Civ 2 ToT / Win 7 64 - video issues

DeadMeat12345

Chieftain
Ok I hope you guys can help here. I have read through the various threads regarding ToT and haven't found my specific problem mentioned.

I've patched Civ 2 ToT up to 1.1 successfully and have also used MasterMindx's 64 bit patch successfully.

The game installs and plays perfectly well (well, okay, the opening credits don't display, but that's no big deal)...

...until the end, when the video showing the landing on the new planet is called. This doesn't display - just the text does - and then the game hangs. So I'm stuck at that point and my only recourse is to use Task Manager to close the game down.

Is there anything else I should be doing? It's driving me nuts. Oh I didn't choose to install DirectX off the CD (yes I have an original ToT CD) at the beginning, because I thought it would overwrite a far FAR later version of DirectX that was native to Win 7. Was I right to avoid installing DirectX 5 or whatever it is on the ToT CD?

Please help if you can. Thanks in advance!

CatFish, thank you so much. Sheer genius.

If it should help any others reading this, CatFish's link goes to his Test of Time dedicated site. I found the problem that I had beautifully described under the FAQ section of his site and a couple of simple steps to getting an answer.

I actually did have the codec mentioned and in the right place, but it wouldn't register, coming up with an error instead. So all I did was follow step 2 of CatFish's answer, downloading and then installing the Indeo video codec pack.

Very simple and the problem is now entirely fixed. Again, you guys are unsung heroes - many many thanks.

Top Bottom