Quick Questions and Answers

What's the difference between Great Plains and Great Plains Plus? Which one has better starts on it?
The Plus maps use extra scripting for the CS placement. So the CS get clumped and have modestly better terrain for themselves. Great Plains maps have four edges (no wrapping) and for GPP, the CS tend to be more along the edges. The Plus scripts will provide a little more room early, for both the player and AI. The Plus scripts also make an early CS worker steal more difficulty (since the CS are more remote). The fertility of both maps is the same. For some players, more initial space means a better start. Other players really struggle with the Plus script because they depend on the worker steal as well as the early gold and other buffs.

GPP is probably a bit better because it spawns Salt and it might have more luxuries in total, GP only uses vanilla luxuries I think.
Both scripts have the same chances for Salt, the same amount of luxes in total, and the same type and range of luxes. It is not uncommon for any one particular map to not provide every lux and bonus resources. Every map with have all the strategic resources. You will not get CS quests for luxes that are not available on a particular map.

I've never seen Salt on normal Great Plains, yet it always spawns on GPP.

I've never seen Salt on normal Great Plains, yet it always spawns on GPP.

Agree

Also,
Great Plains PLUS only has North American Natural Wonders (Old Faithful, Grand Mesa, Barringer Crater)

-

An AI notices my troops near his borders and I assure him they're just passing through the area. How many turns must pass before I can declare war without a diplo penalty?

An AI notices my troops near his borders and I assure him they're just passing through the area. How many turns must pass before I can declare war without a diplo penalty?
It is a very long time, I am not sure about turns. However you will get a notification "you kept your promise... "

Sent from my ZP951 using Tapatalk

It is a very long time, I am not sure about turns. However you will get a notification "you kept your promise... "
It may be a very long time, or it may be it based where your units actually move to. No one has figured it out AFAIK. And there is no such notification. You get those for not buying tiles or not planting a city.

Yeah, if I plan to attack I just declare war when I get that notification.
I'd rather have a bad start in the war than face the diplo penalty with all the world.

I try to keep less than 3 units visible near or in the AI's land.

Another strategy would be to make the AI declare war. But that is unlikely to work if you have a stronger force.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for when to go for the gold medal on world's fair? Like, what % is usually needed to win. Also, do AI's ever contribute until silver (or bronze I guess) is secure and then stop contributing (meaning I may have more time than it appears)?

Current game is quick speed/standard map 8 civs. If I understand correctly, this means total hammers needed is 350 * 0.67 * 8 = 1876. It's currently 63% complete and I have contributed 387 and as it stands am contributing 112 per turn (I could increase this to about 180 at some cost to other key builds). Silver medal is secure (yes, I meant to review the situation on the previous turn but remembered that a faction of a second after ending the turn :sad:) but should I now continue or switch to other builds?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't switch.
Unless you want to deny other civilizations the silver bonus, you should make sure to contribute 40 to 50% before switching to other builds.
From what I've seen the AIs do not switch to other builds, the percentage goes away faster and faster.

I usually leave cities to finish their current build before switching to the fair.
But if I get the 33% completed notification and haven't started putting enough hammers into the project I go on red alert and contribute as much as I can until gold is secured.

If I contribute to the project from turn 1 I can afford to leave one or two cities to build wonders.

So to recap...
- if you have good production you can postpone starting to work on the project until 33% is gone
- if you already have 40-50% of the entire project you can safely switch to other builds, but denying other civs the silver medal might be worth it

I just put all of my cities on working this, then they finish it relatively fast and hopefully deny the AI some perks. (I have usually 3 non-puppet cities)

Sent from my ZP951 using Tapatalk

I contribute to the project from turn 1 I can afford to leave one or two cities to build wonders.

So to recap...
- if you have good production you can postpone starting to work on the project until 33% is gone
- if you already have 40-50% of the entire project you can safely switch to other builds, but denying other civs the silver medal might be worth it

It depends a lot of difficulty levels. If it's below Immortals, you can afford to build wonders and other key buildings while doing WF. Otherwise you need to put most or all hammers into the project. On deity, you need to start it immediately when it's passed, work more hammer tiles than usual, and sometimes you even need to have hammer trade routes. It helps if you can get Chemistry if possible. If you have 4 city tradition, still it is possible to lose gold medal on deity but it isn't that common if you actually used all hammers.

Hi there,

New to the CIV franchise, mised it in my childhood. Just finished playing SMAX and loved it and ready to jump into Civ, figuring I would just start at CIV 5 (may go back to 4 later)

I got CIV 5, complete edition on a Steam sale and would like to start with the best mod experience. I was looking at the threads and saw the following:
1 - Community Patch
2 - Community Balance
3 - Community Expansion

And then I saw a reference to Community Balance Overhaul....

As the game has been around for a while, are some of these references obsolete? Should I be installing the Community Patch:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034

or just the community patch modpack?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=553187

Others that interested me were R.E.D., prehistoric mod and City Limits but I can live without if there will be issues. Any others I should consider for the best launch into the series?

Thanks, appreciate the guidance

Can I upgrade my military units on a territory of another civ, if I have open borders with that civ? Do I have to have declaration of friendship in addition to that?
Can I upgrade my units on a city-state's territory? Do I have to be their ally or just a friend is enough?
Thank you!

You can only upgrade units in your own territory.

In friendly territory (CS friends or ally; major civ with open borders), you get the friendly territory healing bonus and can get the Optics embarkation promotion. No DOF required.

Does Venice free Merchant from Optics increase the cost of the of getting a great person? (scientist, engineer)

If so, it might be worth getting a quick GL and Oracle for a scientist.

Playing G&K.
If you have the godess of festivals pantheon (+1 faith/culture on wine/incense) and then choose monasteries (2 culture/faith +1 culture/faith for wine/incense) for follower belief does the +1 culture/faith for wine/incense from the pantheon stack with monasteries ending up with +2 culture/faith for each wine/incense tile worked. Or do you lose the +1 culture/faith for wine/incense from the pantheon once the city becomes religious thus ending up with 2 culture/faith plus one each for each wine/incense???

They totally stack.

The really funny situation is when you have the policy Religious tolerance and the city has your dominant religion and a few remaining pantheon followers.

That's when you get 3 faith/culture from each resource with a monastery.
Of course that is short lived, the pantheon followers eventually going away.

They totally stack.

The really funny situation is when you have the policy Religious tolerance and the city has your dominant religion and a few remaining pantheon followers.

So if i am reading you correctly once the entire population is following the religion in the city the pantheon disappears? That's too bad.

Your religion includes the pantheon bonus.
I was just describing a weird situation where you can get the pantheon bonus twice.

They totally stack.

This actually works the other way around. You need your city to not have any religion (just the pantheon that you get in all cities before founding a religion), and have some followers of your religion in that city. Then Religious Tolerance will give you "the Pantheon belief bonus of the second most popular religion", which in this case is your religion, and you get a double pantheon bonus (but don't get the other bonuses of your religion yet since the religion is not the majority in that city).

So in this scenario you will never get 3 faith + 3 culture for a wine or incense tile since you cannot buy the monastery until you get the religion, and if you have a religion you lose the side effect that Religious Tolerance has.

Top Bottom