New (updated) Standard Earth Map.

Harrier

Deity
C2C Standard Earth Map - Pre Columbian version with 20 civilizations.

NEW: Now a version with no preset Civs.

Updated 23rd August 2015

28 Oct. 2015. Edited for version 36. (V35 versions removed.)

This map is now bigger than the previous SEM map. I have added 8 more columns. This was to increase the size of the Atlantic (3) and Pacific (5) oceans.

The map now has 4784 plots, while the original SEM has 4368 plots, this version has added an additional 416 plots.

Attached is my latest version of the SEM (Standard Earth Map). This is a Pre Columbian map using any civilization before the 1500's.

This is based on the SEM map. Thanks go to RIDETHESPIRAL23 for the original C2C SEM map, DRJ who resurected the first map and the original creator Ronyboss. Also I have used ideas discussed in the GEM forum, so thanks to them also.

It is still a work in progress and I will try to keep it up to date with any changes that are made to C2C.

As with GEM, I'm trying to keep resource placement similar to the Real Earth, which is difficult on a standard map (very little space). Therefore some resources have been placed on mountains. Those resources will not be accessable until the Industrial Era. You will need to ensure the option "Usable Mountains" is selected, via the BUG screens (It is on by default).

Being a Pre-Columbian scenario, there will be no potatoes etc. in Europe or horses etc. in America.

.....................................................................................................................................
Instalation instructions:

1. Download and extract the contents into a folder of your choice. Then copy the map into the "Private Maps" folder of the C2C mod.

i.e. ...\Firaxis Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Private Maps

2. Load up C2C and initially select the "Custom Scenario" option to choose your gameplay settings. From then on use "Load Game" as normal.

.....................................................................................................................................

Feedback is welcome. If you want to give suggestions for changes, please back them up with reasons.

Current version updated 23 Aug 2015.

Note these maps are in the SVN and Ver. 36 download.

The first option has 20 pre-set Civs. (Note: This is not really supported by C2C, due to the load it adds to the game.)

The second version has no preset Civs - uses random Civs and Leaders.

NEWS: (Oct 2015) I will be soon including a 7 Civ pre-set version, when I have finished updating the map. Also I will post my own animal spawn file, for those that want to install it. (This will not be in the SVN.)

EDIT 10/04/16

These maps are now for version 36 only as they are not compatible with the current SVN version of C2C.

The versions on the SVN (in PrivateMaps) are compatible. SVN version 9208.

Harrier.

Previous downloads V35: Custom 76, Replacement 73. Now removed .

Previous downloads for pre-set Civs version was 40.
No preset Civs is new.

Attachments

• SEM_Plus_with_20_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    493.2 KB · Views: 214
  • SEM_Plus_no_preset_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    494.4 KB · Views: 191
CHANGE LOGS.
1. Dated: 14 02 2014.

This is the change log of my previous release that is in the "Standard Earth Map Pack" thread.

Major changes:

1. Added Natural Wonders.
2. Added missing resources.
3. Added extra features/bonus's to the map.
4. Added extra land in some areas.

For a full list:

Spoiler :
SEM Map. Version 14/02/13. (My version 1.) Harrier.

This is my first attempt at altering maps. So expect discrepancies. All feedback welcome - good or bad. Also suggestions for additions/removals etcm wanted.

Until I get a new PC, I can only play C2C on Standard Maps or smaller. (XP - MAFs). So I am tinkering with this map inbetween starting new games.

Changes:

1. Added 21 Natural Wonders.

2. Added 10 missing (new since 2012) bonus resources. Tried to place them in correct places (at least 2 or 3 of each).

COCA
GEODE
VANILLA
HENNA
GUINEA_PIG
PARROTS
TURQUOSE
GUAVA
KAVA
FOSSIL (random placement)

3. Increased a few bonus resources from 1 to either 2 or 3. Also placed a few others in areas I thought they should. be (i.e. Coconuts in S.E. Asia.)

4. Altered (Increased) landmasses. Either to add new bonuses or asthetics.

England, Ireland, S. America, New Zealand, Arabia, Japan, added Iceland (1 tile).

5. Added Storms and tornadoes.

6. added caves, cactus, Peat bog.

7. Added rock outcrops all types.

8. Altered flag decal for huns. From team to flag. Get correct display now.

9. Moved Zulus further down the map (from Kenya/Tanzania nearer to South Africa). Also moved Congolese to river. They could not grow surrounded by jungle.

10. Added Maori to New Zealand. I realise this is not correct history wise. (They only arrived on the islands about 850AD) But a one tile polynesian island is to small for a civ to grow. Also it gives the Aborigines someone to fight with. If you do not like this addition I will remove it, from the uploaded version. [feedback?].

