Why the operation Barbarossa?

If Hitler was the big fan of Napoleon people told he was, he would have known that conqueering Moscow isn't the end of all, but only the beginning. Napoleon did take Moscow, but the city was burnt to the ground by the Russians themselves and Russia was still existing all around the destroyed tiny dot of Moscow on the map.
I've never read anywhere else that Hitler was a fan of Napoleon. I'm not doubting it, I've just never come across the information before. Source?

Moscow burnt after it was occupied by the French, during the grande armee's looting of the city. It was likely started by the French, whether by accident or design, though no one knows for sure. It was not an attempt to deprive Napoleon of the city. Had Moscow not been accidentally burnt, Napoleon would have wintered there, and Alexander I would have made a humiliating peace after the winter. The scorched earth policy was designed to keep Napoleon from Moscow, not, as is often thought, to starve his army. That policy failed at Borodino.

Barbarossa had 3 military objectives: Kronstadt port near Leningrad, Moscow and oil of the Caspian Sea.
No it didn't. The three objectives were Leningrad, with Kronstadt a necessary adjunct to that objective, Moscow, and Sevastopol. The Caucasian oilfields had nothing to do with Barbarossa. That came in 1942, after Barbarossa failed, and the Wehrmacht was running out of oil.

As the major threat from the Soviets over the Germans has always come from the land and that the country couldn't be neither invaded nor occupied, only the third objective, the Caspian Sea, was really strategic. The two first ones were just a waste of energy as even if Leningrad and Moscow fell,
there were still vast taigas with millions of Russian peasants ready to fight all around.
You are on a forum dedicated to the Civilization series of video games. How much use was taiga in any of those games? Siberia was sparsely populated an lacking in resources, including food. Most Russian grain came from the Ukraine, and its industrial base was in the European USSR. Eveything east of the Volga was essentially useless in a war.

That may be right... but I hardly see how Barbarossa could avoid that anyway considering that a rough estimate of... let's say 75% of the USSR war machine would have still been left intact even in case of Barbarossa's success.
I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. This is why you don't make claims about things you don't know, and you certainly don't pull statistics out of your arse. Approximately 90% of Soviet military assets were in the European USSR, not 25%.

And regarding Germany's oil dependency, taking control of the Suez canal, and then of Saudi Arabia, would have been much more efficient as a strategy than getting wild over the lands to reach Kazakhstan.
Saudi Arabia only struck oil in 1938, and didn't begin to exploit that find in earnest until after WWII, for somewhat obvious reasons. One might as well argue that Germany shouldn't have needed Soviet oil because their ally, Italy, controlled Libya, which had huge oil reserves; which no one found until the 1950s. What Germany needed was not untapped reserves, but operational refineries and platforms, which simply did not exist in Libya or Saudi Arabia in 1941. This is why Germany invested so much in Romanian and Hungarian oilfields, even though they produced a pitifully small amount; they were at least exploitable. The big danger was German intrigues in Iraq and Iran, not a military push into the neutral Saudi Arabia.

And Hitler never intended on entering Kazakhstan, except maybe its western-most areas. Where did you learn that?

So overall, we could only guess that if Hitler hasn't targetted Suez, then that means he was incapable of controlling the seas... which were still dominated by the Brits. So we go back to the initial point, as Hitler had at least 3 good years from June 1940 before the USSR get enough powerful to be able to kick his ass, then wouldn't it have been wiser for him to focus first on... England?

That may sound silly, but it still makes better sense to me than launching a flawed doomed-from-start operation such as Barbarossa.

Now I'm ready to here what the History buffs around have to say about it. ;)
Hitler couldn't invade the UK, for reasons I will elucidate later. If he could have invaded the UK, he gladly would have, because you are correct, it was a much more tempting target, had it been reachable.

Because Germany was effectively bankrupt by 1941.
Germany was effectively bankrupt as early as 1936. It took an ever-escalating series of military adventures to prop up the failing German economy. In 1936, the remilitarisation of the Rhineland opened up a previously untapped labour and capital pool for German industrialists to exploit, as well as enabling the military to ramp up conscription. By 1938, this well had dried up, but the anschluss provided Germany with both Austrian iron ore and, more importantly, the vast Viennese foreign exchange reservoir. Later that year, the Munich Pact provided Germany with the most economically successful part of Czechoslovakia. In March 1939, the annexation of rump Czechoslovakia gave Germany Prague's currency reserves, as well as the powerful Skoda munitions industry. In September, Germany seized Warsaw's reserves, looted Polish museums and art collections, appropriated the property of its Jews and gained control over the important ports of Danzig and Gdynia, in addition to obtaining a land-link with East Prussia.

