[Idea] Realistic City Siege

Pushed to the SVN. :goodjob:

Awesome! I suppose I should work on some promos to help units get around repel now too. ;) Nice idea on the bee bomb as well. Would also make a good siege promotion set that gives repel to the siege weapon... Could be an equipment handed out by the building you're also suggesting.

You could also add +1% defense to bee bombs. Thanks to that it will be visible under defensive buildings city screen filter.

So while looking up fortifications I found some cool ones ...

- Abatis - Used like Ancient Barbed Wire, brambles and sharpened branches were used as fortification. It could also be set on fire to burn the in coming enemy.

- Castra - A Roman fort or pre-castle. Might be nice to have a Classical Era castle that upgrades into a medieval castle.

- Sudis - Mobile Wall-Spears used by the Romans to make temporary walls. Maybe this could be a promotion or something.

- Wagon Fort - As the name suggests a mobile fort. I think this is covered well with the War Wagon, however I think possibly a one-shot unit that could instantly build a Fort on a tile would be awesome. They would have to be limited and cost a bunch to make but it sure would be cool.

Here is my idea ...

Abatis
Cost: 5
Req Tech: Simple Wood Working
Req Resource: Wood
Upgrades To: Fire Abatis

• -1 :gold:
  • 10% Defense
  • Enemy Units Receive 5% Damage Per Turn

Fire Abatis
Cost: 10
Req Tech: Fire Making
Req Resource: Wood
Upgrades To: ?

• -1 :gold:
  • 20% Defense
  • Enemy Units Receive 10% Damage Per Turn

I also think I might want to have the Fence line be its own separate line.

Abatis -> Fire Abatis -> ? -> Barbed Wire Fence -> Electric Fence -> Wireless Electric Fence -> Arcology Shielding -> Advanced Shielding

I also think Barbed Wire Fence, Electric Fence and Wireless Electric Fence should give damage per turn. Since they are either poking the invading units or shocking them.

Maybe explosive abiatis. Like wiki said abiatis with explosives hidden among trees.

I don't think that fence line should add demage like traps do. I think it should slow down enemy during attack so in game terms add local repel.

Traps line - provides damage to enemy
Fence line - provides local repel

Maybe abiatis should require chopping (now empty) because in its simplest form it is chopped laying trees.

Added Nanobot Walls, Smart Dust Walls, Bee Bombs, Abatis and Fire Abatis to the SVN.

Maybe abiatis should require chopping (now empty) because in its simplest form it is chopped laying trees.

Sorry but it requires Wood OR Prime Timber OR Bamboo. And the earliest of those is Wood at Simple Wood Working (Given by the Driftwood Gatherer).

Ok, so from this I gather I'll need to develop out the 'damage attacker when attacked' set of tags for buildings and units. I'll discuss more on this later (working 12 hr days at the moment so I don't have much time to go into detail atm ;) )

I donk like how rams works now.

They have bombard option to reduce defenses what is not accurate to that type of weapon because it is not ranged weapon. In reality rams was used to attack gates directly in mele combat.
When defenders looks that rams are going to gates they put all effort to destroy them.

SO in game terms

Rams line
1 should have mele subcombat class
2 bombard defenses option should be disabled for them
3 It should reduce defense only in direct attack (so in most cases they will die after defense reduction)
4 shoud ignore noentrylevel to be always able preform attack to reduce defenses.

For that we need two new tags:
ignorenoenrylevel - boolean
defenseReductionOnAttack - integer (percentage).

Thanks to that rams wil loften die during city siege like in reality it was so it will force player
to build new siege units to conquere another city.

For AI we must teach it to calculate how many rams it need to reduce defenses of city that it plan to attack.

Just a point I'd like to make, many if not most pre-gunpowder seige equipment was built on site at the siege itself (and typically abandonded after the fighting). Something that we apparently can't emulate in this game.

Just a point I'd like to make, many if not most pre-gunpowder seige equipment was built on site at the siege itself (and typically abandonded after the fighting). Something that we apparently can't emulate in this game.

