Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual

I was looking at how to found a city, but I was using the BTS World Builder, and I haven't figured out how to build a city using the world builder. Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, Leoreth answered my question

I have a question that has still gone unanswered for three years now, and I am still frustrated. I walked away from it, but am now trying again. It related to Neil's Civ IV World Builder Manual. At the time of my original question, I was still using Win XP, but have since gone up to Win 7.

I had no trouble modding using the World Builder program built into the game. But performing advanced editing was, and still is, a brick wall to me. I am having trouble finding the location of <Install Directory>\Sid Meiers Civilization IV\PublicMaps\. I cannot find where this is located. And its probably something very simple, but somehow I am in the dark.

For one thing, I would love to change the characteristics of mountain squares, making them usable as in the previous Civ games. There are other things, but I find that I don't really like not being able to exploit this terrain square.

Could someone please tell me where to look for this? I really would appreciate it.

Thanks

<Install Directory> could be C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/ (Edit: if you're on Windows and have not installed the game through Steam)

Sid Meiers Civilization IV could be Sid Meier's Civilization 4!

PublicMaps is now also in the folder 'Beyond the Sword'.

For units to pass mountains, you have to change the tag <bCanMoveImpassable> to 1 for each of them (.../Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml). Better use a mod than change the original file. Yes, this is modding the original file, not just use World Builder.

For other purposes, it's a different story.

<Install Directory> could be C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/ (Edit: if you're on Windows and have not installed the game through Steam)

Sid Meiers Civilization IV could be Sid Meier's Civilization 4!

PublicMaps is now also in the folder 'Beyond the Sword'.

For units to pass mountains, you have to change the tag <bCanMoveImpassable> to 1 for each of them (.../Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml). Better use a mod than change the original file. Yes, this is modding the original file, not just use World Builder.

For other purposes, it's a different story.

First of all, I'm using a disc.

Secondly, I have looked through every crook and cranny within 'C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/'. Its not there. I don't know how many times I have tried that set of folders. Obviously it has to be located somewhere else. I'm still totally frustrated on this inability to edit things.

And I'll be totally honest from an overall perspective. I have owned Civ IV for some years now, but to me it is not the game many seem to love above all else.

I'm also a SouthPaw/Leftie, and Civ 3 was made to order for Lefties. I can use my mouse/touchpad with my left hand, and the 'enter' button with my right hand. Its so easy I can simply fly. with Civ IV, its like trying to run through syrup. Oh, the graphics are nice, and I am able to change the settings to just 'single unit graphics', but its still not as nice to play as Civ 3. I am really trying to love Civ IV, but its just not taking. From a user perspective, its a step backward.

These are the path to my Public Maps

C:\Games\Civ4\PublicMaps
C:\Games\Civ4\Warlords\PublicMaps
C:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps

You will note how I installed Civ 4. See my thread in my signature for instructions.

What you want to do is actually modding some of the XML files. When you start modding you really need to install as per my thread for full access to important files.

Firstly you need to create a new folder in ...\Mods\ called "MyMod" or whatever you want to call it. What you then do is copy the file you want to alter and place it in the same folder as per other mods you already have installed.

e.g. ...\mods\mymod\assets\XML\Terrain\

Also, please ask your modding questions in this thread below;
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351519

and in this forum

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

and be sure to read the tutorials in here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Follow the linky to the Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual!

Now that CivIV is on the way, I'm sure some folks are just itching to get in and start modding. So here is the first of a few (that I know of) manuals on how to mod CivIV. :)

Dale

Civ4 in-game World Builder Manual available here:
Civ IV World Builder Manual

In depth analysis of the WBS file available here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135669

IMPORTANT NOTE:
To enable the full features of the World Builder it is important you follow Soren's instructions. This will hopefully resolve all the issues encountered:

Looks nice..thanks! But can anyone share with me a text edit for mac?

Follow the linky to the Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual!

Now that CivIV is on the way, I'm sure some folks are just itching to get in and start modding. So here is the first of a few (that I know of) manuals on how to mod CivIV. :)

Dale

Civ4 in-game World Builder Manual available here:
Civ IV World Builder Manual

In depth analysis of the WBS file available here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135669

IMPORTANT NOTE:
To enable the full features of the World Builder it is important you follow Soren's instructions. This will hopefully resolve all the issues encountered:
The link to the WBM just brings me back to this page. Where can I find the WBManual?

Top Bottom