Lastly thanks to RIDETHESPIRAL23 who made the inital C2C map and his tutorial, DRJ who resurected the map and the original creator.

Enjoy.

2. Dated: 27 04 2014.

Major changes:

1. Altered Latitude and Longitude.
2. Made the map pre columbian. (not many changes needed.)
3. Added extra Bonus's to the map.
4. Changed relevant coasts to Polar or Tropical.
5. Added a new Custom_Civilizations folder.
6. Removed 12 Civs to allow other civs to expand easier and animals to spawn more.

For a full list:

Spoiler :
SEM version 27/04/14. Version 2 Harrier.

1. Adjusted Latitude so the Equator is near Kenya (Lake).

2. Altered map so Longitude 0 is now in England. Unfortunatly as the map is not to scale - longitude gets distorted as you move further away from 0.

3. Removed horse from America and checked that potato, tobacco, pumpkin, papaya, squash and corn were only in Americas. Also that they have no wheat, barley, rice, or sugar. Added sheep to USA - represents the Dall and Bighorn varieties. Removed sheep from New Zealand (replaced with deer - Maouri's need some food).

This version of the map is now pre-columbian.

4. Removed Route Tracks. If you previously moved the Settler a pathway appeared.

5. Removed Beacons from Reefs. My previous error

6. Moved a few Bonuses 1 or 2 tiles, to try encourage AI to found cities on plots I would have used but they ignored.

7. Removed STORMS and TORNADOS (I had added in the previous version) after having read some thread posts.

8. Removed the following civs: Phillipines, France, Spain,Sumeria, Congo, Maya, Hunnia, Tibet, Etheopia, Celts, and Cherokee.

9. Replaced Lower Sioux with Apache (Geronimo) and added Jivaro to South America. The Tupi need a rival.

10. Changed Coast To Tropical Coast between y= 12 to 32 plots. Added Polar coasts and oceans y=51,50 and y = 1,0 plots.

11. Added a few ICE tiles around Greenland. To try and limit new/Old world contact too early.

12. Moved Industrial Resources - Coal, Oil, Uranium - onto mountains. (if only 2 tiles differance) Therefore the game needs "Usable Mountains" option.

13. Added more bonus's to correct (as space allowed) locations when absent.

14. Added Sea grasses and moved Caves to more realistic places (was random placement before). Also removed Outcrops/fossils/relics pending review of places they are found.

NEW Third update.

3. Dated: 28 05 2014.

Major changes:

1. Made the map slightly bigger by adding 8 more Ocean columns. 10% increase in size.
2. Moved the positions of Australia and New Zealand slightly.
3. Added fossils, ancient relics, outcrops and reefs.
4. Added extra resources to the map to fit Cultural Bonus's.
5. Moved some Civ start locations and removed 2 more (they never performed well by the AI).

For a full list:

Spoiler :
SEM version 28/05/14. Version 3 by Harrier.

1. This map is now bigger than the previous SEM map. I have added 8 more columns. This was to increase the size of the Atlantic (3) and Pacific (5) oceans.

The map now has 4784 plots, while the original SEM has 4368 plots, this version has added an additional 416 plots.

2. Added fossils to the map - mostly on mountains. At least 1 of each digsite type.

3. A few more caves added.

4. Added Ancient Relics to the map. In near historical locations.

5. Re-added outcrops to the map, now slightly more historically accurate rather than just random. Except for polar that are random.

6. Added a few more resources and changed a few terrain types.

7. Added some reefs -random.

8. Checked and altered some resources to generate the Cultural Bonuses in reasonably correct locations.

9. Added lots more goody huts. Probably to many.

10. Changed some Civ start locations. England, Germany, Russia, Iroquois, Sioux, Zulu and Egypt.

11. Moved Australia and New Zealand a couple of plots away from Indonesia to delay early contact. Coastal tiles now link Australia and New Zealand.

12. Removed Arabia and Korea. Now has 27 civs.

Note: I played over 10 Auto-AI games for 400 turns to ensure all civs performed almost equally. Except for three island locked civs (who only founded 2 or 3 cities) the rest achieved at least 3 or 4 cities. Some achieved 6 to 8, but not all the time.

NEW Fourth update.

4. Dated: 25 06 2014.

Major changes:

1. Added a map that does not have custom civs.
2. Added more land to Japan.
3. Added a few Goody Islands to the map.
4. Added a few City Ruins to activate events. (No city razing is on by default).

