New Buildings Discussion

@Hydro:

Please don't forget about all of the new buildings discussed in the Orbital buildings thread. I'd like to see those ingame soon, we really need more TH era stuff.

The "Apprentice Workshop" was added as a building unique to Apprenticeship, FYI. It costs 500 :hammers: available with Guilds, and gives 1 free Priest, Engineer, Artist, Merchant, and Scientist.

@Hydro:

Please don't forget about all of the new buildings discussed in the Orbital buildings thread. I'd like to see those ingame soon, we really need more TH era stuff.

I will. I was trying to get some other stuff off my todo list first. The big freeze and the whole redo of the building costs kept me so busy I could not do them last cycle.

Vigiles upgrades to Fire Brigade
Requires City Planning, Town Hall
+1:); +1:health: with Public Works; -10 Flamibility; same cost as brigade

That's sort of what the Fire Brigade were based on. In fact if you look up the old topic with Afforess he thought that Fire Fighters were invented by Ben Franklin but I corrected him with the Roman example. Eventually it was put at that tech.

That's sort of what the Fire Brigade were based on. In fact if you look up the old topic with Afforess he thought that Fire Fighters were invented by Ben Franklin but I corrected him with the Roman example. Eventually it was put at that tech.

Well then they are an era too late. Currently Fire Brigades are in the fourth era (medieval) rather than the third (classical). I was just suggesting a classic version of the medieval building to put them in the correct era.

Well, here it is: the Military Base and its associated buildings. (must not make obvious joke... must not make obvious joke...)

View attachment 336154

Military Base is a replacement for Garrison. Compared to the Garrison it gets:
  • +10% unit healing rate
  • +1 XP for Gunpowder, Siege, Tracked and Wheeled units (over the Garrison)
  • +2 XP for Dreadnought, Health Care, Helicopter, and Hi-Tech units (which Garrison does not benefit)

The current Garrison code is in Hydro's Military module (those ForceOverwrites are confusing sometimes) and that should be tweaked in order that Garrison properly upgrades to Military Base.

There are currently 5 buildings and 2 Wonders that have Garrison as a prerequisite. I propose the following changes to buildings that are not in the core:
  • Guard Dog Trainer: This can stay as it is. By the time you are able to build the Military Base, Guard Dog Trainer has been replaced by Police Dog Trainer, so you shouldn't miss the Guard Dog Trainer.
  • Barbwire Fence (in Hydro's Tower Module): Change prerequisite to Garrison OR Military Base. Barbwire Fence doesn't go obsolete until Globalization.
  • Checkpoint (in Hydro's Law module): Change prerequisite to Garrison OR Military Base.
  • Control Center (in Praetyre's Project Hades module): Change prerequisite to Military Base. I think the more modern Base fits better as a prerequisite than the Renaissance-era Garrison.
  • Ultimate Soldiers Trainer (in Praetyre's Project Hades module): Change prerequisite to Military Base. Same recommendation as Control Center.

The two Wonders that require Garrison are:
  • Brandenburg Gate: This is in the core, so I will change it to Garrison or Military Base. While I think it is unlikely that the Gate will survive the entire Industrial Era without being built, so as to avoid the possibility of getting locked out, I will make this change.
  • Pentagon (in Praetyre's Project Hades module): I think this should be changed, not only to Military Base, but also to require 4 total Military Bases (this is for a Standard-size map, so it will scale up with world size). The Requires X total buildings code also requires that one of the required building be in the building city, so we don't have to specify that separately. To avoid hidden tech prerequisites, I would also add Logistics to the Pentagon tech requirements. Logistics is already very close to Mechanized Warfare on the tech tree, so it shouldn't be that onerous of an additional requirement.

The Military Base then leads to four new buildings: Combat Simulator, Flight Simulator, Holographic Combat Simulator, and Holographic Flight Simulator. The Flight Simulators are also available to a city with a Military Airbase. Since the simulators can help both Air and Helicopter units, I made it available to both.

View attachment 336155View attachment 336157

The first two are available at War Simulations. They provide +2 XP to ground or air units, beyond what the Military Base provides.

View attachment 336156View attachment 336158

The second pair is available at Holographics. They replace the previous versions and increase the bonus to +4 XP.

