completing installation??

andreafin

Prince
hi i just had a problem. i only put steam and civ 5 online to download mods first of all. i comment on mods that i have in steam when online but i dont play online, unless i need to update a mod.

i just tried to play civ v offline and got a window come up Completing installation. it went to 1% and stalled until i tried to play civ with steam in online mode, where it went through twice, from 0% to 100%.

my questions is, why is it messing around like this when i have touched NOTHING with my civ 5 install? the mods i have had for some time and nothing like this has happened before when i tried to start it.

i HAVE had issues with skyrim going to infinite loading screen or hanging and i have had to restart the laptop with steam and skyrim open and that was only way i could get out of skyrims full screen nothingness. but steam has verified itself each time afterwards and this is only time it has not run civ 5 when i asked. so is it a steam problem? or a civ 5 update which i missed seeing about?

oh and there was no error codes, just the completing installation window which got to 0% or 1% offline and stuck there.

I would go into steam settings and uncheck the box that enables auto update check.

ok i dont see a box like that in steam settings. do you mean the drop down menu in the civ 5 prefs?
its set to keep it up to date.
it sounds like you think steam was trying to check for an update in offline mode. surely if its in offline mode it would assume there is not internet?

If Steam does not go into proper offline mode, then yes it still thinks that it is online. I have seen where Steam knows that you are online, even if you shut down Steam to go in offline mode. Steam seems to operate on the fact that you are offline not just the game. If you are still online but are just attempting to trick Steam into thinking you are not, this is a bug with Steam.

When someone says they are playing in offline mode the default thought is that they have no internet connection. If one still maintains an online connection, why would they need to go into Steam in offline mode? There seems to still be a part of Steam running in the background at all times that monitors if you are online. If all your games are enabled to auto check for updates, then that is a part of such monitoring even if you think that you are in offline mode.

The solution would be to uncheck the ability to auto update in each steam game, or actually go offline with your computer and not just Steam. No, Steam does not assume there is no internet. As long as your computer is on it will constantly monitor that condition, and if it sees that you are online, it may try to auto update behind the scene, because that is how it works.

hi i just had a problem. i only put steam and civ 5 online to download mods first of all. i comment on mods that i have in steam when online but i dont play online, unless i need to update a mod.

i just tried to play civ v offline and got a window come up Completing installation. it went to 1% and stalled until i tried to play civ with steam in online mode, where it went through twice, from 0% to 100%.

my questions is, why is it messing around like this when i have touched NOTHING with my civ 5 install? the mods i have had for some time and nothing like this has happened before when i tried to start it.

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I was playing Civ V happily until about three days ago. Without changing anything on my part I suddenly started getting the "completing installation" message, which ran through from 0% to 100%, before giving a Steam error message 53 (servers too busy to service my request). In my case I found that turning off McAfee real-time scanning before loading Civ V fixed the problem. Subsequent loading of Civ V has worked without the need to turn off McAfee.

I hope this helps.

ty for the help!
i use avg free but it hasnt updated recently that i know of and hasnt caused any problems. i havent had the completing installation thing before nor did i see it go to more than 1%. as to being offline, i have a usb dongle internet connection. i have to physically plug it in to go online. this problem occured when in offline and the dongle was not connected. unless my wifi has switched itself on and connected to a neighbours network, there is no way steam should have been able to detect any kind of network let alone the internet. thats what was confusing about this.

if it occurs again, i will let it go to an error and see what that number is. the only change that might have affected things is i got skyrim very recently; i use a number of mods with it, but i have seen on forums that skyrim can do all sorts of hangs and crashes even unmodded; and sometimes it does an infinite loading screen, which as its in full screen mode means i cannot switch out to the desktop.

i have been forcing it to close by restarting. steam sometimes needs to verify itself after that, and i suspect thats what was causing the problem. i would try to kill skyrim in task manager, but sadly i can ctrl alt del and start it; but if i try to select it from the taskbar, skyrim immediately imposes itself to front and goes full blackscreen. so i cant use task man to kill it, since i cant get a mouse pointer even and cant see anything but black. the upshot is, i think its the fact i have to restart and not exit steam (because skyrim wont respond to any command to close, and i cant force kill it, and even from taskbar i cant close steam until skyrim is closed) that might have caused it.

its possible avg free has added something i didnt notice i suppose, that is mimicing the scanning things. i played civ last night and several times feared civ v was crashing because it suddenly slowed to a stop for a number of seconds, i mean all the moving things like the fish and all audio stopped even. its never done that before either. i havent had any problems with avg free before other than it being an overbloated thing now full of trial offer options and thinks i dont want and will never use.

Top Bottom