For a full list:

Spoiler :
SEM version 28/06/14. Version 4 by Harrier.

1. There are now 2 versions. One with custom civs, that involves overwriting a C2C folder every time you update. Only available from the forom.

The other uses existing civs with the names being replaced. e.g. The Tupi use the Maya civ and a leader, but are still called the Tupi. This will be C2C compatible and be included in the next release (version 35) and the SVN.

2. Moved Japan start back to Mnt. Fuji. Also added extra land tiles.

3. Made some map plot adjustments. Added and moved rivers. Moved some bonus tiles around. Added and altered terain features etc. (Europe and USA) Usually after gameplay.

4. As "No City Razing" is now on by default. I added a few City Ruins to the map - to trigger related events.

5. Added a few goody islands, in locations that have islands. Like goody huts they will disappear when moved onto.

NEW Fifth update.

5. Dated: 15 10 2014.

IMPORTANT - different versions for C2C version 35 and SVN.

Major changes:

1. A new SVN custom civs map - post SVN 7943. The Apache Civ is removed from this version..
2. Added and removed resources on the map.
3. Tree types now match terrain.
4. Quite a few minor changes to the map (due to gameplay).

For a full list:

Spoiler :
SEM version 15/10/14. Version 5 by Harrier.

1. Added a lot of missing resources to the map at almost correct locations. e.g. Natural Gas, Turquoise, Lead, Uranium etc.

They were on the map, but not in all the correct locations. Also a few terrain changes have been made.

2. Added some more culture bonus's.

3. Removed some resources from the map (Mainly in Europe and Pacific - mostly deer, mushroom and beaver) - to give empty plots. The Great Farmer can now plant New/Old World resources when initially traded/found.

4. Moved start positions of England, New Zealand, Russia and Khmer.

5. Added a few more small (1 tile) islands to the Pacific and Goody Islands. Increased size of Japan and New Zealand (2 tiles each).

6. Changed the tree placements to match the terrain. So tundra/plains/grassland etc. have only has one type of tree etc.

7. Set number of game turns to zero. (Thanks Acularius).

8. Removed resources that can not be mined from mountains .

9. New SVN version that removes the Custom Civ. Apache from America. All my other custom civs are now included in the SVN.

NEW Sixth update.

6. Dated: 23 08 2015.

1. Made all mountains have Snow tiles. (change only applies if you use terrain damage)

2. Removed Rome, Mongolia, Vikings, India, Greece and Carthage. They never seemed to expand and slowed other civs. (Now 20 Civs)

3. Moved the start location of some civs (because of the above change.).

4. Numerous tile changes due to gameplay and feedback. Added more land, changed/removed bonus's etc.

5. Added Natron bonus, do not know how I missed this.

6. There is now a version with no preset Civs.Choose your own Civs and leaders.

To Do List: (not in order of working on.)

1. Look at the spawninfo's file to see if I need to alter anything. I will be making some changes here eventually.

2. Plus what ever else the C2C team adds to the mod. :D

FYI. :clap:

I am working on a sllghtly blgger SEM map.

I do not like how close South America is to Africa. The Greenland link between the old/new worlds also needs to be worked on. Finally the Pacific is to small.

So I am going to add 5 extra columns (x) to the Pacific and 3 to the Atlantic. Then adjust the landscape accordingly.

The standard map is 4368 plots, this will add an additional 416 plots. (less than 10% increase.) Total plots 4784. Most of these new plots will be sea tiles - so except for sea creature spawns should not add significantly to game turn times or memory usage. (Important if you have an old system like I do. :deadhorse:) The next default map setting up - Large is 6656 tiles. So still a big differance.

The 180 degrees will be in the Berring Straits, but because of the map size and land placements will be just 1 tile east of Japan and on the east coast of Australia. New Zealand will be in the west part of the hemisphere rather than the east. But it is almost on the edge anyway - so no problem there. This means default animal spawns should be mainly correct.

If anyone is playing my current version of the SEM map and has any comments/suggestions please post them here. So I can include those I think appropriate in the new version. Remember it is pre columbian.

The first post has been updated with a new version of SEM. This version is actually 10% bigger than the standard map size. So I have called it SEM_Plus.....

The first two posts explain all.

Enjoy. :)

I've actually played some of it, some brief thoughts. (Version before SEM_plus release)
For mountain based natural wonders you could probably remove the mountains underneath for things like Mount Everest and Fujiyama.

