Tarot: Land of Arcana (WIP)

The Magnum Opus/Spaceship screen is finally finished. That was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Here is the link to my post about it: Magnum Opus screen.

Now I just need to make a new space video. But I'm going to put that on the bottom of my list.

So I'm going to work on the tech screens now which will probably take me 5-6 weeks to finish.

Looks good! Bear in mind it's "magnum opus". You'd expect the endings to match, but they don't, because contrary to what classicists say, Latin is a horribly irregular language.

Thanks. Yea that's gotten me about 10 times already. Fixed.

My favorite Tarot card is the Fool. I love the way he is happily prancing along, carrying a rose, and completely unaware that he's about to fall over a cliff.

The Four Eras:

Age of Innocence = 3500 BC - 700 BC (Ancient)
Age of Despair = 700 BC - 1300 AD (Classical Antiquity and Middle Ages)
Age of Reflection = 1300 AD - 1600 AD (Renaissance)
Age of Triumph = 1601 AD - 1945 AD (Enlightenment through WWII)

Techs:

Innocence:

The Fool
The Emperor
The Empress
The Hierophant

The Chariot

Earth*
Wind*
Fire*
Water*

Bones*

Literature

Despair:

Alchemy*

Darkness*
Relics*

Vengeance*
Sorrow*

Justice

The Crusades*

The Tower
Death

Note: I need one more for Despair to make a Celtic Cross...

Reflection:

The Moon
The Sun
The Stars

The Tempest*

The Hanged Man
Temperance

Charm*

The Lovers
The Magician

Note: I need 2 more here.

Triumph:

The Wheel of Fortune
The Hermit
The High Priestess
The World
The Devil
Judgment

Strength
Radiance*
Protection*
Spirit

Magic
Triumph*

Note: Magic probably needs to be moved to a different era or taken out...

Current Age of Innocence tech screen:

Current Age of Despair tech screen:

Current Age of Reflection tech screen:

Still needs some adjustment and work...

Current Age of Triumph tech screen:

The History of Gothic Earth:

Nightfall
The Twilight
The Burning Empires
The Defiance
The Shadow Orders
Darkness
The Stone
The New Empire
The Stone Cracks
The Horseman Descends
The Phoenix
The New World
The Circle Broken
The Wakening
The Enlightenment
The Dark Side

Improvements:
Aqueduct
Bank
Barracks
Buddhist Temple
Cathedral
Cemetery
Chinese Garden
Coastal Fortress
Colosseum
Courthouse
Farm
Flower Garden
Gazebo
Granary
Harbor
Hindu Temple
Hospital
Library
Marketplace
Muslim Mosque
Palace
Pond
Research
Shipyard
Stables
Stone Temple
Temple Garden
University
Vineyard
Walls
Wealth

Note: Change name of Research to Scholar's Quarters

Small Wonders:
Ballet
Battlefield Medicine
Belem Tower
Catacombs
Cavalry
Compass Rose
Death
Ebony Clock
Green Dome
Iron Works
Judgment
Justice
Knight's Templar
Military Academy
Monastery
Orchestra
Perfume Temple
Saint Basil's Cathedral
Strength
Temperance
Temple of the Sun
The Devil
The Emperor
The Empress
The Fool
The Forbidden Palace
The Hanged Man
The Hermit
The Hierophant
The High Priestess
The Knight of Cups
The Knight of Pentacles
The Knight of Swords
The Knight of Wands
The Locket
The Lovers
The Magician
The Moon
The Raven
The Silk Road
The Sphinx
The Stage
The Stars
The Sun
The Tower
The World
Wind Farm

Possible Small Wonders: Art Museum, Crathe's Castle, Magic Store, the Opera, Poet's Corner

Wonders:
Egyptian Ankh
Kenilworth Castle
Leonardo's Workshop
Sistine Chapel
Skeleton Key
Sun Tzu's Art of War
The Black Horse
The Caravan
The Chariot
The Great Wall
The Hanging Gardens
The Pale Horse
The Pendant
The Pyramids
The Red Horse
The Red Violin
The Tempest
The White Horse
Wheel of Fortune

Possible Occult Wonders: Black Pullet, Emerald Tablet, Felicity Plantation, The Sworn Book, Solomon's Temple

Possible Literature Wonders: Aesop's Fables, Arabian Nights, the Odyssey

Magnum Opus/Spaceship Improvements
1-4: The Chamber, The Altar, The Mirror, the Circle
5-6: The Skull, The Crown
7: The Sword of Vengeance
8: The Chalice of Sorrow
9: The Shield of Protection
10: The Wand of Radiance

Note: Even though the Crown is part 6, it is actually the last part required to cast the Magnum Opus spell.