This ignores the domestic appropriations which occurred in Germany from 1939 on. Germany had a process known as Aryanisation, in which Jewish businesses were appropriated from their owners, given to Party members, and systematically stripped of their assets. Just to squeeze out the last drops of revenue, the Jewish owners were also often forced to pay ownership transfer fees, fines for lost business in the transition period, and insurance for the business they no longer owned. In this way, the Reich followed the Henry VIII model; it robbed the wealthiest, most productive part of the community to strengthen the power base. It followed this model in every occupied territory during and before the war as well, refining it in the process.

Thanks, why not, but how sending 4 million armed dudes in a military expedition over thousands of kilometers of land would make Germany less bankrupt?
Because Germany owed the USSR over 1 billion Reichsmarks in both cash and goods. Going to war with your creditor is a good way to avoid paying him. germany also stood to gain much from plundering the Soviets; the Amber Room was never found, for example.

Wealth is in the Seas. That's where international trade is going on. Thus triggering Suez would have been more strategic if the whole idea was to get revenues. I won't write back what I have already told, your remark doesn't address what's told in my opening post.
This assumes that Germany possessed the capacity to seize Suez. They didn't.

And what disturbs me here is that by June 1940, Nazi Germany is largely considered as having won it all. They are still allied with a USSR which is not yet ready to attack them. And besides plunder, which is a valid argument, the risk/benefits ratio of Barbarossa seems very bad overall. Worse at least than other alternatives such as sending those 4 million dudes to England.
Short of either swimming across or taking lessons from Jesus in walking on water, the Germans couldn't get "those 4 million dudes to England." And the Nazis would likely have thrown Jesus in a camp anyway, given his ancestry.

But then why stopping the front westward and why opening a new one eastward? That's just... weird. He didn't even seemed interested to take full control of the French colonial empire.
It's hard to push west when you're up against an ocean and you have no blue-water navy.

The French couldn't control the French colonial empire. What chance did Hitler have? Chad immediately declared itself for De Gaulle, less than a week after L'Appel. Indochina fell to the Japanese, while Vichy looked on impotently. The French North American and South American territories, as well as French Polynesia, reached unofficial neutrality deals with the US and Australia, and most eventually fell to, or declared for, the Free French anyway. De Gaulle used Chad as a base of operations to conquer the entirety of French Equatorial Africa. Syria and Lebanon were seized by a combined British-Free French force when Germany tried to use them to support a coup attempt by pro-Axis figures in Iraq. Only French North Africa and French West Africa remained under Vichy control, and Hitler was never confident that either would not fight if he actually tried to exercise authority over them. SO he left Vichy as an officially neutral client-state, refusing to interfere with its overseas territories.

But there was no way possible for them to send those 4 million dudes. They didn't have the transport craft, they had no hope of seizing control of the seas or air. They had just as much hope of sending those 4 million dudes to the moon.
They did.

Out of curiosity, do you have any numbers for how economically dependant Nazi Germany was on the Soviet Union?
Yes. In addition to the German-Soviet Credit Agreement of 1939, which I linked to above, there were agreements signed in 1940 and 1941. Germany owed the USSR over 1 billion Reichsmarks in payment for goods received from the USSR, including oil, rubber, and most importantly, grain. That last link has a graph, which I can't post. It is under this sub-heading. I strongly recommend you read it. It points out that without Soviet assistance, Germany would actually have run out of four of its most important military resources, oil, rubber, manganese, and, most important of all, grain, by October 1941. Oil and grain would have expended before Operation: Barbarossa even began without Soviet assistance. From 1939-41, that assistance amounted to:

1,600,000 tons of grains
900,000 tons of oil
200,000 tons of cotton
140,000 tons of manganese
200,000 tons of phosphates
20,000 tons of chrome ore
18,000 tons of rubber
100,000 tons of soybeans
500,000 tons of iron ores
300,000 tons of scrap metal and pig iron
2,000 kilograms of platinum
Germany, to put it simply, could not have fought WWII if the USSR had not given them a huge amount of resources on credit. Funnily enough, since Germany declared war on the USSR before it paid off that credit, the USSR essentially subsidised the German war effort.

The initial agreement with the USSR was to pay 200 million Reichsmarks, and provide a further 120 million Reichsmarks worth of manufactured goods - including the plans for several German vehicles and weapons, most notably the plans for a Bismark-class battleship, in exchange for raw materials from the USSR. The full amount was due in 1946, with interest, but Germany was failing to meet its requried regular payments, and the closer to Operation: Barbarossa it got, the less German materiel and plans were handed over to the Soviets. It was obvious that Germany would default on its debts to the USSR. This would effectively be a declaration of war and bankruptcy at the same time, and it's not a good idea to go to war when you're bankrupt.

Also, could you elaborate on how they were militarily outmatched by the UK?
Certainly. During the war, British production of both aircraft and naval vessels vastly outripped that of Germany. This meant that even if Germany had been winning the Battle of Britain, which it wasn't, it would still not be able to produce enough aircraft to gain air supremacy over Britan, as the UK was constructing plans faster than the Germans were. The Germans also could not produce enough ships to compete with the Royal Navy, meaning they could not defend a beachhead on the English coast, if they had the capacity to seize one, which they of course did not.

