Resource Trading

dalgo

Emperor
I am having a difficulty understanding the factors involved in trading for resources. I want to trade my spice for american ivory. We both have ports connected to our capitals. I don't have astronomy or navigation yet but I can see a clear link between our ports on coastal squares. I am at war with the romans but their cities are not blocking that link.

Sometimes the trade is available and I take it, then a few turn later (often the same turn) that trade is lost. America still shows ivory available but not for trade. Later it becomes available again. The only explanation I can come up with is perhaps there is a roman galley blocking the trade route somewhere. Would that do it? What other factor am I missing?

Yup, that's why I try not to make lux/resource trade's at the start of the game... risky.

Originally posted by FlakJacket
Best bet would probably be to send out a couple naval units along the trade route for a little anti-piracy patrol.

But the question is......... If your ships are blocking a trade route that you're involved in, does that stop the trade & give you a rep hit.

I would guess so seeing as this is Firaxis we're talking about.

Originally posted by Gengis Khan

But the question is......... If your ships are blocking a trade route that you're involved in, does that stop the trade & give you a rep hit.

I would guess so seeing as this is Firaxis we're talking about.

No It does not... It doesn't block your own trade route...

That would be like your land units blocking your own trade route if they were standing in a 1-tile bottleneck. :ack:

Well, just imagine a bunch of rude warriors of yours making their private highway robbery, don't letting the wine stream through the bottleneck but through their throats.
:beer: :D

It sounds like it would have to be one of these:

1) a hostile naval unit blocking the route

if the American capital is not the one with the harbor

2) that a road route to the capital is being pillaged and rebuilt
3) a road route to the capital is being blocked by a hostile unit

Thanks for all the help. I guess it was caused by a roman galley blocking the trade route as suggested because the problem disappeared when I made peace.

Top Bottom