Installing Civ V without admin rights

Khalid

Warlord
Hi,

I will be issued a new company laptop soon and it will have Windows 7 on it and according to company policy I will not have admin rights on that laptop anymore. So now I wonder, if I will be able to install civ 5 somehow on that laptop to play when I am travelling around.

What I have found out so far is that i WILL need admin rights to install steam. I think I can persuade our IT guys to install steam although steam traffic is blocked by our network standard settings. However I do not think I will convince them to install civ 5 as somebody would need to sign a form that I need that for my work. So would I be able to do it myself withou admin rights when steam is installed? Are admin rights needed for the game patches and updates?

Do you know if they block attaching a thumb drive?

If they don't you could get an 8 or 16 Gig thumb drive. Load steam and civ5 on it. I would try to force steam to put saved games and other files onto the thumb drive and not into the Games folder. You can plug this drive into any computer and steam will recognize the new computer and ask you to install a code they send to your e-mail address and you are good to go.

You are not installing steam and using a thumb drive has worked in the past for me moving it from computer to computer. You do have to have internet connection, so steam can generate the new code when you access it from the thumb drive.

Thanks, that might be the solution. I definitely try that. Will I need the internet access every time I use the thumb drive or just for the first time on the new machine?

Only when you move the thumb drive to a different computer.

Top Bottom