Questions about The BUG Mod

:hammer2::suicide: OK, it turns out it was in the log after all, and I can't read. :rolleyes:
I guess I'm used to HoF where the entry is displayed on-screen, and I hadn't set a prefix, which is not blank by default in HoF. Maybe I need sleep. :crazyeye: Thanks, anyway.

Since the BUG, BAT, and Blue Marble Mods are all modifications that do not affect gameplay, I should be able to continue a game that I started before installing the mod if I install it right now, right? What I mean is, I should be able to save my game right now, download and install the mods, and then load that same game up and have it work correctly, right?

Yes with BlueMarble and BUG, no with BAT. BAT contains modular XML so it HAS to be loaded as a Mod. For you to load a saved game, it has to be a game started with the BAT Mod. Should have no problems with BUG though.:)

Thanks for using the right thread, and not starting a new one.;)

Interesting, so if you put BUG & Blue Marble in Custom Assets... and BAT in MODs how do the 2 ini's work ? I notice the BUG & BAT ini's contain some of the same settings: from a quick glance - Alternate Clock for one.

And if you want to install BUG/BAT as a 'single' mod? Or when you say BAT includes BUG... so you only need BAT?

Hmmm is it getting complicated maintaining separate files? Or were you able to utilize the same files used for BUG in BAT?

[Edit]
Just compared the svn directories, BAT by itself doesn't duplicate the files in BUG.

So then my original question stands, how do the ini files compete/work if you do CustomAssets(BUG) and MOD(BAT) ?

The SVN is kept straight -- BAT does not contain BUG at all. It is version-control gospel not to duplicate files in the repository. That way madness lies.

When Alerum packages BAT up for release, however, he merges in the latest BUG. So if you install BAT using the installer, you don't need BUG. If you use SVN to grab the files, you'll have to merge them yourself. I believe that means simply copying the BUG files over BAT -- there should be no collisions.

@kneark - To clarify Alerum's response, if you want to play a non-BUG game using BUG, you must install BUG into the CustomAssets folder. This is an option in the installer. Make sure you do not install it as a mod. BAT, as Alerum said, can only be installed as a mod, and thus you cannot continue non-BAT saved games using BAT.

Also, we have an outstanding bug in BUG where people have tried to play a saved game from BUG without BUG. When they open the log screen (ctrl-tab), the game crashes to the Windows desktop. :( Of course, no one really ever uninstalls BUG. ;) The problem happens when people play SGs together, some with BUG and some without.

Just downloaded Bug. This is my first time really using a mod. I'm playing BTS 3.13, and when I start a game with bug it starts on an empty tech screen, and when I go to tech advisor it's blank. Also, on my city screen I cannot speed production. The button appears active, but cannot be pushed.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong, not sure what....

Attachments

• CityExample.jpg
    CityExample.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 181
  • TechScreen.jpg
    TechScreen.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 167
I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post this question, but I looked through several other threads and was unable to find an answer.

I installed the BUG mod 2.30 using the exe installer as a mod. It works fine, but I none of the changes I make in options stay changed.

Civ BTS is updated to 3.13, and I am not having the no interface issue that several other people were. Any help would be appreciated, as I love playing with this mod.

Thank you

I think a couple bugs were introduced with the last release, currently reminders aren't working - and more than a few people have noted that options aren't sticking. Possibly the code that is looking for the .ini isn't writing to the right place, or reading from the right place.

Zarakand, if you are a previous BUG Mod user, did you make sure to uninstall or remove all traces of The BUG Mod from your PC, including the old BUG Mod.ini file?

Zarakand, if you are a previous BUG Mod user, did you make sure to uninstall or remove all traces of The BUG Mod from your PC, including the old BUG Mod.ini file?

Yes its a new PC that did not have civ installed on it at all. I uninstalled bug mod and reinstalled it yet I'm having the same issue where I when the options are changed it does not save the changes.

And how do I use them?

