in Civ IV.

It's an apology for putting BNW on sale for 33% less under a week after its release.

It's an apology for putting BNW on sale for 33% less under a week after its release.

Though only those who pre-ordered on Steam get it... to hell with the rest of the customers who pre-ordered from other places, such as myself, eh?

Though only those who pre-ordered on Steam get it... to hell with the rest of the customers who pre-ordered from other places, such as myself, eh?

And it's only vanilla Civ IV, so it's pretty much useless.

I have two Military cards and two Science cards that are selling for about $0.15 each. Where did you get $5/$10?

I got the Civ IV gift card, even though I already have Civ IV and all of the expansions (never once installed) waiting in my library. ._.

I have two Military cards and two Science cards that are selling for about $0.15 each. Where did you get $5/$10?
The Summer Trading Cards are not the same as game-specific ones. The Military and Science cards are part of a set you could probably label "Civilization V Series 1". They're achieved through playing the game (they're awarded at random points).

The Summer Trading cards come through crafting badges (getting a full set of cards first) or for every $10 you spend in the Steam store during the sale.

I didn't pre-order. I bought Civ5 from Steam the day it came out and I got the Civ4 gift too. I don't want it though. I want to ask them to take it back.

Top Bottom