Additionally, despite the myth of German "wonder weapons," most of the German equipment produced during the war was qualitatively inferior to that of their enemies. Even the Soviets produced better tanks than the Germans, and the British produced better ships and planes, in addition to making more of them. The one advantage Germany had was its submarines; those were fantastic. But they lacked the necessary backing from a surface fleet to make them anthing more than a nuisance to merchant shipping, which they simply could not destroy enough of.

Then of course, there is the simple fact that Operation: Sea Lion was untenable, for the simple reason that Germany didn't have any landing craft capable of crossing the English Channel. Hence my earlier joke about them swimming across.

In short, Germany was making less planes and ships than the UK, the planes and ships they were making weren't as good as those made by the UK, and while the German army was larger and better, it didn't possess the transports to actually get it to the UK, or even across the Mediterranean to cut off Britain from its Empire. This is all ignoring the big red, white, and blue elephant in the room; the United States was subsidising the UK's war effort, rendering all other economic arguments moot, even if the UK's economy hadn't been winning the production war on its own.

Sending 4 million guys 2,000 km away to fight in Volgograd or Kursk doesn't seem easier to me than crossing the 30 km of the Straight of Dover.
It is when you have tanks and trucks that can get to Kursk, but no ships that can get to Dover. It's less distance for me to get to Norfolk Island than Perth, but as I lack both a plane and a ship, I can make it to the latter but not to the former.

This hasn't even been attempted... I've never read any source about any plan from Germany to actually make a negative Overlord.
You've never heard of Operation: Sea Lion?

I agree the British navy was clearly superior to the German but the Germans had the air superiority (otherwise no blitz),
No they didn't. Contrary to Churchillian propaganda and subsequent mythologising, the Battle of Britain was never in doubt. Germany was incapable of achieving air superiority, let alone the air supremacy it needed for an invasion, over either Southern England, and couldn't even hit the rest of the British Isles. This is why the school of thought that the Blitz was simply an attempt to terrorise the British into a capitulation, rather than as part of a legitimate strategy to prepare for an invasion, is gaining currency in the historical community.

they had the material superiority as well,
No, they didn't. See my comments above to Ajidica, links included. Germany had a quantitave advantage in its army, and enjoyed a similar initial advantage with the Luftwaffe, but the RAF swiftly eclipsed the Luftwaffe and the Wehrmacht was incapable of reaching the UK, or of reaching North Africa in sufficient numbers to conquer Britain through the "back door," by taking Suez and threatening India.

and the distance to cross was so short.
The distance between me and my toes is short, but I'm damned if I can touch them half the time. I can't touch my roof, as I do not possess a ladder. Germany did not possess the requisite landing craft to invade the UK. Now, they could have landed small detachments on British soil. They landed spies there on multiple occasions. They also paradropped several spies. But they could not launch a sustained, prolonged invasion of the UK, due to the lack of necessary ships. They were so desperate they considered modifying barges built for traversing the Rhine to cross the English Channel, which would have simply resulted in a lot of German helmets and guns at the bottom of the English Channel, just waiting for scuba divers to turn them into a tourist attraction.

The way I feel it, and from what I've read, Hitler simply never really wanted to invade England. It has never been an objective for him,
This is true. But Hitler also never wanted to invade Poland or France. He had tremendous respect for the French, telling Goebbels; "Except for us, the French are the best fighters. They will be great allies..." He wanted Alsace-Lorraine, but was willing to sacrifice it for the greater goal of getting France onside, much as he sacrificed South Tyrol to Mussolini's Italy for the same purpose.

He also pursued a rapprochement with Poland for five years, aimed at forming an anti-communist bloc in Eastern-Central Europe, until Ribbentrop, to Hitler's immense frustration, provoked a diplomatic furore by expelling Polish-born Jews from the Sudetenland, sending them back to Poland, which, as a very anti-Semitic state in its own right, didn't want them. Ribbentrop was prone to such idiocy, but he was sycophantic enough that he usually got away with it. If Hitler had the capacity to invade the UK, he would have done so.

James Stuart already went into the particulars of the operation itself and why it failed on a strategic level.
I did? I don't remember doing that.

If he wants to give that again here he's welcome to.
Don't mind if I do.

There's a quote floating around, by a Nazi officer (Paulus, or Mannerheim? Not sure.) that had they known the possibilities of the Soviet Union, they would have invaded in 1939. How plausible is that?
Mannerheim wasn't a Nazi, he was Finnish. Do you mean the recorded conversation between Hitler and Mannerheim where Hitler admitted that invading the USSR was a mistake?

