Editor Documentation Errors

Sooo? It's in the title. FUBAR.

Under Rules - Civilizations - Build Never - Def. Land Units

The AI will still build defenders occasionally, but not as many.

The AI's "strategy" is in part based upon building ROUGHLY 60% Defenders - 40% Attackers, and will even select high DF "Attackers" for defensive roles. I'd be very surprised if "Build Never - Def" skewed DF:AF > 55%:45%.

Also note that choosing more than 3 or maybe 4 "Build Often / Never" (each) WILL "confuse" the AI, although I've never analyzed into what sort of pattern it shifts.

Best,

Oz

Not certain, but I think the formula involves pi and the phase of the moon :rolleyes:

I'm pretty certain that it ain't affected by map size.

Ah, now I found the place where it said about it:

total culture points is needed, based on map size:
^
^Tiny: 60,000
^Small: 80,000
^Standard: 100,000
^Large: 130,000
^Huge: 160,000

Okay, so this is only true for the real game, not the scenarios?

I tried getting AI to drop units that were only defensive AI strategy and artillery AI strategy, but it wouldn't do it (for something like 100 turns straight, then I stopped). Offensive AI strategy units it would airdrop like crazy. So I think it must be hardcoded.

... Ah, yes, that magic word, "hardcoded." In all fairness, though, I can think of very few instances where paradrops were defensive in nature - perhaps Dien Bien Phu?? (Tactically offensive but strategically defensive? - I don't recall the details ATM.)

Best,

Oz

If you take Market Garden, the goal was to make a surprise attack, take a few key points and hold them until the reinforcement arrive.

Defensive paratrooper is not that strange.

... Although it is odd that the two examples we cited - Dien Bien Phu & Market Garden - were unmitigated disasters.

Not because of the paratroopers, but because
1) for Dien Pen Phu, the AI was not programmed by Firaxis and actually used artillery
2) For Market Garden, Montgomery poorly design the scenario, he should have given 1more MP to the tanks so they could arrive in time.

Not because of the paratroopers, but because
1) for Dien Pen Phu, the AI was not programmed by Firaxis and actually used artillery
2) For Market Garden, Montgomery poorly design the scenario, he should have given 1more MP to the tanks so they could arrive in time.

... Or 1 more MP to the grunts so they could keep up with the tanks. Still:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:thumbsup: ,

Oz

A bug(?) regarding Worker Strength (Unit-tab): A worker with Worker Strength 150 doesn't finish the job faster than a worker with 100. Example: 3 Workers with respectively 100, 150 og 190 and a worker-action with turns to complete=24. All these workers will use 24 turns. A worker with 200 will need 12 turns, and one with 300 will need 8 turns. It seems that only increments of 100(%) is recognized.

I've found a workaround to allow for smaller steps in worker efficiency which I've implemented in Rise and Rule: Set normal Worker Strength to 400, 125% to 500, and so on. Additionally, the "Turns to Complete"-values must be multiplied with 4. This will make it possible to have workers with different level of efficiency in steps of 25%, but a side-effect is that Civilopedia will report "Turns to complete"-values 4 times higher than actual.

If you uncheck fortify for a unit
a) It cannot sentry anymore
b) The fortify button is not there... But you can still fortify it using a right click and the contextual menu
--> Removing the fortify is useless

I will dare to bring up an this old discussion on this thread.
Unticking Fortify for units.

Was it like mentioned after this statement fixed in later version or not.
Can´t find anything new on this thread but perhaps I missed it in someother thread.

Like Steph I´m trying to have certain units not being able to fortify.
The BIG question is of course if the AI still can fortify whatever is ticked ?

Has someone found this out over the years ??
Is fortify something that one should disregard in modmaking ?
(Like Steph I hoped to have cavalry and light units not able to fortify)

As I know Fortifying a unit give that unit a small extra in defense, thats correct is it not ?

These little extras can give variations. I tried out ticking Explore for modern commando/Special Forces units with some weak offense but stronger defense.
They should be able to move around fast like Vanilla Explorer with pillage issues. Still the AI then isn´t that mad over them crossing their territory like other normal units.

What was very annoying in my tests if if you remove fortify, the unit cannot sentry.
So you must pass it every turn and tell it to do nothing.
This is quickly extremly boring.

But it still worked that if fortify isn´t ticked it can´t fortify and get those extra umph in defense if attacked, OR ?

It was just an idea to find out in how many areas one could differ units that can be created during the different eras.
With the humongus amount of units made up to today it´s hard to find specialities that makes them interresting to build.
I know the AI might not buy many of the tricks, but it looks barent to have just attack-defense-movement to differ.
Soo many others and fortify is of course (perhaps) another thing to try.

Actually if one plays on a very big map with lots of units one can´t keep track on whenever enemy units are approaching. I sometime leave units so that I must pass it and have the little look-around while I am at that place.
Even with restricted movements on the map some mods/scenarios can take very long time and I just leave the PC (and then miss some enemy approaching)

This is not mentioned in this thread, or the Da Rules thread...

Stealth Attack is ONLY working on ground units,
NOT on air-attacks (bombing)
or any sea units (This surely sad since having subs attacking this way would been great)
or in using bombardment by any unit.

Or am I wrong in this ???

Is it documented anywhere that F12 lets you crop maps in Firaxis's editor? I just saw that today in a thread, which I didn't want to threadjack, and had no idea Firaxis's editor supported that before, nor do I see it in the menus or mentioned in the Help files. I'd thought it was only in Steph's editor. It doesn't seem that stable in Firaxis's editor, though - I was able to get it to crash when cropping pretty easily, including an ill-fated attempt to expand the map by cropping with a negative start.

I downloaded this thread and couldn't find "F12" or "crop" mentioned in it, either. Maybe it should be added to the first page or linked to somewhere off of the first page?

Is it documented anywhere that F12 lets you crop maps in Firaxis's editor? I just saw that today in a thread, which I didn't want to threadjack, and had no idea Firaxis's editor supported that before, nor do I see it in the menus or mentioned in the Help files. I'd thought it was only in Steph's editor. It doesn't seem that stable in Firaxis's editor, though - I was able to get it to crash when cropping pretty easily, including an ill-fated attempt to expand the map by cropping with a negative start.

I downloaded this thread and couldn't find "F12" or "crop" mentioned in it, either. Maybe it should be added to the first page or linked to somewhere off of the first page?

Nope, it's omission in documentation is a FUBAR! [party] - Furthermore, I (for whatever reason) have to hold down the "Fn" & "F12" keys simultaneously to access this feature.

- :suicide:z

Top Bottom