Can captured MoVs be used for CS puppeting?

blackcatatonic

Queen of Meme
I ask because in my current game, Indonesia has managed to acquire himself an MoV, which I assume he captured since he's been at war with Venice.

He moved it to within the borders of Buenos Aires and it's just been sat there for about 20 turns.

Is it actually possible to puppet CSS with captured MoVs, or is he just bimbling about with it in the usual confused way the AI handles unit pathing?

YOU CANNOT CAPTURE GREAT PEOPLE. They just die. You have to be gifted them via a CS or earn them yourself (obviously impossible with MoVs)

I understand that you cannot normally capture Great People, but I was wondering if they made an exception for the Merchant of Venice, since I didn't think it was possible for CSS to gift the UU of a Civ that's in the game (and Venice manifestly are in my current game).

I understand that you cannot normally capture Great People, but I was wondering if they made an exception for the Merchant of Venice, since I didn't think it was possible for CSS to gift the UU of a Civ that's in the game (and Venice manifestly are in my current game).

The rule about CSs only gifting UUs that belong to civs not present only applies to Militaristic CS and the typical land unit UUs. It does not apply to the Great Persons gifted due to the Patronage finisher. So you can get a MoV in a game with Venice or a Khan in a game with Mongolia.

I can confirm that I got a Merchant of Venice as Poland with the Patronage finisher. I was very surprised when it appeared. It also let me capture a city-state for free.

Top Bottom