To put it simply Google Earth tells there are 1,000 km from the Polish border to Moscow, and still another 1,000 km from Moscow to the Urals, and yet again another 1,000 km from the Urals to Omsk (which is the beginning of Siberia and a city which developped a huge weapon industry during ww2). I remember the lyrics of the Katyusha song, talking about a young boy who left his village to fight at the far away border. That tells everything about the scale of Russia.

All this to come back to the initial point. There is absolutely no reason to believe that capturing Moscow would have meant the end of the USSR. And it was just impossible for the Germans to go any further. Barbarossa was simply doomed from start.
Firstly, distance doesn't matter if you have the fuel and other supplies to travel it. The US launched a successful trans-continental invasion from across the Atlantic, and occupied both Japan and Korea from across the Pacific. Germany's problem was logistics, not distance. And very little of that land beyond the Volga was useful; if the Soviets were forced back there, they wouldn't be able to do much with it.

To your "initial point," Moscow was the administrative centre of the USSR, as well as its cultural, economic, telecommonuications, and transport hub. If Moscow is taken you effectively cut off Siberia and the Caucasus from Archangelsk, Leningrad, and everything else west of Moscow. The Soviet transportation system was both incredibly centralised and incredibly backwards by the standards of the time. There was absolutely no redundancy, with the sole exception of the Trans-Siberian railroad, which passed Moscow anyway. If Moscow were seized, the rump Soviet Union in the west is now out of communication with the evacuated Politburo in the east. Supplies from the US that go through Archangelsk and Murmansk are now unable to reach the Soviet forces east of Moscow, and the overland route from Vladivostok is both slower and capable of carrying less. It also takes longer to get supplies from the US to Vladivostok than it does from the US to Murmansk. The other route, through Iran, is even slower.

Then there's the morale issue. Stalin already descended into depression and was almost overthrown during the initial stages of Operation: Barbarossa; it would appear that he kept his job mostly because none of his potential successors - Molotov, Beria, Malenkov, Zhukov, etc. - had any better ideas for dealing with the German advance, and didn't want to engender a political crisis on top of a military one. But if Moscow falls, Stalin is almost certainly being overthrown. I imagine this is more likely to be a decision by the military than the Politburo, which leads to a power struggle at the worst possible time. Stalin did such a poor job of handling the initial stages of the war that it would be only prudent to overthrow him in the event that the capital fell. And that's assuming that Stalin, who refused to leave Moscow during the German advance, despite evacuating the rest of the government to Kuibyshev, isn't killed or captured by the German advance.

Finally, there's the administrative issue. The USSR's centralising tendencies have long been overplayed in the West, but they certainly existed. Information, like the transportation hubs mentioned earlier, had to pass through a very stratified, centralised system. Stalin's USSR was a bureaucratic nightmare. And that bureaucracy all went through Moscow. What happens when that bureaucracy, absolutely essential to running a state of the USSR's size and complexity, already dislocated by war, suddenly finds that it's end-point is under enemy occupation? At best there is a bureaucratic freeze as functions are transferred to Kuibyshev. More likely, there is panic and confusion, and law and order break down. This is disastrous in wartime, as the military relies on that bureaucracy more than any other organisation; Stalin bureacratised his military early, so as to ensure its loyalty. Since many of the USSR's officers were newly liberated from the gulag, where they were sent on Stalin's orders, it's unlikely they would be terrible interested in rebuilding bureacratic networks, rather than simply pillaging for the resources they needed to keep their soldiers alive.

It is far from certain that the fall of Moscow would doom the USSR; it is possible that the alternate arrangements made by Molotov at Kuibyshev would have kept the Soviet state alive, and that Germany would face similar issues of overstretch and undersupply at any rate. But a German victory, while impossible without Moscow, suddenly becomes very, very likely with it.

To add to what red elk has said, capturing Moscow would have been very important for Germany - both for propaganda reasons, but also for the more practical reason that it was the major transport hub in Russia. Both East-West and North-South rail lines converged in the Soviet capital, and it's loss would have significantly impared the Soviet ability to transport men, machinery and supplies between the regions of their vast territory (e.g. bringing the fruits of the relocated industry to the front lines...).

Of course, taking Moscow wouldn't have instantly won the war, but had the German's done so during Barbarossa, they would've have been closer to the point where the Soviet Union would be forced to negotiate.

In the long run, the Soviets likely would've been able to compensate for the loss of this transport capacity, but the entire German strategy was based around there not being a "long term" for the war, and had they been correct in their assumptions, had the Soviets not had the size of army they did and had, as a result, the Germans succedeed in their initial goals, there's certainly a chance there wouldn't have been - maybe not a huge chance, but a chance none-the-less, and the combination of economic and ideological factors that constrained the German government meant that they took that chance.
This is an excellent summation of Moscow's importance as a transport hub.