You have to get the parts in this order:

7-10:
Find all of the magic items in the game, which may be a little difficult.

1-4:
The Chamber, The Altar, The Mirror, The Circle

5-6:
The Skull, The Crown

Note: I changed Matter and Spirit to the Skull (death, matter, mortality) and the Crown (divinity, spirit, immortality). The Magnum Opus screen shows an image of a skull with a crown on top which I think is sort of cool...

Magnum Opus screen.

I'm trying to iron out the time period for each era. This is what I've come up with so far:

Ancient - 3500 BC - 800 BC
Classical - 799 BC - 499 AD
Medieval - 500 AD - 1453 AD (the fall of the Byzantine Empire)
Renaissance - 1454 AD - 1753 AD

Even after researching this for a while, I'm not sure about it.

But this is what I have for now. If anyone thinks I am being the Fool card, let me know.

1453-1753 seems far too late for the Renaissance to me. I'd say the Renaissance was something like 1400-1600, and after that it's the Enlightenment; that's still pretty rough though!

1453-1753 seems far too late for the Renaissance to me. I'd say the Renaissance was something like 1400-1600, and after that it's the Enlightenment; that's still pretty rough though!

Thanks Plotinus. I think you are right. I'll put 1650 though so that it extends a little into the "future".

Edit: Now I'm wanting to extend the last era to 1687. I want Newton in the game because he was a believer in both Alchemy and Science and published books on both. But he didn't publish his Treatise about Gravity until 1687. But you are right. According to Wikipedia, the Renaissance ended around 1600 and then the Age of Enlightenment began after that and lasted until about 1780.

Alright, here I am editing this again. The land of Arcana needs to be old and magical, therefore, it needs to end with the Renaissance at 1600 AD. I keep obsessing over Sir Isaac Newton, Voltaire, and Descartes, and even Napoleon.

But I think the game will be less magical if I get too close to modern times and if the game includes the Age of Enlightenment/Reason and too much science. So Newton and Gravity are out.

Ancient = 3500 BC - 700 BC
Classical = 700 BC - 600 AD
Medieval = 601 AD - 1453 AD (Fall of Byzantine Empire)
Renaissance = 1454 AD - 1600 AD

Actually, the more I think about this. It's a magical world, so I can put Voltaire in the game as a leader. Because I planned on putting fictional characters in the game anyway...so I don't know how that could hurt the mod. It would probably make it more magical/fun to put certain characters like him in the game.

Ok, I'm going to review all of my techs and probably change some.

I apologize to anyone who is following this mod for how fickle I am ...I have OCD so it is hard for me to let go of things sometimes...

Edit: This has all been changed. See front page for the link to the new era information post.

I strongly disagree, Gray Wolf. Sure, during the French Revolution they wanted to tear down Notre Dame Cathedral in an effort to eliminate the old regime based on faith in the Church and faith in Divine Right -- which is NOT as medieval an idea as widely believed -- and the cathedral was only saved from the suddenly-non-Catholic mob by some clear-headed individual who said, "Hey, let's not tear down this historical piece of architecture. Let us instead rededicate it to Reason." (Yes, I may have gotten specific details a bit wrong, but the overall tale is true.) Foregoing an all-too-easy analogy between militant atheists in Paris and 20th-century Islamofascists destroying ancient Mesopotamian artifacts, I'm attempting to point out that the Enlightenment was an era rich in mystical thought, religious imagery, and a fusion of long-held myths with newly-discovered scientific truths. Sure, astronomers were taking a beating by being excommunicated or under house arrest, but in roughly the same time period some German clergymen marginalized by the Vatican were publishing a witch-hunter's manual filled with conclusions arrived at with the best logic and reasoning to be mustered at the time. (I'm referring, of course, to the Malleus Maleficarum, available in pdf format online.)

I cannot remember. Is Faust in your mod? Is he appropriate?

Dr. Johann Georg Faust (/ˈfaʊst/; c. 1480 – c. 1541), also known in English as John Faustus /ˈfɔːstəs/, was an itinerant alchemist, astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance. His life became the nucleus of the popular tale of Doctor Faust from circa the 1580s, notably culminating in Christopher Marlowe's play The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus (1604) and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's closet drama Faust (1808). -- wikipedia

Top Bottom