Some questions about possibilities of editing C3

albatros13

Chieftain
Hi,
Some questions about how(or is it possible) to do some stuff in editor(or just modding in overall).
1. How can i add resources to the ocean? When i add bonus resources(for example) to the ocean tiles, they don't appear. It seems like the generator always checks first if the city on the land can reach the tile to generate the resources?
2. Is it possible to make a new worker job? For example like another 'railroad' effect on a tile - giving increasing food or shield depending on the previous tile improvement.
3. Is it possible to make a new terrain?
4. Is it possible to make some tile improvement(terraform) on certain terrain(!) available only after a research?(or some other criterium)

Thank you.

Hi,
Some questions about how(or is it possible) to do some stuff in editor(or just modding in overall).
1. How can i add resources to the ocean? When i add bonus resources(for example) to the ocean tiles, they don't appear. It seems like the generator always checks first if the city on the land can reach the tile to generate the resources?

Hmm, I have added Sperm Whales, Right Whales, and Pelagic Fish as Ocean bonus resources, and never noticed that problem. I will check with my own editor and verify that.

2. Is it possible to make a new worker job? For example like another 'railroad' effect on a tile - giving increasing food or shield depending on the previous tile improvement.

I think that the Worker Jobs are hard-coded, but I will differ to some of my far more experienced colleagues on that.

Are you looking to give an existing terrain a new look, or make a totally new terrain type? You might want to look at some of the existing terrain modifications, such as Balthazar's Martian terrain.

4. Is it possible to make some tile improvement(terraform) on certain terrain(!) available only after a research?(or some other criterium)

Thank you.

That one I am not sure about. Anyone else have some ideas?

Edit Note: Which editor are you using? Quintillus has come up with a new cross-platform editor for both Macs and Windows machines that considerably extends what you could do in the Firaxis Editor that comes with the game.

Greetings, albatros13. First, I apologize for not welcoming you to the Forum, as it is always great to see a new modder in the group.
:band::salute::high5:

Next, I checked on the question of Ocean Resources, and it appears that you are correct in that no Ocean Resources appear unless you have Ocean Terrain within a city radius of the coast. Also, no Sea Resources appear unless they are within a city radius of the coast. I had not really noticed that before.

I ran a test of having one-tile islands amid the Ocean Terrain, with no Sea Terrain between the Coast Terrain and the Ocean. When I redistributed the resources, using my Oceanic Sperm and Right Whales, and Pelagic Fish, each Island was surrounded by a varying number of Ocean Resources. All of the islands were hills, and of the six I made, 3 ended up with strategic resources on them, Coal/Aluminum/Horses, while the island with the Coal had 9 of the 12 tiles of the "Fat X" containing fish. One of the other islands had Right Whales, while another had Sperm Whales, and all of the islands had fish, with the lowest number being 3.

I will do some more checking, but it would appear that the only way to have Ocean Resources on a Random Map is have some one-tile islands surrounded by Ocean or having the Ocean Terrain directly adjacent to the Coast Terrain, with no intervening Sea Terrain. I am not sure how often you would get that with a Random Map. With a custom-made map, that would be easy to do, which is why I have not noticed it before. Is does not appear that in a random map, you would get truly Oceanic resources.

I have bonus resources for oceans (whales) and ocean/sea (fish), and both show up on a random generated map. It may however, seem that they only appear where they could be reached by a (future) city. If they don't appear - have you checked if there are any prerequisite techs for that particular resource, and that the appearance ratio is not zero?

One solution would be to use the LM files to make some coastal water look like sea or ocean. Another would be to use something like Pounder's reefs as an LM Coast - making land look like sea. This would be impassable to ships, but then that's what reefs do anyway.

Hard-coded unless someone has discovered a hidden exploit. OTOH there are things you can do to achieve some specific results. Can you give a bit more detail on what you want to do?

Quintillus' editor has made every possible terrain available - 36 in total iirc. Gives you quite a few more possibilities.

Worker jobs can be flagged to require a specific tech. Worker jobs can also be assigned to more than one unit. So it would be possible to require both a tech and access to a resource to build or upgrade a unit which can do the improving.

Terrains can be flagged to be inaccessible to wheeled units. You could give workers the wheeled flag, then make an advanced worker unit which is not wheeled. Or do something like have a unit to build roads into the terrain, jungle for example, and a separate unit to transform the terrain. Bulldozers to make roads into jungles, then loggers to clear it to grassland, for example.

Top Bottom