According to Speer, Hitler didn't even plan to seriously negotiate with the Soviets after the collapse of European Russia. He considered the continuous nuisance of a neutered Russia to be a good thing do to his social darwinist perspective. The plan was to simply leave it, like the African interior in the 19th century.
To be fair, Speer was not exactly known for his honesty. And Hitler wasn't known for having a particularly coherent foreign policy.

What happens when that bureaucracy, absolutely essential to running a state of the USSR's size and complexity, already dislocated by war, suddenly finds that it's end-point is under enemy occupation? At best there is a bureaucratic freeze as functions are transferred to Kuibyshev. More likely, there is panic and confusion, and law and order break down. This is disastrous in wartime, as the military relies on that bureaucracy more than any other organisation
There was a moment close to panic in Moscow in late October, when Germans reached suburbs of the city and lots of people started to flee from Moscow. Measures were taken to prevent panic. Stalin's decisions (such as not leaving the city which was almost in a besieged state) of that time show the importance of Moscow and his determination to hold the city at all costs.

Documentary footage:
Parade on Red Square, 7-th November 1941 - anniversary of October Revolution.
Parade was organized at the very dramatic moments of Moscow battle, to lift the spirits of city defenders and inhabitants.

Spoiler :

Stalin's speech at the parade, with subtitles.
Spoiler :

I'm really surprized people here think that reaching Moscow would have meant the end of the USSR. I see nothing in the way the country was operated to consider the growing Soviet war machine couldn't work without Moscow.

Yes, losing Ukraine meant losing wheat... but this actually happened and it didn't prevent the USSR from winning the war. The war industry was built at the East of Moscow, and you obviously totally underestimate how overstretched Germany already was by december 1941 at its max expansion.

And anyway, if taking Moscow would have been enough to make the USSR fall, then the Nazis wouldn't have focused all their efforts on Stalingrad. So... there are reasons to be skeptical.

If you're trying to understand the German decision-making process at the time, I don't think you can dismiss their straightup arrogance and racism.

Because Germany was effectively bankrupt by 1941.

This.

I agree the British navy was clearly superior to the German but the Germans had the air superiority (otherwise no blitz), they had the material superiority as well, and the distance to cross was so short.

Um.

No they didn't. Contrary to Churchillian propaganda and subsequent mythologising, the Battle of Britain was never in doubt. Germany was incapable of achieving air superiority, let alone the air supremacy it needed for an invasion, over either Southern England, and couldn't even hit the rest of the British Isles. This is why the school of thought that the Blitz was simply an attempt to terrorise the British into a capitulation, rather than as part of a legitimate strategy to prepare for an invasion, is gaining currency in the historical community.

And this.

As PCH and I (and surely James Stuart at some point) have and will point out, the greatest threat to Hitler and the Nazi Reich was not England or Russia. It was time. The Reich was operating on borrowed time. They did not have the industry, manpower, or economy to sustain themselves, let alone their conquests. Without another conquest to sustain themselves, Nazi Germany realistically would have collapsed naturally (assuming no Soviet Invasion) some time in the mid-late 1940s.

And this.

Sorry I don't have anything to add to this discussion.

If you're trying to understand the German decision-making process at the time, I don't think you can dismiss their straightup arrogance and racism.
Yes. The more it goes and the more I believe you simply can't take that out to understand it all.

This and also the fact that we were only at the very early years of mechanized warfare. The whole potential of it was just not known. And even if in June 1941 starting Barbarossa could look adventurous, so did the campaign of France a year earlier and it ended with astonishing results. German tanks and planes broke the allies logistics so fast they didn't even have the time to understand what was happening to them.

After all, it's always easier to judge a decision bad after it failed rather than when it is taken.

And even if in June 1941 starting Barbarossa could look adventurous, so did the campaign of France a year earlier and it ended with astonishing results. German tanks and planes broke the allies logistics so fast they didn't even have the time to understand what was happening to them.
I think the results of French campaign influenced Hitler's decision to invade USSR. And the first results of Barbarossa were similarly successful - the difference is that USSR had the capability to withstand the first crushing blow. Which later made it possible to learn how to counter German tactics and eventually beat them.

I'm really surprized people here think that reaching Moscow would have meant the end of the USSR. I see nothing in the way the country was operated to consider the growing Soviet war machine couldn't work without Moscow.
Yeah, it's not like I spnt three hours making a post about that or anything. The USSR was very centralised. Losing Moscow would have a far more deleterious effect than losing Paris or London would have, just based on bureacratic and administrative issues. And no one claimed that the Red Army would magically stop working without Moscow. Don't strawman people. WHat people, including myself, claimed, is that without Moscow the Red Army would have incredible difficulty with transportation, communication, administration, and leadership. You have offered absolutely nothing to counter those claims, except some clap-trap about how big the USSR was.

