New Official Arriving / leaving / introduction thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the cursing here:
I have seen numerous people use the "a-word"(can't believe I''m saying this lol)...

Well, not every post is seen by a moderator. If you find something offensive in a post, report it.

Well, I'm back from ASEF (Alabama Science and Engineering Fair), in case anyone noticed my absence. Got second place in my category (behavioral/social science). :)

Yay! Was there a prize?

I havn't been around, and I probably won't be around, much here anymore.

Reason being, I find it boring. I guess I got burnt out on discussing and reading discussions regarding how illogical god is, how stupid bush is, and how wrong the war in iraq is.

You should try looking at some other threads then ;). I mostly ignore those threads and i still have fun :p.

WillJ said:
A nice little ribbon and $75. :)
What was your project about?

Aphex_Twin said:
What was your project about?
Here's my abstract:

In this project, I sought to find out if gender is relevant to the decision making process involved in contributions to the public good. To test this, I recruited three classes of high school students. In the experiment, I told the participants that each was being given $2.50 to start the test. Each person could decide how much of this money he/she would like to keep and how much he/she would like to contribute to the group. Any money contributed to the group would be doubled and then distributed among everyone in the group equally.

The nature of this experiment is such that it is in the self-interest of each participant to keep all of his/her money, but in the interests of the group as a whole for everyone to contribute all of their money. The experiment is thus an illustration of the tragedy of the commons, a collective version of the prisoner’s dilemma. This experiment seeks to find out how gender is related to this phenomenon, and to find out if standard economic theory or sociological theories taking into account altruism and social norms are true.

In my experiment females contributed an average of $1.42, males $1.00. I was thus able to confirm my hypothesis with 92% confidence: females on average contribute more than males to the public good when faced with a situation resembling the tragedy of the commons. Social norms seem to offset standard economic theory, and some traditional gender differences remain to this day.

[Important details left out of the abstract for length considerations were that the people couldn't communicate with each other, no money was given until it was calculated how much each person finally deserved (thus there was no issue of people not giving money out of the fear of not getting back their fair share), and there were two groups---one of 27 people and one of 22---and they were all told they were in a group of 30 people.]

@WIllj

It sounds quite interesting. Can you post the article in a thread?

Aphex_Twin said:
@WIllj

It sounds quite interesting. Can you post the article in a thread?
Thank you, and will do. We (and others) can discuss it there if you want. I'm interested in continuing it next year, thus am open to suggestions of improvements and stuff.

I guess it would be too expensive, but it would be interesting to see how the percentage donation changes as the initial amount given increases.

Checkmate’s call ends the game;
Posting here won’t be the same;
Head and shoulders above the rest,
Stratego’s posts were the best.
:hatsoff:

Birdjaguar said:
Checkmate’s call ends the game;
Posting here won’t be the same;
Head and shoulders above the rest,
Stratego’s posts were the best.
:hatsoff:
I may not be religious, but that deserves and "Amen", brother.

Hopefully he'll still post on his blog. I love(d) stratego's wit.

EDIT: So you guys got a PM too, huh?

Keirador said:
What happened to stratego?

He left the forum. Infact, I got a message from him saying he was going. Here it is

stratego said:
If you received this message, you are one of the few that I considered to be outstanding posters of CFC. I can no longer post here on CFC, but I wish you all good luck, and to let you know my appreciation.

Some of you, I have openly praised. Some I have consistently disagree with. And some whom I have just quietly read. If I have praised you, I was sincere. If I have insulted you, I was just joking. Maybe some of you dislike me, well, I don't dislike you.

Good Luck

He left.

EDIT: Yeah, I got a PM too, but mine was in a different group, that's why I was surprised that 1. Perfection and Birdjaguar did and 2. Keirador didn't. I didn't know there was a limit to 5 People a PM.

Syterion said:
Hopefully he'll still post on his blog. I love(d) stratego's wit.

EDIT: So you guys got a PM too, huh?
Yup. It's a shame. His posts (and fake articles) were always funny (and usually insightful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom