Start Here for Tech Support

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
Hello,

Below you will find some links to threads that deal with some of the more common issues that you may encouter with Civ 2. If you do not find the topic you want, running a search for key terms of your problem may help you find previous threads.

How to fix your WinG problems
Addresses some of the issues when the game will not load properly (usually in regards to .dll files)

Problems with Civ II with Windows (2000 and XP)

Win XP 64 civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Easy fix for faulty cheat mode toggle
Fix for when cheat mode is 'stuck' on.

I know this is a really simplistic question, but I've just discovered the existance of a Civ 2 community with scenarios and everything. I downloaded some scenarios from off this site. The readme for Romance of the Three Kingdoms said to install the files in the same folder as the civ.exe file. I tried to do this and found that some of the files had the same names as files I was using for the standard Civ 2. What is the standard way of playing these downloaded scenarios without losing any regular Civ 2 files?

For really old scenarios you used to have to do that (installing in the Civ2 folder), but that's not necessary anymore for most scenarios and most versions of Civ2.

What version of Civ2 do you have? (Go to Game > Game Options in the Civ2 menu and look at the title of the window you get)

You probably have a "Scenario" folder inside your Civ2 folder. The standard way to "install" downloaded scenarios is to create a new folder inside that (e.g. called "Romance" in this case) and extract all the scenario's files in there. That will usually work and won't overwrite any existing files.

Thanks for replying. I don't have Game>Game Options in the Civ2 menu. I also don't have a Scenario folder (the only folders inside the Civ2 folder are "pedia" and "sound". I looked at the CD, and it just says Civilization II copyright 1996. I guess that this is the original version of Civ2. I've ordered the MGE from amazon.com because it says that you need this to play some of the downloads (I started with Romance of the 3 Kingdoms because it didn't refer to MGE, so I thought maybe I could play that scenario the way things stand). I haven't received MGE in the mail yet. Maybe when I try it, it'll correspond with what you describe.

Indeed. The original doesn't really have any "real" scenario support.

But you do have "Game > Game Options." I just wasn't clear enough about what/where it was. Start/load a game and you'll see the Game, Kingdom, View, Orders etc. menus at the top. "Game Options" is in the Game menu there.

OK. Under Game Options it says "Civilization II 1.00 16-Feb-96". That sure sounds like the original version of Civ2.

I want to install an old, store-bought Civ II copy on my XP machine, but keeping getting boxes saying I'm missing COMMCTRL.dll and DCIMAN.dll. Where can I get these, and are there special instructions for adding them?
thanks,
J

There are several sites where you can download missing DLL (did you try "download COMMCTRL.dll" in the search bar of your favorite search engine?)
When you get the dll, just save it in C:\Windows\System32, and type regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\COMMCTRL.dll in the command line ("start", "run...")
Never tried that for Civ, but had to for several other soft, so that should do the trick.

I got a problem I need a direct answer for.
I downloaded my CIV II Multiplayer Gold Version 5.2.5f dated 11/16/98.
The game loaded fine and I can play it. I cannot change the size of the game,
I cannot re-name my Leader, I cannot re-name any town I build.
If I try any of the above I get the message( CIV2.exe has stopped working) and the game will close.
Please reply direct to opfor@frognet.net

Thanks

And here I thought I was the last person playing Civ II MGE.

I've downloaded lots of cool modifications and I'm grateful to those who posted them. But I'm having a weird problem that may never have come up before.

I just installed CivII MGE on a new Asus EEE running XP. It has a 1024 x 640 screen size, which is definitely nonstandard. I have no trouble playing the main map, but the trouble is that the city window pops up in a size so large that I can't reach the resize buttons in the upper left corner. I can't even get a grip on the top bar so that I can move it within range.

So ... is there any tweak that can make the city window come up in a smaller size the first time it appears? (I've always resized it manually and then saved; the game remembers the new size until the next time I start the program.) Or is there some way to get the city window to move without using the mouse? There may be some idiotically obvious technique that everybody but me knows - but I'm not ashamed. I'm willing to be taught!

Thanks for helping out a new member (but an old, old player).

ps: I posted the identical question in the welcome new members section, because I only saw afterward that it seems to be in the Civ IV area.

Obviously I found the solution to my problem elsewhere on the forum, just took a lot of reading..... there are a lot of posts!!!

Hello, I don't want to sound like a spolied brat,
but I just "upgraded" (hmmm...) from Win7 32bit (which ran CIV2 just fine) to Win8.1 64bit... :rolleyes:

I won't even consider reinstalling CIV2 on it because I know it won't run.

Question: is the VISTA64 patch compatible to WIN8.1, or do I have to partition my hard drive and reinstall WIN7 32bit ? :mischief::rolleyes::mischief:

Thank you :)

Top Bottom