What is your favourite time in the game?

Atomic. I like it when the rush for victory starts happening and nukes get involved.

Modern, more specifically when all of the AI's hit the Modern Era. Once ideologies come into play all hell breaks lose and you really have to scramble for your victory; them damned commies just won't let me cruise to victory anymore, and frankly I like it that way. :)

My most favorite is exploring so I'm in that camp. I like finding out what kind of map I'm on. I too tend to quit when it's forgone I'm going to win (I used to prolong them just to play with the more advanced units but not anymore). I do enjoy the ocassional game that goes really long (I play epic). I just finally did a culture victory (G&K) but I could have wiped the other civs out long before I got the culture, I'm finally going for a space ship victory, but same problem I could wipe out the other civs ez now and I'm knocking them back to just one other to pass the time, but it does get a bit tedious all the same...still I want to see this victory type once before I get BNW.

I concur, and this is the only area that, IMO, civ fails at and has failed at since civ III. Yank, yank, yank, yank...

Okay, buddy, take that crap to the Civ V rants page, or better yet, go back to Civ III.

Anyhow, I tend to like the slip into the Industrial and Atomic eras, where the congress is progressing, and those rare times where I get to see them. I have my military established, and it's not as tedious as the earlier games.

My Favourite time of the game is the beginning when you have to think about those key strategies and find new places to found your cities, I find it much more exciting than the tedious end of the game especially in Vanilla.

My favorite time is when you first discover gunpowder. Especially if your the first one too, because then you can have your musket men shooting longswordsmen. And that is a wonderful feeling.

I concur, and this is the only area that, IMO, civ fails at and has failed at since civ III. Since those days (civ III vanilla, that is) the franchise has consistently provided the most exciting, entertaining, and thought-provoking game on the market, and a TBS game no less. Yet every single permutation in the last decade+ gives you a game that consists of two halves:

1/2:the most exhilarating adventure,as you build stronger armies and add multiplier upon multiplier to your exponentially stronger cities, carefully calculating build queue decisions and unit placements, and
1/2: the most tedious process of wrapping it up. Victory is usually decided and almost unavoidable hundreds of turns before it is reached,yet you still have to turn-click, skip moves, turn-click for hours on end. Finishing this game requires work ethic.

The process of creating a winning scenario is incredibly fun, but actually using it to win is incredibly tedious. So much so that someone with extraordinary patience could turn a pretty penny finishing other people's games for them. I may work with autistic children 60 hours a week, but I don't have that level of patience.

Seems the designers need to either A.) find a way to make the end-game as fun as the beginning, which I'm pretty sure has been a priority for some time but is as problematic as ever, or B.) have an auto-finish option. Seriously, around the mid-industrial era, have a pop-up that says, "I see where this is going" and auto-finish the game. It's kind of like the "retire" option, but that's more for losing; retiring is like admitting defeat in chess when you have only your king against king/knight/bishop: you're gonna lose, but you could pointlessly dance around the board for a couple hours until that VC is achieved.

Apologies for ranting at length, but as this is, IMO, the best game on the market, and every few years they release a new, even better version, yet every version has just one downside, the SAME downside year after year, and this forum discusses that franchise, it seems appropriate.

I agree. I rarely ever finish a Civ game because of this. Once the victory is clear, I have no desire to go on. It's like a basketball game that you're winning by 50 at halftime. The game is done, why go on?. However, if the game is not done and my victory is not clear, I go on until it is. Thankfully that happened in some of my Civ V games.

Late game. Love the units. Such a nice feeling unleashing destruction with missile cruisers and stealth bombers

Late Medieval to the Industrial era for me. Not only in the game, but also IRL, this is where warfare changed so drastically during just a couple of centuries. It really becomes a race for techs, who can grab Muskets or Rifles before everybody else? Who will build Notre Dame or the Forbidden Palace?
I also feel the wonders of this era are the strongest and most important in the game.

Top Bottom