Yes, losing Ukraine meant losing wheat... but this actually happened and it didn't prevent the USSR from winning the war. The war industry was built at the East of Moscow, and you obviously totally underestimate how overstretched Germany already was by december 1941 at its max expansion.
No one is denying that Germany was overstretched. That is, after all, what halted their expansion. As I said, stop strawmanning people. And you might remember a certain massive famine in the USSR in 1946, due in no small part to the despoliation of the Ukraine.

The war industry most certanly was NOT "East of Moscow." The transfer of the Soviet manufacturing plant away from the European USSR was a hasty evacuation begun after Operation: Barbarossa started, and while it succeeded in saving much equipment, the factories themselves were either destroyed or fell into German hands. It took until 1944 before the Soviets had comfortably moved on from the initial destruction to their manufacturing base Barbarossa entailed, and that was possible in large part due to US Lend-Lease aid. Specifically, the Soviets needed trucks, as the Germans had blown up their bridges and railway lines, and the USSR's road network was worse than some African colonies. This left trucks capable of operating on dirt tracks as the only Soviet method capable of shipping supplies from the Caucasus to the new manufactories. And as we have already stated, Moscow was the most important transport hub in the USSR, and its seizure would have effectively cut off Murmansk from Kuibyshev. Good luck running the USSR when it's split in two like that.

And anyway, if taking Moscow would have been enough to make the USSR fall, then the Nazis wouldn't have focused all their efforts on Stalingrad. So... there are reasons to be skeptical.
Yes, because events in 1942, after the advance on Moscow stalled, are directly related to Nazi military planning a year earlier. Don't be foolish. By the summer of 1942, Barbarossa had failed, Moscow was unassailable, and Germany needed to find another means of defeating the USSR. The solution was a strategic offensive in the Black Sea region, which was inferior to an assault on Moscow in many ways.

The most obvious was that the USSR was not administratively dependent on the Caucasus. Another was that cutting off the Caucasus from th rest of the USSR wouldn't split Soviet forces and damage communications and transport between two halves of the state; at most, it would isolate some Soviet forces south of the Volga, but leave the remainder of the Red Army attacking the Wehrmacht along a broad front stretching even further across the USSR than before. It would also add a very attenuated southern frontier, stretching across the Ukraine into the Caucasus, which would take very little effort for a concerted Soviet push to cut off from the remainder of the German military. This is what actually happened at Stalingrad, where the German 6th Army became trapped, and the Germans were forced to abandon it, and the Caucasus, rather than have even more soldiers trapped behind Soviet lines.

The Germans expended the effort needed to seize Stalingrad because it was a very important transport hub in its own right, linking the Caucasian oilfields with the rest of the USSR. In addition to cutting off the Soviets from their own oil supply, taking Stalingrad would split Soviet forces, in theory allowing Manstein to mop up the Red Army south of the Volga and take control of the oilfields. As it was, this never happened, and I am one of many who argue that Stalingrad was an unnecessary addition to the original plan for Case: Blue. I believe that forces sent to Stalingrad would have been better suited to securing the oilfields in the first place, then sweeping north to take the city, rather than being split.

But by all means, continue to defend your objectively false determination that Barbarossa was an inherently inferior plan to a magical invasion of the UK. The lack of attention paid to previous debunkings of that idea is beginning to vex me.

I think the results of French campaign influenced Hitler's decision to invade USSR. And the first results of Barbarossa were similarly successful - the difference is that USSR had the capability to withstand the first crushing blow. Which later made it possible to learn how to counter German tactics and eventually beat them.
The poor Soviet performance in the Winter War also helped.

Browsing wiki from your Fall Blau link, I arrived at this beauty:
wiki said:
Stavka of the Main Command was reorganised into the Stavka of the Supreme Command (Stavka Verkhovnogo Komandovaniya)[1] on 10 July 1941. On 8 August 1941 it was again reorganised into Stavka of the Supreme Main Command (Stavka Verkhovnogo Glavnokomandovaniya).

Sorry James Stuart but I won't answer you. The condescending tone brings just nothing and I have no clue why you are so aggressive.

If you don't want Straw man arguments to be used against you, then don't use them by yourself at first. :)

Especially that it's unnecessary to waste hours to try debunking the idea Barbarossa was a rotten plan considering that.... well History proved us it actually was. Germany reached many of its primary objectives (seizing Ukraine, besieging both Moscow and Leningrad, making the population starve) but it hasn't lead to the expected consequences.

Just to give food for thoughts, here's a map showing the Soviet Union population density.
I've added an outline of the US to give a sense of scale as well as both front lines from the end of 1941 and the end of 1942.

So you didn't actually start this thread with the intention of discussing anything, but merely with the intention of pushing your pet viewpoint? Alright then, feel free to piss off and not waste three hours of my ing time last night.

I'm all ready for discussing as long as you don't repeat me I'm an idiot every two lines. :)

And for the matter, it was really painful considering how aggressive you were but I did read your whole post.

