Food, Describe your local fare, what is unique to your town,region area.

gr8ful wes

Deity
'Tis the season to feast heartily. I just heard a neat little bit on NPR this morning about black eyed peas and rice (I forgot the name of the dish, was it Jumpin' john?) I love food, especially ethnic or regional food. What are some of the treats from your area that folks on the board may not be aware of but everyone at home eats? Or what are the typical foods that are associated with your area?

Here in Central PA most folks have had experiences with Scrapple(although few admit it) Scrapple is pig parts (all pig parts) boiled down into a gelatenous mold, spiced, sliced, fried and served with syrup, usually for breakfast. Old timers would often eat it with corn meal mush(also molded, sliced, fried and sweetened.):D

anyway that is just a taste of some of our local fare here. More later. Describe some of your favorites, or ones you dont quite understand.:) (include your region too, please)

Ulster fry :D

Which is fried:
2 Bacon Rashers
2 Sausages
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Beans
Soda Bread
Potato Bread
2 Eggs

Often refered to as "Heart Attack on a Plate" ;)

Faggots: ground liver in casings boiled in Beer and served with onions, yes, they really are called Faggots.

There is a local MiddleEastern/Indian restaurant in my neighborhood (Kebab Factory) that has an all-you-can-eat (for only $6! :thumbsup: ) special everyday from 11AM-11PM. I love this place! They have different stuff everyday. My favorites are butter chicken, some spicy chick-pea, bean dish they have, some spicy vegtable dish they have (yeah I really should remember the names, huh?) and their delicious rice pudding (I'm not supposed to have it cause it has milk in it, but its soooo good!). They also have free bread (naan bread, excellent), rice and salad along with their five or six regular dishes.

Plus the guys who work there are very friendly, especially cause they know I'm a regular.

- Narz :king:

I live in the area known for handmade, wheat flour tortillas. For $2.50 you get a 14" tortilla and your choice of a meat, and two sides. Salsa in cups on the side. This off a food service truck.

The last few days I've had grilled steak strips, monerey cheese, Onions and peppers. From what I hear, it's a Philly steak sandwich in a wrap. With hot sauce. No body does "wraps" around here. Its something you hear about from the coast. Here its anything on a flour tortilla, and they call it a burrito.

Among the Czech derived residents there is a bread, either sweet or meat, called a Kolache. I like them too.

J

Gotta Love Poutine which is fries with gravy and melted cheeses it french canadian i think

Where I live, the local fare is farm food. High caloric, and heavy on the carbohydrates and protien. Meat and potatoes stuff.

Example: "The Haystack," which is a breakfast dish of hash browns on top of scrambled eggs, a hamburger or sausage patty, and covered with gravy. Artery-clogging good!

Here in Baltimore, the local delicacy of choice are Chesapeake Bay blue crabs. Not being native to this area, I was a little bit creeped out when I witnessed my first crab feast. Crabs are small creatures, covered with a hard shell. They are a b!tch to take apart, and have very little meat on them. Crab feasts aren't really for eating, though. They're just an excuse to get together with friends, drink beer, and get disgusting.

Like Mojotronica, I'm on the Pacific. We have a fishery here in BC, but our diet is much influenced by the bulk of North America, so most seafood goes to export.

Something I do see a lot of that is rare or unheard of elsewhere, is salad. It consists of leaves of many shapes and colours, ripped into shreds and piled into a bowl, usually with a kind of cold sauce poured upon it. We eat this salad with a fork, and it does us no harm, at least.

Regional food for the Bremen area is for example so-called "Kohl und Pinkel", whereas Kohl means cabbage and Pinkel is a type of sausage, which has a weird name as "pinkeln" means "to pee".
And you better not ask what it's made of.

The cabbage, which is curly kale (according to the dictionary) is cooked together with alot of fat containing stuff, which includes the Pinkel sausage as well as other meat.
It's usually served with potatoes, other sausages and meat, and beer of course.

Rye bread. Every time I go abroads, I almost despair at the unavailability of quality rye bread.

Central Finland, where my mother comes from, sports a food called 'kalakukko', which translates as 'fish-rooster'. You take dough (rye!), fill it with pieces of fish and pork and bake it for several hours. Delicious when steaming hot, fantastic when cold. My late grandmother still baked them at the age of 80, with the fish she caught herself. :)

Soups, blini (pancakes?), pelmeni (ravioli?) etc. etc. etc. Never had a good soup like borsch or tschi outside Russia. Blini with caviar is something magnificent. Pelmeni (pieces of meat in dough boiled in water with different spices) are considered as one of the traditional Russian meals.

Fish and Chips.

Best eaten after a night in the pub straight from the paper walking home along the seafront.

No, there are no particular dishes unique to Adelaide, except perhaps the pie floater - an Aussie meat pie in a bowl of pea soup, with tomato sauce; quite nice of a night.
But that is not even widely consumed, so one will reply in the overall negative. Just good ordinary food.

Top Bottom