First BNW victory?

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
What is/was your first BNW victory and how did you achieve it? Brazil, culture victory, on Warlord (yes, I'm not the greatest player!) I did find it quite a straightforward affair, against four other players on a pangea. Procuring wonders such as Chichen Itza and the Taj Mahal were useful; I really like the theming bonuses and curating the great works - again, those extra few tourism points came in really useful when matching up the great works together.

I must say, they've done a wonderful job with this expansion (and thank-you to my nephew, whose visit from Toronto yesterday with BNW already loaded on his laptop gave me something to do as he went off to visit other members of the family ;) - well timed!!)

Just posted in another thread about it, but I won a culture victory as Poland on standard continents. Got my own continent so I missed out on a big part of the early game meet and greet and trading. Kind of sad but I used it as a chance to push culture and religion hard without many threats. Solidarity leaves a great feeling when you can tech into a new era right as you get another social policy. Feels like the policy trees just fly by. Maxed out the ideology tree easily.

I wish there was a way to trade with landlocked civs after flight or something. I had 7/8 civs influenced relatively easily but since Morocco was landlocked I had to wait an extra 100+ turns to convert them with the help of the Olympics. Still, new culture victory is great and I'll definitely try it out again soon. I think I can make a much quicker game of it if I actually have some civs on my continent next time!

My first victory was a Pangaea Diplomacy victory as Theodora. Using papal primacy tithe and reformation belief charitable donations every city state was my best friend and I owned the world congress.

Haven't played yet. I will start a Prince game to fiddle with the mechanics and get my rust off. Probably random civ but I really hope I luck one of the new ones.

difficulty 4 diplomatic victory with France after everyone tried screwing me over.(they banned my main export for half the game)

Venice - I didn't play it out but I would have won a diplo. I was swimming in gold, so I had every CS that was left bought and paid for.

The North...beating back the rebels in the War of Southern Aggression!

Indonesia on a Continents map via culture vs all the other new civs. I just winged it and that's what ended up being the most feasible. it was exciting trying all the new stuff at once. it's almost like playing a different game!

As the Shoshone, allied with Assyria but then backstabbing them as they ran over Brazil and almost the Indonesians. I was going for diplomatic but ended up doing cultural. Poland was not only a warmonger on his continent, but he was also strong in culture. After 407 turns, I had sent two concerts to his land and won the game.

Cultural victory as Morocco, on Prince, on a large continents map, set the AI to only be the new civs.

I was getting ~200 gpt by 1000 AD from Petra+Trade routes.

Poland on Earth, Standard, Emperor. Treaty Organization and Solidarity let me choose which VC I wanted between Science, Culture and Diplomatic. I ended up with Science.

Poland on King, Small Continents, with all the new Civs minus Zulu.

I somehow got a Cultural victory without even trying or really having any idea what I was doing, or how the tourism value is calculated. I was working on building the spaceship when all of the sudden over the course of 10 turns I was suddenly forcing my blue jeans on 3 other civs. Took about 15 turns to get the other 2. I can't emphasis enough how I wasn't even attempting to do this, it completely took me by surprise.

Probably helps that I took out Brazil's capital about halfway through the Renaissance period.

Culture on king with Shoshone
Got all the Late Wonders, and for the first time EVER, I reached the the Information Age and did not get Satellites and Rocketry! Went straight for Internet and my Tourism ballooned to over 1000TPT!! It only took 4 turns after that to win :)

I finished my first BNW game yesterday. I was playing with Greece on Prince, continents, huge map with Quick speed. Unfortunately, I was disappointed about this game, the game ending was just horrible as it was so boring, throughout the game I felt the AI passiveness as others say, there were only three wars, from which two of them I made, the third between AIs was just ridicilous, nothing happened. It was the most boring game I ever had, but at least now I know how new Diplomatic system works, which was really the aim of this first game. Though did not really understood the new culture system, was a bit lazy to elaborate on that.

After trying my usual methods as Gandhi on earth, huge, deity or above and losing several times, I tried Poland on King, earth huge 8 computer civs and 14 CS, and was aiming for a cultural victory when I happened to win a space race. I love the new civs, new wonders and trade routes. And it was nice not playing Gandhi for a change as I started playing as him several versions of civ ago just so I wouldn't have to face him.

I was Brazil, on Prince (typically play king/emperor for reasonable challenge) and went for cultural victory. I understood the system worse than I thought and didn't game enough modifiers for myself, and Dido was also going to cultural vic - I switched to Diplomatic and won during the last 20 turns.

Greece, diplomatic victory, king, standard settings, continents.

I really want to try a cultural victory next.

Shoshone, diplomatic, emperor. Very peaceful game for me with six early cities. AIs got in each others throats by the end-game and I was never threatened by anything.

Brazil, Prince (Had worked up to King in G&K), Continents, Culture Victory.

I really wanted to try out the tourism & culture side of things. I liked archaeology. Brazilwood Camps were very nice. Started on a continent with Iroquois and America. Started peacefully, but eventually America DOWed me, so I fought him back and took Boston, New York, and Washington. Iroquois were peaceful throughout, although they controlled the World Congress for most of the game. The International Games is what really finished off the victory for me. Won before reaching the Internet, although teching was very slow because I didn't realize number of cities slows it down now. Finished close to 2000 AD.

Top Bottom