Confused about religion

sabre364

Chieftain
Just recently got into gandk, a little confused about what happens if you didn't go for religion and all your cities are following a neighboring civ's religion. Obviously they get their bonuses because their religion is in your cities.

But, do you get bonuses since all your folks are following that particular religion?

Excellent thanks! Are there any buildings you should be buildng to increase any advantages from another civ's religion in your civ?

Still need to build shrines/temples for your own faith at that point?

Excellent thanks! Are there any buildings you should be buildng to increase any advantages from another civ's religion in your civ?

Still need to build shrines/temples for your own faith at that point?

Until you hit the Industrial Era, that depends on what beliefs that religion came with--it's very possible that your neighbor didn't choose any follower beliefs which allow you to spend faith on anything (besides missionaries & inquisitors, that is). So you'll want to figure that out first on the Religion Overview screen.

At any rate, more faith is always better if you can swing it. Even if you don't have anything to spend it on until the late game, once you hit Industrial you can use it to buy great people (with appropriate social trees). So, yeah...you still want to work shrines & temples into your build queues at some point. :)

If I didn't found a religion, chances are I wasn't focusing on shrines/temples/the proper pantheon belief to begin with. In that case I'd probably just ignore building them at all unless whatever AI religion that spreads into my lands has a buff to them (like happy or culture boost to temples) or I ran out of other necessary things to build

The one advantage to not founding a religion in time is that Great Prophets shouldn't (correct me if I'm wrong) spawn automatically. Even if they do, you can plant them for Holy Sites to increase faith production. Not spending them on founding/enchancing a religion, not spending faith on missionaries and not spending faith on buildings should lead to a huuuuuuge faith pool when the Industrial Era starts.

IIRC they won't spawn if you haven't founded a religion and the limit for doing so has been reached. I had that happen once and accrued enough faith to buy 3 scientists at once when I hit industrial
Good times

What about a Holy City? in my current game I didn't found a religion and was not able to get Great Prophets. I thought if I conquer a Holy City I would get all the bonuses, even that of the founder - but that did not seem to work. After I conquered the Holy City of Buddhism, the Holy City disappeared from the list of Holy Cities in the overview and also all the bonuses of that religion disappeared from the overview. If you hoover over the Holy City of the map you still get the info that this is the Holy City of Buddhism!

EDIT: I just loaded an earlier save and wrote down the bonuses I got: it seems that I still get the follower and enhancer bonuses but not the founder.

What about a Holy City? in my current game I didn't found a religion and was not able to get Great Prophets. I thought if I conquer a Holy City I would get all the bonuses, even that of the founder - but that did not seem to work. After I conquered the Holy City of Buddhism, the Holy City disappeared from the list of Holy Cities in the overview and also all the bonuses of that religion disappeared from the overview. If you hoover over the Holy City of the map you still get the info that this is the Holy City of Buddhism!

EDIT: I just loaded an earlier save and wrote down the bonuses I got: it seems that I still get the follower and enhancer bonuses but not the founder.

The key here lies in the terminology...founder belief. ;)

Quick question as well:

I had an AI Prophetbomb my OCC capital. Luckily, I had a missionary out. I converted my city again and removed the presence of all heathen faiths, but I only have +2 of half of my population as the original religion. How will I get more followers then?

I had an AI Prophetbomb my OCC capital. Luckily, I had a missionary out. I converted my city again and removed the presence of all heathen faiths, but I only have +2 of half of my population as the original religion. How will I get more followers then?

Assuming that your holy city's internal pressure is higher than that of other religions, it will grow naturally as the pressure builds up. Otherwise, you can use another missionary/great prophet to convert more of your citizens.

Also, I guess you learned this the hard way but especially when you're doing an OCC you want to keep an inquisitor stationed in your capital at all times. Then you never have to worry about being prophetbombed. :)

Assuming that your holy city's internal pressure is higher than that of other religions, it will grow naturally as the pressure builds up. Otherwise, you can use another missionary/great prophet to convert more of your citizens.

Also, I guess you learned this the hard way but especially when you're doing an OCC you want to keep an inquisitor stationed in your capital at all times. Then you never have to worry about being prophetbombed. :)

Yeah. I was lucky that I still had a Missionary out. I was bombed one turn away from buying an inquisitor. 10 turns and Dynamite Later, I declared war on Spain. This is gonna be a quick elimination...

Yeah. I was lucky that I still had a Missionary out. I was bombed one turn away from buying an inquisitor. 10 turns and Dynamite Later, I declared war on Spain. This is gonna be a quick elimination...

When I see a foreign GP anywhere near my lands and I've founded a religion, I will surround my capitol with units. Even if it means pulling workers off the line, this is more important. The GP's always seem to go away after that, they don't seem to bother with trying to convert the other cities.

Top Bottom