That would be best emulated by having some 'property' (in a generic sense) on a unit (tag on the unit type defines the property or properties it can have) which is zeroed by movement, and 'charges up' each turn when the unit stays still. Actions could then be enabled when such properties exceed a certain threshold.

In the case in point the property would be 'siege readiness' and units like rams would have it. Once a threshold is exceeded a 'batter walls' action becomes available on the unit. The charge rate of a property and the available actions would be unit tags. The threshold would be a tag on the action.

Such a system would probably have countless other uses (it's a generalization of the improved espionage effect spies get in cities as they stay put really)

They have bombard option to reduce defenses what is not accurate to that type of weapon because it is not ranged weapon. In reality rams was used to attack gates directly in mele combat.
When defenders looks that rams are going to gates they put all effort to destroy them.

But they don't. They have City Bombard NOT Ranged Bombard. If you look at a Catapult vs a Ram the Catapult can bombard units anywhere, however a Ram can only bombard next to a city. Note that Rams are defend only while Catapult are, but that is actually separate from the City Bombard vs Ranged Bombard. Also Catapults get City Bombard too. Basiclly its like ...

Rams
City Bombard: Yes
Ranged Bombard: No
Attack: No

Catapults
Ranged Bombard: Yes
Attack: Yes

This is why I like rams the way they are because they are non-ranged siege units.

And I do not think they should get a melee subcombat class at all. If anything they should provide defense for those units, not be one themselves.

I'd say that Rams that bombard should be first on the defense if attacked by unit(s) in the city. They should not get the benefit of other units in the same tile (i.e. normally the unit chosen for defense in a tile is the best one vs. the attacker).

On a side note maybe we could have a new 'building': Hidden Sally Port. Not sure what a reasonable benefit would be or that you could realistically only use it once.

SO in game terms

Rams line
1 should have mele subcombat class
2 bombard defenses option should be disabled for them
3 It should reduce defense only in direct attack (so in most cases they will die after defense reduction)
4 shoud ignore noentrylevel to be always able preform attack to reduce defenses.

For that we need two new tags:
ignorenoenrylevel - boolean
defenseReductionOnAttack - integer (percentage).

Thanks to that rams wil loften die during city siege like in reality it was so it will force player
to build new siege units to conquere another city.

For AI we must teach it to calculate how many rams it need to reduce defenses of city that it plan to attack.
Actually... this would proxy out my idea about attackable gates fairly nicely. I love it. Everything about it. Except giving them melee? Not sure it'd be necessary to change them from a siege. Particularly when we have siege subcategories planned that would take them into account. And they should upgrade along siege lines as well. But otherwise, I think this would be a lot more spot on. Let the unit be threatened by an actual battle as they come in but when they do come in they do damage to the defenses akin to as if it were a city bombard.

It would also prompt me to get the tag done that Hydro and I talked about for units such as, say, elephants, that can bust through defenses as they attack.

But they don't. They have City Bombard NOT Ranged Bombard. If you look at a Catapult vs a Ram the Catapult can bombard units anywhere, however a Ram can only bombard next to a city. Note that Rams are defend only while Catapult are, but that is actually separate from the City Bombard vs Ranged Bombard. Also Catapults get City Bombard too. Basiclly its like ...

Rams
Ranged Bombard: No
Attack: No

Catapults
Ranged Bombard: Yes
Attack: Yes

This is why I like rams the way they are because they are non-ranged siege units.

And I do not think they should get a melee subcombat class at all. If anything they should provide defense for those units, not be one themselves.
He makes a good point though that since they aren't ranged they wouldn't be immune to counterattack... just sitting back and popping off at the walls without risk as they currently do. So as we are trying to model them as non-ranged siege units, the model doesn't seem quite appropriate that they don't have to enter an actual battle to reduce the defenses. These tags would be useful in other applications, as mentioned above relating to your previous elephant suggestion, so with your consent I'd like to add that to my list.

@Taxman and Koshling: I always figured we'd eventually have a siege engineer unit that may construct siege weapon units onsite where there are the right features (forest, jungle, etc) on the plot.

