Favorite CivRev Civ?

What is your favorite civ in CivRev?

• Total voters

Stonecutter9

Rex Michiganensis
This is simply a poll on which civ in CivRev you enjoy playing as the most, so enjoy, and vote! Discuss below if you have additional comments.

I like the Romans because of all of their benefits..

The mongolian obviously. When playing as them, the AI once declared war on me because my armies were too powerful(yes, that was their excuse). It's just too fun to spawn Keshiks.

The mongolian obviously. When playing as them, the AI once declared war on me because my armies were too powerful(yes, that was their excuse). It's just too fun to spawn Keshiks.

Don't forget the 'captured barbarian cities join us' benefit' :lol:

Barbarians, I am your new master! :whipped: :king:

Japanese by far. Their tech potency is unmatched, plus, they have the Samurai that can be used far into the game if you get galleon or cruiser fleets to help with naval support.

The Indians are probably my favorite, no anarchy is great especially when you tack on 2nd era ability of fundamentalism, legion army's will take down most cities depending on how many you bring at an attack at 13.5 with fundamentalism and 18 on hill. then half cost settlers make for great mass expansion in third era witch can give you a massive advantage. Then there is half cost courthouses witch is an ok bonus in general, not a massive game changer depending on your location I suppose.

Japan, the +1 food from sea regions usually gets me cities with a high production and trade output, usually not even having a regular food tile in the vicinity, works great on islands as well.

Samurai Knights are very effective, and can even take out Riflemen in the right cases, cities not being affected by anarchy allows me to switch government from Democracy whenever I need to take out some one with ease.

Mongolians. The "barbs join" perk is fantastic. With a bit of attention, I'm always the biggest civ (number of cities and their size) right from the start. Then when the extra mountain production kicks in, off I go.

honestly i am bit bored with the same old civs. The game is in serious need of a few fresh faces, like maybe a viking civ called the Scandinavians, or the Dutch and Portuguese they rivaled England and France in the middle of the 2nd millenia, and how about Israel?
Anything new would be nice.. also i find it ironic that Hitler and Stalin are deemed to evil to be used in the game but a vicious barbaric emperor like Genghis Khan who raped and slaughtered almost all of Eurasia in the dark ages is perfectly fine. I guess time heals all wounds, theres a possibility that in 500 years or so Hitler and Stalin will be playable in a civ game.

ah i see, excuse my ignorance, I am a 21st century civ noob with mobile devices only. Being on this site makes me want to go out and get one of those big bulky machines! Im missing out on the real game, thanks for the info!

No love for the Chinese or the Zulu? Chinese is amazing because of the early pop boost which can focus on more pop = more science. Zulu for early Impi storm. Rome because of starting with republic and spamming spots. HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE MONGOLIA??? The city spots are terrible, and hardly produce anything. Literally the only Civ I haven't won every VC with

I love my Aztecs. Instant warrior for an early start, followed by warmongering horseman armies to exterminate at least one neighbor. I love to build my 2nd city (free settler) on a hill right next to enemy headquarters with an appropriate name like "&%#@ Spain" or "DIE FRANCE DIE", then make a long road back home and pump out units. Instant healing is just absurd for attackers or spies...thanks for donating all your great people and cash! Once you hit Medieval times, temples and libraries double up for science domination. On King I had domination before 1000 B.C.; my first deity game with them was a joke. After that you hit Industrial and build roads everywhere, followed by the modern era where the +50% cash stacks with Marco Polo, markets and banks on my island cash registers. Beeline to combustion and steel and buy factories, tanks, and battleships until everybody is smoking rubble. Or leave one capital, nuke it, and make a nice spaceship or World Bank.

Exactly. Aztecs got broken abilities throughout every era and every major aspect of this game. Military, science, culture, gold.

Free gold at start. You can either buy a Warrior, or try your luck with huts and try to hit your first economic milestone to get a free settler.

Instant heal applies to every unit. In contrast, other civs have abilities for one type of unit. It's so powerful that a single rifleman can defend against an entire army. Another way to look at it is how many hammers it saves you from having to build more units. That means leaving more hammers and turns for buildings and wonders. This is great for OCC where production is very limited and you can't spend too much time to build defense.

Temples double as culture and science. You expand early with culture, then speed up mid-game with techs. Without lifting a finger. In contrast, other civs get a free tech, and that's it. Temple are long term and last a long time, thus giving you great value over the course of the game.

And gold endgame, you can buy anything with all that gold. For instance, you can rush a stack of rifleman instantly, every turn. +50% gold bonus also makes them IMO the best civ for economic victory, even in OCC.

No love for the Chinese or the Zulu? Chinese is amazing because of the early pop boost which can focus on more pop = more science. Zulu for early Impi storm. Rome because of starting with republic and spamming spots. HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE MONGOLIA??? The city spots are terrible, and hardly produce anything. Literally the only Civ I haven't won every VC with

Most of people doesn't love the Zulu because they are too much Over Powered, also it's hard to make any other victories since most of their bonuses are military.

Rome for culture, japan for everything else.
Mongolia's barbs are awesome but u don't get the resources underneath the barb camps making for wasted city potential, then again the more cities even crap ones you have the more units and science

Some of my favourites such as Mongolia and Japan has already been named, so I will go with an underrated one: The Germans!

