What Is Pitboss?

krasny

Prince
i ask this because i am kinda curious as to why people play PB to the exclusion of proper online CIV

I sure that you can find anything you need on forums, just need patient ;)

Shortly, pitboss is "better" for several reasons. Imagine that you play "regular" on-line game, with turn timer set on 24h, for example. So, you have whole day (even more, because turn timer goes slower than it should be) to play turn. Than, You don't heed to hurry with your turn. Just connect when can and play your turn. It means that you don't have to be on-line for 10+ hours until the game end. No, just 2-3 minutes per day... Also, THERE IS NO NEED TO ALL PLAYERS BE CONNECTED AT THE SAME TIME.
But, PB has it's own "dark side"- one game can last for more than a year. Yes, this is right, and it just because of slow turn timer. Usually, PB is started by a "accelerated start (AS)"- player agree to play first several turns normally, like regular on- line games. So, if they play 3-4 hours, game has to be shortly than without AS...
Search forum for more informations, but this could be a little help for You :)

thanks, that was very helpful

i shall avoid pitboss like the plague and try to start a regular online game

I have always considered Pitboss to be "Play by Email done correctly" - I don't really consider it comparable to a "normal" multiplayer game. If you don't like the idea of Play by Email (IE, one turn per day,) then you won't have any need for pitboss. :)

Well I hate PBEM, to much work to DL/Play/Send the save each time.
Pittbos is just right... just DL/play AND no -potential- problems with folks redoing their turn if they dont like the outcome. Do it once and thats it.

I have always considered Pitboss to be "Play by Email done correctly"

Absolutely :)

It's great for people who don't have the 3-4 hour time slots for online play but at a turn a day is far better than the pace of e-mail play. It also makes little difference how many players you have, with e-mail every extra player is more time per turn but with pitboss it makes little difference.
I've played pitboss games that started with from 6 to 32 players & with a bit of adjusting on the turn clock they all do a turn a day.

thanks, that was very helpful

i shall avoid pitboss like the plague and try to start a regular online game

??? I don't understand why - pitboss gives you the best of both worlds. You can play real-time when you have time, and you can keep going in PBEM mode when you don't...

??? I don't understand why - pitboss gives you the best of both worlds. You can play real-time when you have time, and you can keep going in PBEM mode when you don't...

Not really. There are a lot of people that don't want to play a game that takes months. It's also not great for quick "single sitting" games because you can't set the turn timer to less than 1 hour.

Pitboss is a great addition to the Civers toolbox and enhances the idea of PBEM and can be used for real time MP games with the understanding that everyone not take forever with there turns.

CS

Not really. There are a lot of people that don't want to play a game that takes months. It's also not great for quick "single sitting" games because you can't set the turn timer to less than 1 hour.

While I agree you can't finish a Pitboss game in one sitting (actually you could if you wanted to spend an entire day playing), it doesn't have to take months either. A few weeks is my experience. I also enjoy it much more than quick "speed chess" version of gameplay. You get to move ahead during real-time play, and then during the week, you make your turn or a few a day, and have a chance to take time and optimize your position.

Top Bottom