A very unusual multiplayer bug/issue

Godspark

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I have a pretty good desktop computer (specs below), and have not have any major problems playing Civ V before. I lived at a place with a strong internet connection, but a degrading motherboard, which might be the cause of the issue. Civ is installed on my SSD, while the other games, as well as Steam, are installed on a regular HDD.

After there was a power failure in the city, my computer had to reformat the windows drive (SSD) only, but I fear that hardware components may have been damaged. I also moved my PC to a house with a much slower connection, due to moving.
After that, whenever I play Civ V multiplayer with MORE than 3 total players, there is about 5-10sec lag at the start of each turn, but with 3 or less players, there is a lot less lag <2 sec.

The most likely solution was that the internet connection was too slow, but that is not the case, since my laptop (much more crappy than my desktop PC), can play multiplayer with more than 3 players very well. I also tested the Steam in-home streaming, hosting Civ on laptop and streaming to my desktop client, which also works well with more than 3 players.

Any ideas to what is causing the problem, or how to fix it? Tried re-installing civ, and the 'Civ5_MP_Lag_Patch_byDuxa' fix, but they don't work for me.

I have tried to connect through both (one at a time) the mobo-integrated ethernet slot and a USB Wi-fi dongle, and both keep getting me the lag issue.

Specs
- CPU: Phenom II x4 965
- RAM: 8GB
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950
- 1 SSD
- 1 HDD

- Feel free to ask if more specific specs are needed.

Top Bottom