For want of artifact storage, or too many beads.

DefiantMarauder

Chieftain
Now I love archeology, and sending out little Indiana Jones' around the world to gather finds for my museum like England in the 1700& 1800s. But in my haste I've filled up every slot of my buildings with every bead, amulet, and mask I found. Now I've been finding shields, and statues that I want to add, but I have no where to put it and I can only make a landmark.

Is there no warehouse I could stuff these in as storage, leave for grabs by other civs, donate what I no longer want I no longer want in my museums to the original owners, or HELL just destroy them to keep them out of my rival's hands, as has happened so many times before in the span of history.

I've heard of having the option to donate it to the host civ if over seas, but I have seen none in a century of digging.

I've just finished the exploration tree and found all the hidden sites, and now I have a bunch of archeologists sitting on ruins that I can't touch other than to make land marks on single spot islands in the middle of the ocean.

Building a new city just to gain extra slots shouldnt be my only recourse. Anyone know a way out? Did I miss something?

Had this exact same problem with works of art. I wish it gave you an opportunity to sell the great work to the AI, or store it somewhere (really like that idea) or something. It sucks going to the work to build a special unit, spend the turns excavating it, and then being stuck creating a landmark.

converting every single dig site into an artifact is actually not as useful, gameplay wise, as it seems to be. It's better to create landmarks if any of your cities can work the tile.

Well to be fair, you should know how many spaces you have in your museums to store the stuff, but I agree that it really sucks, there should be a wonder like the Smithsonian that gives you three or four more slots for artifacts, unlocked with Exploration. Or as you said, a warehouse would be nice as well. I guess this is another incentive to get more cities for museums.

Exploration unlocks the Louvre, which gives you four slots (though if you want the max theming bonus, only two can be used for artefacts).

converting every single dig site into an artifact is actually not as useful, gameplay wise, as it seems to be. It's better to create landmarks if any of your cities can work the tile.

In my case both the digsites were outside of my cultural borders down by a couple of city states.

I will keep that in mind about the landmarks for my next game. I literally had no idea what I was doing with a lot of the new culture/archaeology stuff.

Well to be fair, you should know how many spaces you have in your museums to store the stuff, but I agree that it really sucks, there should be a wonder like the Smithsonian that gives you three or four more slots for artifacts, unlocked with Exploration. Or as you said, a warehouse would be nice as well. I guess this is another incentive to get more cities for museums.

While I don't disagree, it's not like I knew I was going to get great artwork from a digsite. Unless digsites only give great art? In which case I feel like an idiot.

Edit: Looking at the manual for BNW this is what it says you can get from a artifact site: Great Work Artifact or Landmark. So maybe i'm not an idiot after all?

Edit2: Also from the manual: If you choose to extract an Artifact, it will be placed in any open Great Work of Art slot in your Museums, Palace, or certain Wonders

As I stated in another thread, I wasn't building museum's because my culture was so high, so chalk this up to a lesson learned.

Exploration unlocks the Louvre, which gives you four slots (though if you want the max theming bonus, only two can be used for artefacts).

I did that last night! I was so proud of myself to get to the Lourve before France! Then a couple turns later I had everything I needed for the theming bonus! ;)

But anyway to the OP, even with me going for as much tourism as possible, I only have four cities currently so the spaces are running low. I finished exploration just about the same time I unlocked archaeology so there's even more dig sites, (I was a bit underwhelmed that the "hidden sites" were no better than the regular ones, but yes there are so many. The only option is to widen the empire.

Top. Men.

I read that cathedrals now have a slot for great works of art.
You can try to that in your religion, or try to get the religion that has that, in order to get a few extra slots.

Top Bottom