It looks like you two are going to be best friends.

(Was I looking for an excuse to use that picture? Could be!)

Certainly. During the war, British production of both aircraft and naval vessels vastly outripped that of Germany. This meant that even if Germany had been winning the Battle of Britain, which it wasn't, it would still not be able to produce enough aircraft to gain air supremacy over Britan, as the UK was constructing plans faster than the Germans were. The Germans also could not produce enough ships to compete with the Royal Navy, meaning they could not defend a beachhead on the English coast, if they had the capacity to seize one, which they of course did not.

Additionally, despite the myth of German "wonder weapons," most of the German equipment produced during the war was qualitatively inferior to that of their enemies. Even the Soviets produced better tanks than the Germans, and the British produced better ships and planes, in addition to making more of them. The one advantage Germany had was its submarines; those were fantastic. But they lacked the necessary backing from a surface fleet to make them anthing more than a nuisance to merchant shipping, which they simply could not destroy enough of.
On the subject of tanks, I was under the impression that as good as the Matilda II was, it suffered badly when faced with German 88mm guns and suffered from numerous other issues once it was no longer facing Italian tanks.
It could very well be my inherently American-centric viewpoint, but I don't remember the later British tanks as being particularly stellar, especially when compared with the Sherman, T-34, and Panther.

I'm all ready for discussing as long as you don't repeat me I'm an idiot every two lines. :)

And for the matter, it was really painful considering how aggressive you were but I did read your whole post.
I never once called you an idiot. I said you were using strawman arguments, which you were. I only became "aggressive" because you persisted in making an argument that multiple posters, including myself, had already debunked; that taking Moscow wouldn't matter, because the USSR was like, so big guys. Its size is not nearly as important as its industry, which was almost entirely based in the areas that the Nazis were already threatening. Given the destruction and evacuation of this industry behind the Urals and the Volga, the USSR was vulnerable. It was perilously close to what is known as a failure cascade.

Why Wiki doesn't mention political failure cascades, such as the series of civil wars, palace coups, and loss of patronage that ended the West Roman Empire, is beyond me. Another example would be the collapse of Fascist Italy; failure in offensive war, the loss of colonies, the arrival of foreign military forces in the home territory, followed by civil war, outbreaks of resistance and brigrandry, the overthrow of the ruler and his eventual bloody murder. Just realised that both my examples were Italian.

On the subject of tanks, I was under the impression that as good as the Matilda II was, it suffered badly when faced with German 88mm guns and suffered from numerous other issues once it was no longer facing Italian tanks.
It could very well be my inherently American-centric viewpoint, but I don't remember the later British tanks as being particularly stellar, especially when compared with the Sherman, T-34, and Panther.
I specifically didn't mention tanks for a reason ;). The T-34 was probably the best tank of the war. The Panzers tended to be too heavy. The French tanks were very good as well, but get no credit; it was the tactics used by the French that doomed them in 1940, not any technological infreriority.

I'm pretty sure Italian tanks really could be defeated by spearmen. They were that bad.

to the thread starting post .

adolf was not exactly that dumb , he knew America sooner or later would come for him . In the name of Liberty and all , meaning London having finally paid the right amount . To match that he needed the massive resources of Russia and stuff . Now that Stalin wouldn't give Russia to him he would have take it by force . Hence war was obviously certain .

what doomed the Germans that they "accidentally" knocked France out of the game , endangering the standing of the UK by making the US all powerful through potential ; Nazis would have to pay for that , no matter what . That doomed their crusade against the godless Commies - they were hoping to be given a free-hand in the East for 30-50 years . ( Naturally , to grow strong enough to kill every type of untermensch after defeating the US -kinda the schwerpunkt of International Jewry and stuff .)

Marla_Singer, that population density map helps disprove your own point. Germany almost conquered the area with all the people in it. More importantly, it had all the industry.

Now I think it underestimated Soviet resiliency. The war did a lot to energize Soviet industry east of the Urals, which, once that was established, there wasn't a whole lot Germany could do. But the plan was sound as the only viable way to defeat the Soviet Union. It was possible to cut off the head and destroy Soviet industry. Unfortunately, the Nazi plan stalled and, once it stalled, it was doomed. Now the odds may have been against it from the start, but others have pointed out that it didn't have many viable options at that point anyway. Going to war with all of Europe and the United States with only Italy as an ally (the only country to probably make you weaker once you've allied) stacks the odds against you no matter what.

Marla_Singer, that population density map helps disprove your own point. Germany almost conquered the area with all the people in it. More importantly, it had all the industry.