Another note for Fujiyama, the Natural Wonder already provides obsidian upon its creation and Japan is a very space limited place so I would recommend changing the Obsidian back to stone or something that will help the space limited Japan.
Extend the river to the pacific. to help represent the Tokyo bay area and so Japan can found a city on a river at start. I generally just move it to where the rice will spawn, which was good given how often the volcano erupted. XD
(I decided to give Japan a whirl as well as Russia.)
I don't know if you removed it, but in the version I saw Amber in the Baltic Sea and I'm pretty sure its a land base resource and not a sea based one like in Invictus (which would be awesome because it would be an excellent coastal resource)

I didn't get very far tech wise, nor have I just opened up world builder and looked at the map.

Looks great so far though, keep it up.

I've actually played some of it, some brief thoughts. (Version before SEM_plus release) I don't know if you removed it, but in the version I saw Amber in the Baltic Sea and I'm pretty sure its a land base resource and not a sea based one like in Invictus (which would be awesome because it would be an excellent coastal resource)

Looks great so far though, keep it up.

Thanks for your comments, because of all the work you have done on GEM, (which I can not play) I really appreciate them. :)

Late at night, where I am - so will look at them in more detail later.

But as for the Amber - I have now made that tile land. - (Yes - I spent many years playing and contributing to RI.) Which is why I placed it on a coast tile, until I realised C2C did not support the placement. (Wish they would - makes smaller maps easier to place resources.).

wow: :)

So many downloads, in only a few hours. Thanks. :blush:

Look at first post.

For players that do not want to overwrite C2C files. I have added a version that does not include Custom Civs, but still includes S. American and Pacific Civs. Thanks to Strategyonly. Existing civs have been used and the names changed. So you will not get the correct culture or city names etc.

See the first post.

For those playing the SVN and wanting to try the 35 civs version.- both files will work if you start a new scenario, with either dll. The game adjusts the number of civs according to the.dll maximum.

Downloaded and going to give it a try thanks for the map!

I hope you like it. :)

What did you think of R.I. - I contributed to that mod also. Just curious. ;)

The 180 degrees will be in the Berring Straits, but because of the map size and land placements will be just 1 tile east of Japan and on the east coast of Australia. New Zealand will be in the west part of the hemisphere rather than the east. But it is almost on the edge anyway - so no problem there. This means default animal spawns should be mainly correct.

Only the Moa would need to change as it is from New Zealand.

Only the Moa would need to change as it is from New Zealand.

I have a question for you. Instead of replacing the whole Spawninfos file with a different one, is it possible to have a smaller file which just includes the changes?

This file overwriting the relevent contents of the original Spawninfo.

If so I guess it would have the same name but were would I put it in the folder structure?

I have a question for you. Instead of replacing the whole Spawninfos file with a different one, is it possible to have a smaller file which just includes the changes?

This file overwriting the relevent contents of the original Spawninfo.

If so I guess it would have the same name but were would I put it in the folder structure?

That was not what I was aiming for as we have also been asked for a reduction in the number of different animals. It may be possible, I will just need to think on it a bit more. The problem is for scenarios and other maps where they have to move all the units. Just thought of a possible simple way using MLF groups, I'll need to test it out :D

Here is my 4th update to the SEM map.

Two maps are now available. One works with standard C2C and is in the SVN and therefore will be in the next version 35 release. The other uses custom civs, you will have to overwrite a C2C folder - for it to work.

Look at post one for a download and post two for details of the changes.

The actual maps are the same. Only the civs used are slightly differant.

Enjoy. :)

Harrier

Nothing bad.

Did some quick tweaks in the file so that you aren't always restricted to 5000 max turns regardless of which game speed you choose.
If I caused terrible things to happen, then I apologize in advance, but it should end by the determination of the respective player's chosen turn speed.

Cheers,
Acularius

Attachments

• SEM_Plus_No_Custom_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    488.6 KB · Views: 130
Did some quick tweaks in the file so that you aren't always restricted to 5000 max turns regardless of which game speed you choose.

Cheers,
Acularius

That's fine. I will include your change to the maps in first post when I next update. I have already made a number of changes due to gameplay and still have a few more to make. :)

e.g. I am going to remove some resources from the resource overcrowded parts of old/new worlds. So that the Great Farmer can plant new ones when contact and trade is established. At the moment the British/Irish have no room for potato's etc.

On my current system I can only play to the early Industrial era (Marathon or Normal speeds) - so have never reached 5000 turns. :(

What should my turn times be at the beginning of the game? I have tried to play a few times and it seams to run really slow for me with 60 second turn times from the start and I am afraid that it will be unplayable within a couple hundred turns. I have a 64-bit system with 8 gigs of ram and an ok processor and video card. Can a change some settings to improve performance? I like the map though it is really good work.

Top Bottom