Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

I got another dud. I tried to do a sea turtle but the texture is not showing up and thus I have a pink sea turtle. :( I am posting it anways just in case someone solves this problem.

Do the "Northern Cassowary (Casuarius unnapendaculatus)":please::please::please:

I can try if you can do the rest of the work, such as writing up all the code and stuff. Basically everything except for the button/icon, texture DDS and the mesh NIF. Just post it in this thread and then I can plug in the graphics to see if it worked.

I got another dud. I tried to do a sea turtle but the texture is not showing up and thus I have a pink sea turtle. :( I am posting it anways just in case someone solves this problem.

I can try if you can do the rest of the work, such as writing up all the code and stuff. Basically everything except for the button/icon, texture DDS and the mesh NIF. Just post it in this thread and then I can plug in the graphics to see if it worked.

It is already in my extras. It is also past my bed time - we just went onto daylight savings time.

@Dancing Hoskuld

Here are some new Myth building icon/buttons for you. Included are ...

- Bighorn Sheep
- Cassowary
- Dugong
- Emu
- Giant Squid
- Komodo Dragon
- Penguin
- Rabbit
- Seal
- Sea Turtle
- Shark
- Walrus
- Whale

Hopefully this can either fill in existing ones or help make some new Myth buildings. :D

I tried a gazelle now and the same oink texture. :( Why do some work like the shark but the others don't? :mad: And in the NIF viewer I can see them with the texture on. Gah! I makes no sense!

You should pose this question in the General Thread area, there are lots of NIF people there that will be able to help you out on this.

maybe missing the cassowary_blink.dds?

dono, but could be.

edit. nah, its just the eyelids

have you tried saving the dds in dds1 without mipmaps?

No, but its worth a shot. *goes to try it*

EDIT: Its is still pink as dd1. Do I have to do do anything special to get no "mipmaps"? Or will not make them?

EDIT2: Nevermind I have to check the button off to disable that. *goes back to test*

EDIT3: Nope still pink. :(

At least with the Cassowary the problem is that you are missing a texture file called "cassowary_blink.dds". This file is referred to as "Decal 0 Texture" in the NiTexturingProperty from the main body. As far as I understand it this texture is layed above the "Base Texture", whereat the alpha channel of the decal texture defines transparent parts. At least this is the case for nonshadered units. If you look at the standard Civ4 units you'll see that the base texture is normally called "teamcolor.bmp" and the decal texture is the respective skin art file. If you remove the decal texture from the nif file, the unit will be completely colored in teamcolor.
Spoiler :

If adding the "cassowary_blink.dds" file to the folder does not solve the problem I would suggest to remove its reference from the main body's NiTexturingProperty. Further I would suggest to remove all other NiTriShapes beside the main body's because they seem to have no real purpose and only add polycount to the unit. Also everything that is not a child of the Scene Root NiNode can go, too. Finally, you should think about resizing the dds file. 512*512 is far too large for a unit, 128*128 is sufficient most of the time.

Attachments

• BirdProblem.jpg
    BirdProblem.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 467
@SaibotLieh

Thank you for explaining this. These are my first units, so I had really no idea how all this stuff worked. As obviously by using per-made animals. Believe it or not this is what the blink looks like (see attachment). Its seems useless to me.

How do you remove that kind of extra stuff? I am a total n00b to this kind of stuff for civ 4.

EDIT: Now it made it ... brown? I am going to try to just rename the existing texture "cassowary_blink.dds" and see what happens.

EDIT2: Success!! I noticed the others had blink.dds too so now I know how to fix them! But its way past my bedtime so I will have to fix them tomorrow (or I should say later today). :sleep:

I suspect DH will be happy to finally have a Cassowary that doesn't look like a penguin now. ;)

@SaibotLieh

Thank you for explaining this. These are my first units, so I had really no idea how all this stuff worked. As obviously by using per-made animals. Believe it or not this is what the blink looks like (see attachment). Its seems useless to me.

How do you remove that kind of extra stuff? I am a total n00b to this kind of stuff for civ 4.

EDIT: Now it made it ... brown? I am going to try to just rename the existing texture "cassowary_blink.dds" and see what happens.

EDIT2: Success!! I noticed the others had blink.dds too so now I know how to fix them! But its way past my bedtime so I will have to fix them tomorrow (or I should say later today). :sleep:

I suspect DH will be happy to finally have a Cassowary that doesn't look like a penguin now. ;)
Good to see that it works now. :goodjob: The blink.dds file looks useless to me as well, I wonder why it is referred to in the nif. :confused:

I would still suggest to remove the decal texture thou because it will take up memory with no further benefit. To remove this reference, just double-click on source entry in the Block Details (the 10 in this example) and delete the number. After pressing enter, there should be a "None" now. Next doubleclick on the "yes" in the "Has Decal 0 Texture" entry. The yes should turn into a no by this, and you are done.

Removing NiTriShapes (and other nodes as well) is even simpler, just highlight it by clicking on it and then press Ctrl+Del. There seem to be a lot of nodes that you won't need, but since the nif has a different structure than the standard Civ4 units I can't safely say which can be removed. Just try a bit, as long as the unit looks alright in the game it should be alright. At least I'm sure that the three NiSkinInstances at the bottom of the file structure (121,124 and 127) can be remove, since they are not children of the Scene Root node.

@SaibotLieh

Wow! That (now camoflaged) flamingo sure knows a lot of promotions. Wouldnt want to go 1 on 1 with that bird :lol:

Penguins may not be happy because people always kill them, instead of subduing. :p

Top Bottom