- Veteran warriors means very easy early rushes and smooth transition into legions
- Auto-upgrades for elite units means that once you got your first elite catapults rolling, you're basically unstoppable for the next of the game
- And sweet, sweet forest bonus production to boot, which can easily turn into more culture or more armies

It is a very well-rounded civ, and it matches a lot with my cultural / military playstile

It was really hard for me to pick one. I really do like most of the civs, even among what I consider the "most fun" civs there's not just one. I pretty much dislike only the French (cause they suck), the Zulu (because they are boring, Impi tactics every time) and the Russians (because they have such weak bonuses, still better than the French but there's not really anything the leverage other than the map). I'm also not too keen on the Germans either because like the Zulu they are fairly pigeonholed in how to use them (abusing the unit upgrades) unless you want to ignore their meaningful advantage.

I ending up voting Chinese because they are definitely strong (better than all but the Americans, in fact) but aren't completely broken and I like the way their bonuses synergize so well.

Note that a lot of my opinions might be affected by the fact I only play Deity, random civ.

-Chinese has +1 pop out the gate. Huge advantage. Free Writing means you can get CoL faster than anybody but Rome, free Literacy means you don't have to tech it directly and can still get the 1st research bonus at 5 techs. China is always powerful and a has a crazy headstart on tech so they can do well in any situation or use any general strat (like horserush or oxford bombers) very effectively. Libraries are so cheap so early you can actually justify building them for once (even the Engineering bonus can do it in just 20 turns), further cementing them as the true tech juggernaut of the game, not Japan.

-America, because well, 'murica. They are stupidly OP though, so didn't vote for them. It's straight up impossible to lose as America against the AI even if you don't try...just go gold and unit spam yo. You can win any game, any victory type with the Americans faster than anybody else. That's the power of settler spam at 1/3 cost.

-Mongols are always fun, games are always dynamic because of the hut thing and mountain bonus is nasty as it kicks in right around Knights. 3-move Knights being pumped constantly from any city with a couple mountains can flat out overwhelm the other civs with pure macro power.

-Japan's free harbor bonus from games start is my favorite passive bonus, as any city can grow working only water. I always seem to do much better with almost any other civ though, and the Americans/Chinese absolutely leave them in the dust in terms of teching power. I never even notice the Knight bonus, the anarchy bonus is too late to matter, and while free loyalty is indeed nice, it's not exactly a powerful bonus to be leveraged unless you plan to be attacked a lot before you can make defensive armies...

-Aztecs healing bonus is almost as broken as the American rush bonus, making their horserushes incredibly successful, and any defenders impregnable to mass attacks. Almost as strong... Well, not even close actually, but they don't have much else going for them so it might as well be powerful. The starting gold is good for a walk in but hardly much else besides shaving a few turn exploring, +3 science on a temple is useless as temples are useless (build 2 settlers instead = BAM at least 8 science no matter the era with proper settling, and can grow to more later) and I guess a lot of people don't realize this, but the extra gold bonus actually makes your units and buildings cost more to rush as well, meaning the only thing it does is get milestones faster and makes it harder to rush expensive things like wonders....

-Spanish are really cool for the exploration gold and immediate Whale access, as Navigation is usually kind of a back burner tech for most games (you're more concerned with expansion first). They also have a sick Galleon fleet + Legion strategy that is freaking awesome when you can pull it off. Their other bonuses are kind of meh.

-The English are the best "sit there and turtle, go win with high tech" civ in the game. I mean, even the AI is a notorious turtle. Immediate access to Dye is cool if you can find it to settle on initially, as it makes a horserush or CoL come a few turns faster with even one Dye. Pikemen-strength archers mean you can control the entire map for half the game or more by just spamming cheap units that are extremely hard to dislodge, they have the fastest Knight rush in the game and their double naval support is devastating, especially combined with the Knight rush. Cruiser fleet + Knight armies will take down almost anything, you don't even need to go to tanks for any reason. The English have no weak points in my book, but they can be out teched by better civs.

-Rome starting with CoL means alternate tech openings and way fast expansion (pretty much only the Mongols can get as many cities as early, though all are eclipsed by America later), and the wonder bonus means you might build a lot of them for milestones and actually go for early cultural victory for once. They also have this strat where they spam early cities+roads and just overwhelm with Legions, but it's not exactly as fast or effective as a horserush anyway so...

-I like the Indians pretty much purely for their resource access bonus. It lets you delay getting certain techs (BW, Navigation, Monarchy) just to access useful resources, and can shave turns off horserushes with the right ones. Free Fundy at 5 techs also adds potency to horserushes, but Legions are a bad idea in my experience unless you can also nab Navigation. In which case, you'd have mathematics and catapults already, which are a much better option than legions still. The settler bonus is pretty pointless as all your major expansion should be done by then (you should be nearing Democracy at 14 techs or ending the game in Fundy without expanding much) and at that point anyone can expand further easily anyway (any 4 pop city cna make its own settler in 5 turns). Cheap courthouses are basically useless, like most other buldings...

-I like the Arabs for the fast catapult rush. Then there's the obvious Fundy warrior armies and super-powered horsemen/knight stuff, but those aren't as fun.

-Egypt's okay with Colossus or HGB start. Without either, not so much. Desert bonus is cool and all but unlike Japan, desert is much less abundant than water. The starting wonder and desert bonus are literally the only good things about them, so getting screwed on the wonder half is pretty much like playing Russia. Which is fine, but boring.

-Greeks are kind of oddballs, but can turn into a later game tech powerhouse. The early Democracy keeps you safe and gets you to CoL to expand faster, but they are overall the most conflicted civ which makes them somewhat micromanagement intensive. You have to manage swapping govt. at the right time in the early game, their GP bonus doesn't even work in Democracy unless you are a fool who builds things like temples, the library bonus is nice but later than China's so China has the clear tech advantage with earlier cheap libraries + an extra pop per city +a fast path to Democracy anyway, and the food on water bonus is weaker than Japan's because it comes so late. Etc. Etc.

Top Bottom