It's obviously the Germans....

neotemujin

Chieftain
Of course, the Germans will be the best civilization. I mean come on, they will have good tech and good military! This means they'll have greater numbers of better troops at higher experience levels! And the Panzer is sweet. It can attack multiple times in a turn (Actually I don't know whether or not it is the ony unit that can do that, but it's irrellevant because it is a good ability) AND it can retreat (as all "fast" units can).
If there is any competeion, it comes from (in this order): Persians, Chinese, Romans/Greeks, and POSSIBLY the Russians or Americans.
Just my thoughts :)

Ok, I like a good theological argument :)

While I definitely give the Germans a nod for their strong attributes and stylin' special unit, I must also disagree and say that they are not the best civ out there.

The Civ you believe to be best will obviously be one that matches your playing style, and hence, it will be very difficult to declare any individual civ the generic 'number one' as we all play a different brand of game.

Personally, I'm looking forward to one of the two civs we haven't seen yet: The English and the French. The Brits have their mighty Man-O-War to rule the Age of Exploration seas, complimented by Expansionist and Commercial attributes. This will allow them to bulid a larger empire quicker, while maintaining low levels of corruption and all the while financing a larger military force then my so called 'militaristic' neighbour. :D The latter boast what may be the deadliest combination of attributes in the game, Commercial and Industrious.

Now for some German bashing :D I'd encourage you to be as scientific as you like, because once I get my Intelligence Agency, I'm going to be financing espionage missions left and right and taking all your tech :p. I'll also be storming your territory mid-game and bombarding the crap out of your coastal cities. You'll waste so much energy trying to guard them, that I'll be miles ahead by the modern era and hitting your 'Pannsy-ers' with my B2's.

Originally posted by Jive
frenchy has a point

Yes he has a point. But this is a single player only game. So how smart is the AI? Will it *know* how to take advantage of these early abilities?

I like japan. Mixing religion and war seems like a cool if not bloody ability...

The America should be Commercial and Expansion IMHO...
I mean look at just about EVERY nation in the world... Do you see an M with a funny looking clown anywhere?

Think about it...

I agree with Cunobelin.
English are top because the empire-building aspect of getting distant resources affcts every part of the game.
Haha, Germans suck!

Originally posted by Mozenwrath
Haha, Germans suck!

:E
Just wait till there is a MP patch for civ3, then I'll drive my Panzers over your ..... back ;) :lol:

We can't really tell wich Civ will be the best, since we haven't played the game!! I think it will depend on the player, his agressiveness, or his commercial abilities...

The English...you think on the world map any of the many european civs will get to trade overseas to the rest of the world? :lol:

Originally posted by Avahz Darkwood
The America should be Commercial and Expansion IMHO...
I mean look at just about EVERY nation in the world... Do you see an M with a funny looking clown anywhere?
Think about it...

Yeah, but McDonalds aren't a civ. Where has America conquered exactly? They bought Alaska from the Russians and don't have former colonies in the same way as the European powers. American culture and influence may have spread across the modern world, but their dominion doesn't stretch beyond embassies and airbases abroad. They can't be considered expansionist as they have never had the chance to expand in their history.

Now for some German bashing :D I'd encourage you to be as scientific as you like, because once I get my Intelligence Agency, I'm going to be financing espionage missions left and right and taking all your tech :p. I'll also be storming your territory mid-game and bombarding the crap out of your coastal cities. You'll waste so much energy trying to guard them, that I'll be miles ahead by the modern era and hitting your 'Pannsy-ers' with my B2's. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, my sons!

A Civ's only as good as the human guiding it!
what if those dastardly germans have followed the exceed your same tech path with spies and other sneakiness?
Also with thier science they develop jet tech!
I'm afraid your precious B2 spirits will get SAM missles blowing chunks off thier lovely radar-absorbant paintwork!!!
Then thier "pansy" panzers will be rolling into your garden!!

DON'T underestimate the AI of CIV3, I think it is going to EVIL!
I can see the Germans having jets bombing me while I try to hide my knights, and I'm a CIV veteran!

Originally posted by duke o' york

Yeah, but McDonalds aren't a civ. Where has America conquered exactly? They bought Alaska from the Russians and don't have former colonies in the same way as the European powers. American culture and influence may have spread across the modern world, but their dominion doesn't stretch beyond embassies and airbases abroad. They can't be considered expansionist as they have never had the chance to expand in their history.

What are you talking about? How about starting from 13 colonies hugging the Atlantic to spreading out all the way across the continent to the Pacific? Louisiana Purchase (tons of land), Mexican-American War (Getting California, AZ, New Mexico part of Colorado, Nevada), the Annexations of Texas and Hawaii, the purchase of Alaska, the Spanish American War (Getting Guam, Phillippenes, and Puerto Rico). I call that Expansionist.

Hey, people bring up how the Germans are best and why, people are allowed to bring up why the Americans might be better or how the Americans could be made better :)

Personally the Chinese seem to fit my playing style the best, followed by the Americans...but I'm strongly considering playing the Persians and ruling the world with my Industrious and Scientific self. :scan:

Yup, Persians are my bet too. At least to start.

It looks to me like any game with the germans in it will have a world war just about when the Germans get their panzers as they try to capitalize on their golden age. If they are still around and strong they could be very tough to beat !

From the strategy guide it seems that it is going to be tough to wipe anyone out, and that the game plays out to large conflicts in the industrial and modern eras. This would indeed make the Germans (and the Americans) formidable.

I think the Americans were made an expansionist empire to symoblize the westward drive which enveloped over 150 years of it's history. Makes sense to me. I can't wait to try them out for myself, though! :lol:

the germans aren't bad, but i think i'll play romans more than the germans

Originally posted by jc011
the germans aren't bad, but i think i'll play romans more than the germans

I am gonna try all the CIVS, they all rule in thier own way!

But my first game will be with the glorious Romans!
Then maybe the mysteries of Egypt...
But the grim Germans are always of my faves
along with the pioneering Americans!:goodjob:

Hurry up CIV3!!!:crazyeyes

Top Bottom