I downloaded and installed BlueMarble, BUG, BAT and CivScale (in that order) yesterday. It all went smoothly (in spite of having Vista ;)), and I'm eager to try it out. Looks swell :goodjob:

I started an old game (thus could not try out BAT, only BUG), and encountered these new symbols (see attachment). When starting a new game with BAT, those symbols are not present.

I tried clicking on each and every one of them, but to no immidiate effect. So, to repeat my question; what are they, and how do I use them?

And futhermore, to a complete computer-dummy like myself, the BUG-options (ctrl+Alt+O) are not selfexplanatory. Do I have to use the try-and-fail-method to find out the effect of each and every option, or is there some kind of user manual available in some thread?

And last, but definitely not least, I want to thank the team behind all this for the great job you've done. From the little I tried out last night, I found out that now I can finally use the :whipped: without killing myself. I think I'm going to get addicted to these mods. :D Thank you :goodjob:

Attachments

• BUG symbols.jpg
    BUG symbols.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 234
The Symbols explained: Click
All options have hover text, so you just have to, well, hover the cursor over them. :D Also you can find some more explanations in the help file.

btw: Is this a Spanish quote in your sig? If you have enough experience in Spanish, would you like to translate BUG to Spanish? Thats the only language we are still missing. :D

The Symbols explained: Click
All options have hover text, so you just have to, well, hover the cursor over them. :D Also you can find some more explanations in the help file.

btw: Is this a Spanish quote in your sig? If you have enough experience in Spanish, would you like to translate BUG to Spanish? Thats the only language we are still missing. :D

Thank you :D
I tried hovering over them last night, nothing happened. Then, following your link I find this remark "The hover text is not implemented yet." at the bottom of the post. :lol:

Yes, that is a spanish quote, from the chilean singer Victor Jara. And I do speak the language (chileans say I sound like a chilean who has lived too long in Nicaragua) but, being autodidact, trained by chileans here in Norway, I only speak the language, I do not have experience with written texts, and I'm lousy at the grammar, to say the least. I have done translations many times, but only from spanish, not into spanish. So sorry, but I think you have to look elsewhere for your translations.

I saw your advertisement for translators earlier, and gave it some serious thought but, I think that an attemt on my hand to translate a serious text into written castillean would cause both much grief and much laughter in spanishtalking countries.

And, as far as I know, none of my chilean friends here play Civ, so I doubt I can persuade any of my friends to step in.

Good luck in your hunt for translaters and, once again, thank you ever so much for helping me out. I've had the chance to play a bit more today, and I simply love this mod. :D

Ok I have a question and I am sorry if this has been asked since I don't really have time to read all the questions but...

Will this work in different mods and if so how can I install it onto a mod? Or do the modders have to configure this into their mod?

The mods I want to add this to would be FFH and Rhye's and Fall Epic.

for those you mentioned, the mod builders would need to build it in themselves. That said - I think the FfH people have a version of BUG that works with their mod.

I have a question as well.. I installed newest BUG over a fresh BtS 3.13 installation and everything works fine - except that all the small icons (shields, coins, health, grain...) have disappeared (see attached images).

I have tried both BUG 2.3 exe and zip, both as mod and CustomAssets, and then tried BUG 2.2 with the same result... Do you have any idea?

Attachments

• IF1.JPG
    IF1.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IF2.JPG
    IF2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 172
First, try playing it without the BUG Mod. This has happened once before and it turned out the person was missing artwork in their root game. Also, make sure the file GameFonts_75.tga is in your /res directory. Are you getting the Smiley Faces in the Score?

Hmm.. No, it is not that. As you can see attached, the root game works perfectly. I have GameFont_75.tga in the Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Res/Fonts as well... However, in the mod, there is still a problem.

The funny thing is that if I copy it to CustomAssets, the small icons go missing even in the root game :)

I don't know about the Smiley faces in the Score, because I couldn't manage to change the mod options... There are only two buttons: Help and Exit, but if I use Exit, all the changes disappear.

I am starting to think that I miss something really obvious. Anyway, thank you for the strong player support for your mod :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 169
Top Bottom