Let me know what you think. I will putting this on the SVN once I do some fixing of Congress of Vienna's resolution text.

Cool! I will fix the Barbwire Fence and Checkpoint as well as the Barracks and Garrison to upgrade into the Military Base.

Please change the stuff you need to change in Projects Hades.

OK. I'll add the new stuff right now and then do the adjusting of the code later tonight.

The "Apprentice Workshop" was added as a building unique to Apprenticeship, FYI. It costs 500 :hammers: available with Guilds, and gives 1 free Priest, Engineer, Artist, Merchant, and Scientist.

Just a note... the "W" in Apprentice Workshop needs to be capitalized. Also, the building itself looks to be really strong. This is probably an extreme example, but look what I can get out of one:

View attachment 336164

But is that inconsistent for the levels you get in the Industrial Era?

JosEPh

That's kind of what I thought too. But it's been awhile since I've had a game make it to the Ind Era.

JosEPh

i was thinking of a few new ordonances

bafög german short name for Federal Education and Trainings Assistance Act.
requires university or public shool and subsidized or socialized
+10 % :science: +:) +1:health: -10% :gold: in all citys

the goverment gives no interest credits to students that they are able to substain themselves. students just have to pay the half of the money back but in no case more than 10000 euro and if they are the bests of there course its just a third.

Some building brainstorming I had ...

- Spelunking Cave (Req Cave in city vicinity)
- Mountain Climbing Site (req Mountaineering and Peak in city vicinity)
- Hiking Trail (Req Wilderness Conservation)
- Scuba Diving Site (Req Coral OR Sea Grass OR Kelp)

They may need better names.

Also some other stuff I want to do soon ...

- Bailwick
- Great Firewall [WW] (Req Cyber Warfare)
- Gift Shop
- Driving School

@Hydro:

Here are some ideas that I came up with recently for new Buildings in the later games.

Helicopter Training Center:
Cost: 1100
Required Techs: Vertical Flight
Required Buildings: Military Base
Required Bonuses: Oil Products OR Biofuel
Requires City Size 25

- +5 XP for Helicopter Units
- -3 Gold

TV Studio:

Cost: 1000
Required Techs: Television
Required Buildings: Modern Office
Requires City Size 13

- Requires Power
- +10% Culture
- +2 Happiness
- +4 Espionage with Totalitarian OR People’s Republic OR Marxist OR Intolerant

Jet Propulsion Laboratory:

Cost: 1500
Required Techs: Advanced Rocketry AND Jet Propulsion
Required Buildings: Rocket Fuel Refinery
Required Bonuses: Hydrogen OR Chemicals
Requires City Size 25

- +3 Free Scientists
- +1 Happiness
- Scientists give +1 production
- -10 Gold

Test Pilot Institute: (National Wonder)

Cost: 4650
Required Techs: Composites AND Supersonic Flight
Required Buildings: Military Airbase
Required Bonuses: (Oil OR Biofuels) AND Composites AND Steel
Requires City Size 25

- +5 Free XP for Supersonic Planes
- +50% Production for Supersonic and Orbital Planes
- -2 Health

What do you think of these?

I'm not sure if you want to hear me say this but I'm firmly in support of those building ideas and in large part its because they're the kind of building sets I was going to probably want to flesh out more for application in the Combat Mod Ongoing Training system. Under the Ongoing Training option, they'd take on added meaning and would be extremely useful as such.

@ls612

1. I had Flight School on my todo list. Should this be different from a Helicopter Training Center?

2. I thought we already had a TV Studio.

3. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory was on my todo list but as a National Wonder.

4. Test Pilot Institute what exactly do you mean by this building?

1. It would be for Helis specifically, as they have a different role than traditional combat aircraft.

2. As far as I can remember the only one we have is a NW. I could have missed it though.

3. Well in the US at least Jet propulsion labs are in multiple places. There's one in California, one in Texas, one in Alabama, and others as well. So IMO it fits as a normal building. Also, we do have a space program wonder already (NASA).

4. It would be something like the US has in New Mexico, where people like Chuck Yaeger test the limits of existing flight technology and new airplanes.

Top Bottom