Would take some time for him to build them but we'd make siege units such as Cats extraordinarily slow - slow enough to counteract any kind of move speed bonuses (by a % modifier) so that they can really never move more than one space.

Therefore a faster army, traveling on roads etc... would prefer to get there and build the siege on site. We could even make a siege weapon's move take rounds to recover from so that it may move again as suggested, making them quite simply far too painfully slow to bring along.

But then the Siege Engineer would need to impart his own experience onto the created unit perhaps... If not, the frustration involved in generating horribly untrained siege units would be pretty severe.

Opportunity fire really only amounts to a free ranged bombard attack so if a unit doesn't have ranged bombard it wouldn't have opportunity fire.

Hmm... cover. Are we talking about an added amount of strength, dodge or armor when receiving distance attacks or are we talking about a simple Anti-Archery effect such as provided by the Promotion 'Cover'? I do still have a bit of work to do to setup 'support promotions' being offered by other units on the tile but maybe that'd be the way to address this request?

@TB

Yes support promotions will be awesome.

Think about big wooden wheeled shields units to protect against archery

Hmm... cover. Are we talking about an added amount of strength, dodge or armor when receiving distance attacks or are we talking about a simple Anti-Archery effect such as provided by the Promotion 'Cover'? I do still have a bit of work to do to setup 'support promotions' being offered by other units on the tile but maybe that'd be the way to address this request?

Yes archer and throwing and possibly early siege. For instance Javelins and arrows would do the best in protecting units, while say a boulder (catapult) or fire bomb (arsonist) would not do as well but might be better than without it. So like somewhere in the realm of canceling to reducing damage.

Also the Log Ram has no protection so it would not benefit. The Battering Ram would have protect from arrows and javelins. And the Siege Ram could defend against catapults and arsonist.

To throw a few suggestions your guys' way:
- If you want to implement rams as attacking units, maybe use the same logic as throwing units? I'm thinking of early withdraw, very low strength and automatic damage to city defense after combat is resolved either way

- Battlefield siege engines could potentially be built from surrounding forests. This would be double-whammy siege damage, as the forest could be destroyed (or go into "depleted" to recover after X rounds, use again to cut down completely) to create "siege crews" that can be converted into siege weapons

Also, Siege Camp idea:
- Move appropriate unit (melee/hero/worker/special engineer) to a valid tile (could be forest to include the above)
- Build "Siege Camp", similar to fortress. Siege Camp becomes your territory.
- Siege Camp ticks down turns like a fortress (but faster), but instead of upgrading it produces a Siege Crew. This Siege Crew can be updated, at a small cost, to field versions of siege weapons (ram/onager/trebuchet/artillery emplacement etc)
- Like the Fortress, the Siege Camp will have very limited upgrade stages and will become depleted after some time

For balance purposes, make the unit that produces those a very limited national unit and either:
- have it be consumed on use
- have it be immobilized, similar to the immobilized ship event, for a length similar to how long it takes for the camp to reach maximum level

In addition, the siege units could be made immobile to really stress their transient nature. Once the city is taken... disband them.

I personally would still like to see certain units be available as city-built siege engines that have to be hauled in. They could be stronger, but siginificantly more expensive to build.

- If you want to implement rams as attacking units, maybe use the same logic as throwing units? I'm thinking of early withdraw, very low strength and automatic damage to city defense after combat is resolved either way
Early withdrawal they wouldn't have I think because their goal wouldn't be to 'potshot' and run. Quite the opposite. They'd be very self sacrificing. What I'm thinking is that they implement a tag for DefenseDamageperRound and have a sort of 'sub-combat routine' during each round where they get an attack on the city's defenses. How to handle that attack is something I'm still pondering. At first we could just establish a % dmg to city defense (then modified by the bombard defense value perhaps). That would be simple enough for a start but sets me up for more dynamics in the future.

And best of all, it represents the fact that the ram would do more damage the longer it survives the battle.

Top Bottom