Graphics weirdness

sav

Prince
I see screenshots posted here that look magnificent. Then I look at my game, and wonder what went wrong.

(Can't post screenshot as I'm at work, but will later if so requested)

I know I'm operating at a low graphics level just to get it to run, but does anyone else find that makes the game a lot darker? Like, it's hard to tell at a glance what's desert and what's plains, etc, because the colours are all so muted and dull.

Not like screenshots I see here, where everything is so birght and shiny!

WHat am I doing wrong? Is there something I can tweak in the graphics to make it look livelier, without making my laptop catch on fire?

A bit more infos please ;), graphics card, operating system, etc.

If you're running the game in DX10/11 mode on Vista, and you've set anti-aliasing to high, then your game will noticable look worse than if you only set it to medium (explanation about background).

I have it DX9, 'cause I figure the higher the number, the less likely it is to run on my computer.

Here's my Civ5:

Spoiler :

Compared to what it looks like for everyone else:

Spoiler :

Is it just because I have the settings low? Do you see what I mean - it's darker, grungier, duller... I thought at least the colours would be the same.

Graphics card is ATI Radeon 3100.

Graphics card is ATI Radeon 3100.

Let's say it in this way: Do you have an idea how much you are under the minimum requirements?
Quite a bit ;). I guess some lightning effects are not working due to that, or that the card is just not able to handle all the effects :dunno:.

I would set everything to the max that you are allowed. I doubt it will change game speed that much. If that does not help then try turning off shadows.

I would set everything to the max that you are allowed. I doubt it will change game speed that much. If that does not help then try turning off shadows.

I guess I'll try that, though I fully expect the game to run at 2fps or explode my motherboard.

I don't understand why Civ needs such ridiculous graphics - Civ4 ran perfectly on the highest settings, and looks fine!

I guess I'll try that, though I fully expect the game to run at 2fps or explode my motherboard.

I don't understand why Civ needs such ridiculous graphics - Civ4 ran perfectly on the highest settings, and looks fine!

Some websites make my computer at work sound like a jet taking off. Maybe it is certain programming code.

Top Bottom