Civ4 PitBoss Available

I'm wondering if their is a password issue outside of the options one. I've had my password 'damaged' a number of times in my own game and a friends and I know I did not go into the options.

Strangely once I tried about 5 times and on the 5th time it let me in - very strange and its a very basic password (i.e not one easily typoed).

Be interested if others are experiencing password issues who haven't gone into game options (alt d or through the menu)

Tals

What could be quite neat - not sure how easy it would be to achieve but have the game produce an HTML page this page would show:

Current Players - which have submitted which haven't
Their scores
Current Game Turn
Turn to next one

I've been working on adding something like that. It should be pretty easy since all that info is exposed via the Python API in CyPitboss.

ensignyu said:
I've been working on adding something like that. It should be pretty easy since all that info is exposed via the Python API in CyPitboss.

Well if you get your features to work, email me the modded python files and I'll make sure it gets to the developers for review. They don't mind free programming help :p

CS

Wow, it's REALLY rough. This is the beta? Seems like there's a long way to go before it's actually ready to be used by Real People.

I mean, a dos box in the background? A back button that's not greyed out in the first page of the setup wizard. Asking me for some username/password so I can host a game when I've never set up an account anywhere and it doesn't allow me to create an account or even say where I can create one?

And now that I've set up an account, I can't host a game with it and also use it to play a character on my hosted server? ("this account is in use")

Ugh.

ccarollo said:
Wow, it's REALLY rough. This is the beta? Seems like there's a long way to go before it's actually ready to be used by Real People.

I mean, a dos box in the background? A back button that's not greyed out in the first page of the setup wizard. Asking me for some username/password so I can host a game when I've never set up an account anywhere and it doesn't allow me to create an account or even say where I can create one?

And now that I've set up an account, I can't host a game with it and also use it to play a character on my hosted server? ("this account is in use")

Ugh.

Yes there certainly needs to be a help menu and/or popup help over the fields and buttons. But this is a beta release for a reason. And if you are going to use a "internet" option then Pitboss must use up a login just like a normal MP game(which is were it's code roots are), but there's nothing keeping you from creating multiple accounts and using one just for pitboss, or you can use the DirectIP option which doesn't require a login.

CS

ccarollo said:

Ugh.

Are you doing it via the internet pitboss - not quite convinced that one will work - but be interested in peoples thoughts on that. The roughness, well its a server style app so I don't care if it remains rough as long as we get some of the more major issues out of the way.

Tals

ensignyu said:

That would be great - always happy todo any testing you want on it :)

It sort of works. Right now it just dumps an HTML file to disk, but potentially it could have a built-in webserver (easily done in Python) or auto-upload via FTP. It may not work properly on non-simultaneous turn games because I'm using an odd way of getting the player's turn state (on a related note, what the heck is CyPitboss().getReady() supposed to do, and is it broken?)

However, a big issue is that I have to replace PbAdmin.py in the Assets folder -- which will cause clients to complain that their files don't match the host's. It's a non-fatal error but could scare people away. That's why I'm asking that PbAdmin and PbWizard be somehow overrideable without screwing with Assets.

I'm not sure how that'd affect game security and OOS issues though. Well, we're still trying to figure out the passwording issues at any rate.

Actually, it might be interesting if there were explicit support for server-side mods, e.g. CustomServerAssets for non-UI multiplayer tweaks, preferably with support for multiple custom rulesets on multiple servers running on one machine, but that's a whole different issue.

I'm wondering if their is a password issue outside of the options one. I've had my password 'damaged' a number of times in my own game and a friends and I know I did not go into the options.

Strangely once I tried about 5 times and on the 5th time it let me in - very strange and its a very basic password (i.e not one easily typoed).

Be interested if others are experiencing password issues who haven't gone into game options (alt d or through the menu)

Tals

Yep, have that same thing. Tried all kinds of possible typos and even the MD5 hint found somewhere above, no chance. And even 10 tries didn't help. So a feature to clear the PWD server side would be nice to have.

But barring that, if I get kicked now, do I lose a turn if the AI takes over?

MaHoHo

First, a huge thanks to the folks developing this. I know our small Civ4 group can't wait to start using this.

I've downloaded it and started up a game and was able to goof off a bit. It looks good and seems to work pretty well. I'll be sure to report any bugs I find that haven't been mentioned. For a first release beta though, it looks much better than I expected.

Thanks again!

Jarnhestur

MaHoHo said:
Yep, have that same thing. Tried all kinds of possible typos and even the MD5 hint found somewhere above, no chance. And even 10 tries didn't help. So a feature to clear the PWD server side would be nice to have.

But barring that, if I get kicked now, do I lose a turn if the AI takes over?

MaHoHo

You do if you haven't done your turn that go yet - AI does the turn for you, so when you get back in you have lost your turn, which is the real pain tbh :( The password issue is a bug so in final i'm not expecting these type of issues, just hope the devs realise it is not restricted to the email aspect.

Tals

Finally, something I can't resist posting about... ;)

tals said:
You do if you haven't done your turn that go yet - AI does the turn for you, so when you get back in you have lost your turn, which is the real pain tbh :( The password issue is a bug so in final i'm not expecting these type of issues, just hope the devs realise it is not restricted to the email aspect.
Have you determined to what extent the AI takes action in an uplayed turn? Will it automate units that have no orders or just move things that are already automated? Will it make any tech or build decisions without actually kicking the player from the game?

I wouldn't expect anything to occur on an unplayed turn except for your queued orders.

Tals

tals said:
I wouldn't expect anything to occur on an unplayed turn except for your queued orders.

which would actually mean that the AI doesn't take over, but your turn is just skipped.

which is what brings me to my question: when you resign a game in PBEM (or any MP type afaik) the AI takes over properly. could this functionality not be used in pitboss - with the difference that you can get the control back again at any time?

is this intended by the developers or is it just a unfulfillable dream of mine?

I would agree - it would be useful to have an option for the AI to caretake your turns without having to effectively resign from a game (which can mean someone else can take over).

Tals

Exactly. If it can do that then it's worth going through the hassle of getting it set up on a machine etc. If not then I don't see the advantage of doing multi-player any other way.

KayEss said:
Exactly. If it can do that then it's worth going through the hassle of getting it set up on a machine etc. If not then I don't see the advantage of doing multi-player any other way.

I'm not sure what this is in response to - if it is regarding AI take over I see this as a good but fairly minor request.

The pitboss server is a small console style application to host long term MP games on a semi persistant basis. In terms of hassle it is easier to setup a pitboss game IMHO than a MP game in Civ.

Another for the enhancements list - ability whilst playing a civ game connected via Pitboss to see which other players are logged in - at the moment only the server controller knows. As chatting etc all works in realtime it would be useful.

Also anyone able to report how diplomacy works in pitboss?
How does chatting work - does it queue the messages - I suspect not.

Tals

sabrewolf said:
which is what brings me to my question: when you resign a game in PBEM (or any MP type afaik) the AI takes over properly. could this functionality not be used in pitboss - with the difference that you can get the control back again at any time?
I think this functionality is currently available- you need to have the PTBS admin 'kick' you from the application. You can then rejoin any time you are ready by simply logging in to your old spot prior to the next turn you want to play.

The question would be, could/should the individual player be able to initiate an AI replacement without going through the admin?

tals said:
Also anyone able to report how diplomacy works in pitboss?
How does chatting work - does it queue the messages - I suspect not.
logging in gives you chatlog access to the entire history of messages sent by the PTBS admin, but only tracks players' comments past the point of log in. IMO it would be crucial to have a full log tracked by Pitboss and available to the players...

Top Bottom