Anonymous Donor Gives $100,000,000

Godwynn

March to the Sea

CNN

ERIE, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Mike Batchelor invited the heads of 46 charities into his downtown office for one-on-one meetings to personally deliver the news. Nearby, on a small table, sat a box of tissues.

And then he proceeded: A donor had given a staggering $100 million to the Erie Community Foundation, and all of the charities would receive a share.

That was when the tears began to flow -- and the mystery began -- in this struggling old industrial city of 102,000 on Lake Erie, where the donor is known only as "Anonymous Friend."

Batchelor, president of the Erie Community Foundation, has been sworn to secrecy and will allow only that the donor worked with the organization for years to identify deserving recipients before the announcement over the summer.

Is the donor dead or alive? No comment, Batchelor says. What is the donor's connection to Erie? No comment.

The talk about the gift has taken an interesting turn in recent weeks. As much as everyone here would like to know their benefactor's identity, many are also reluctant to pry.

Good feeling story for the day. :)

warms my heart :)

what an attention whore this guy must just love how every body wants to know who he is:rolleyes:
Spoiler :
ok, seriously this is great i just know somebody wasnt going to criticize this guy or be negative and i wantd to beat them to it, great story:goodjob:

10$ that money is either from drugs, blood or prostitution. Something to ease a guilty conscience of someone.

10$ that money is either from drugs, blood or prostitution. Something to ease a guilty conscience of someone.

I didn't think of that, at first. Still, for all we know, it could have been in the will.

I wonder what $100 million can do in the right hands, and I wonder why the donor thought that that community needed the charity?

what about the charities in the town that were not picked? on the one hand, i bet they feel jaded, and on the other, will they lose credibility? "I'm sorry, but your exclusion from this donation brings into doubt your operating procedures. we will not be renewing our gift this year."

i do, however, think it's great someone would do this, let alone anonymously.

makes me think of that movie : After the Wedding (Efter brylluppet) by Susanne Bier

Excellent movie I cried like 10 times. and i never cried in a movie before...

And what are they going to do with it? How much is going to be in... ahem, "administrative costs?"

I don't think somebody is going to trust 100 million bucks to a poorly run charity group. A lot of people seem to think that this donar has ties to the Erie community, he should know if they would be able to adminsiter it well.

Its great news. They need help badly.

Maybe it was Bill Gates. He was clearning out his pocket change before laundry and thought "ah, what the heck!"

Top Bottom