Now I think it underestimated Soviet resiliency. The war did a lot to energize Soviet industry east of the Urals, which, once that was established, there wasn't a whole lot Germany could do. But the plan was sound as the only viable way to defeat the Soviet Union. It was possible to cut off the head and destroy Soviet industry. Unfortunately, the Nazi plan stalled and, once it stalled, it was doomed. Now the odds may have been against it from the start, but others have pointed out that it didn't have many viable options at that point anyway. Going to war with all of Europe and the United States with only Italy as an ally (the only country to probably make you weaker once you've allied) stacks the odds against you no matter what.
That description of Italy is very amusing. The description of Germany as having no allies besides Italy, however, is false. Germany had several European allies.

Hungary was almost as strong as Italy, but unwilling to take political risks in the pre-war period. Once war broke out, however, Hungary was a willing partner of Germany's until the Soviets came knocking in 1944.

Romania veered in and out of the Axis orbit depending on who was in power, but after 1940 was a near-fanatical ally of Germany; the rivalry with Hungary over Transylvania probably drove some of this fanaticism, as Romania needed German support to regain that territory.

The client-states of Croatia and Slovakia were willing German allies, though Croatia was more a Mussolini project.

Bulgaria was a special case; it aligned itself with the Axis, but cleverly avoided declaring war on the USSR and used brilliant diplomatic manoeuvres to not only avoid most of the destruction of the war, but was the only Axis ally to actually gain territory at the war's conclusion, gaining Southern Dobruja from hapless Romania. The Bulgarian king once met with Hitler, and Hitler left the meeting having gained nothing, stating that he "would rather have teeth pulled" than go through another such meeting. The Bulgarians were even smart enough to welcome the Soviets as liberators in 1944, even though they didn't feel that way, and generally played the political field more intelligently than any other state in Europe.

Even Poland looked like becoming an ally of Germany until late 1938, due to Ribbentrop's bumbling destroying a previous rapprochement Hitler had spent years developing.

Finland became a Nazi ally out of necessity, when invaded by the USSR, but was a very competent one, enjoying more success against the USSR than any other state.

Outside of Europe, Germany was obviously allied with Japan. It also had a strong relationship with several Indian nationalists - Gandhi made several very positive statements about Hitler before the war, probably seeking his support against the UK - and the Kuomintang in China, before being forced to choose between the latter and Japan.

Tibet was a close, if useless, Nazi ally from 1933 on; this is a rare case of Nazi ideology driving foreign policy rather than Hitler trying to find ideological excuses for his foreign policy decisions, as Tibet added nothing to the Axis, but many Nazis saw Tibet as a model Aryan state, apparently believing some of the strange myths about Tibetan religious practices, such as astral projection and reincarnation. Himmler especially had an interest in Tibet, and provided them with SS doctors.

Germany was also on good terms with many South American states, with Argentina being the favourite destination of fleeing Nazis after WWII ended. Iraq and Iran both had to be occupied by the UK and the USSR to keep them from going over to the Axis in 1941.

A big issue with Marla's map is the lack of transportation information. There was literally only one railroad that crossed the USSR, and it ran through Moscow. I also believe there was only one telegraph line, running alongside that railroad, though I may be mistaken about that.

The French tanks were very good as well, but get no credit; it was the tactics used by the French that doomed them in 1940, not any technological infreriority.
From what I read, French army 1939-1940 was actually very competent, at least from the technological point of view. Though at that time, major world powers didn't yet learn to deal with new German tactics and were rather prepared to fight WW1-style battles (of course I'm oversimplifying here, but this is a general idea). But in 1939 Western allies had an opportunity to defeat Germany when Hitler launched invasion of Poland and left pretty much token forces to defend Western border of Germany.

From what I read, French army 1939-1940 was actually very competent, at least from the technological point of view. Though at that time, major world powers didn't yet learn to deal with new German tactics and were rather prepared to fight WW1-style battles (of course I'm oversimplifying here, but this is a general idea). But in 1939 Western allies had an opportunity to defeat Germany when Hitler launched invasion of Poland and left pretty much token forces to defend Western border of Germany.
This is entirely true. It was French tactics and strategy that was the issue, not their technology or manpower. The French - and British - tank tactic of choice was to split up either single tanks, or small groups, among various infantry regiments as armoured support for infantry operations. This was how tanks were used in the latter stages of WWI. The tanks of WWII were, of course, vastly superior to those early designs, and by splitting them up the French simply allowed their qualitatively superior tanks to be destroyed by the Germans. The French also had larger numbers of tanks than Germany, but as they were divided, the Germans achieved local numerical superiority in every battle, excepting Colonel De Gaulle's (probably unauthorised; there's always been debate about that) counterstrike.

The French sent a token force into the Saarland in 1940, but withdrew in the face of a German minefield they probably wouldn't have had much trouble with, and waited for Germany to launch an attack on them. They seemed to think they could bleed Germany, as they had in WWI, but without any similar damage to themselves, on account of the Maginot Line. A poor decision, not just in hindsight, but at the time, as De Gaulle and many other junior officers warned the leadership.

Top Bottom