Putting aspects of Civ3 Diplomacy back into Civ4

Jabie

Wanted in Monte Carlo...
Civ4 is a great game and a vast improvement on Civ3. However some of the diplomatic options were removed.

I've no idea how mod-able the diplomacy screen is, but here's a few options I wouldn't mind seeing back:

* Establish an Embassy

In Civ3, embassies were required to start trades, but in Civ4 they could give a +1 attitude bonus and +1 Espionage point per turn against that Civ. This would also give the option to close embassy (giving a -1 attitude penalty to the relevant Civ) which slightly broadens your diplomatic options. To encourage the use of embassies, establishing embassies them be too expensive - perhaps the distance between capitals x 2.

* Territory Map for trade as well as World Map

Again this is another bargaining chip that could be used. Handy when you meet foreign sailors and you want to state the extent of your lands, but you don't want to give away your entire world map.

The AI should treat a territory map as worth 80% of the value of the appropriate world map, and worthless when the same World Map is involved in a trade.

* Trade Communications

Another bargaining chip, it gives an incentive to explore the world faster than your opponents, but carries the downside of having to split your Espionage budget further. I'm guessing the AI should value communications with other Civs based on the score of the other Civs. High scoring civs ought to be worth more than low scoring ones.

You could argue that trading world maps performs this functions, but trading communications allows your to enable other Civs to communicate with one another without having to give away a World Map. This ties in somewhat with the capcity to trade Territory Maps outlined above.

I don't know if anyone's looked at these aspects already, if they have, can someone point me in the right direction.

Top Bottom