New Unit: Catapult Tetrareme

Orthanc

Shipwright
Well, I'm back in business! This one took a little longer than expected, but not nearly as badly as my last unit, and it wasn't because this thing was too complex, just school being time consuming. :(

Anywho, for those wondering this is a Greek ship from the time after Alexander the Great, and as the name implies it has a catapult built into it.

Here's the file:
Catapult Tetrareme

And the preview, onto the next boat!

Attachments

• p6.JPG
    p6.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 3,443
From the preview this unit looks simply amazing, I'll test this puppy out in game and destroy those damn Dromons.

Great job

If I didn't know any better I'd say the creator of this unit was Aaglo. :)

Orthanc, I read on Wikipedia once that there was many "Reme" ships from the time of the Greeks to the Romans. Quadrareme, Quinrareme, Trireme, Tetrareme, Bireme. Does "reme" mean sail or something in greek or latin?

:woohoo: - that's pretty ship :)

@SOG,
My memory might be wrong about this, but I remember reading that the "reme" has something to do with "the number of rows of oarsmen per side of the ship". Bireme has rowers on two rows, trireme on three rows, ect.

@Sword_of_Geddon : reme is from the latin word remus, which means row. Incidentally, tetra means four.
This picture might help if you're not sure what's meant exactly:

There would be three tiers of rowers on this trireme, one man per oar. Apparently, it was rather smelly and unpleasant, particularly on the bottom tier.

Thanks for the compliments! :D

Yeah, aaglo and R8XFT got the answer to the reme question. And yeah, it was very uncomfortable in these things. But they are warships, which no matter how luxurious they're made always end up getting uncomfortable, especially during battle. That's why these things would rarely be out for much more than a couple days, they're oar powered primarily as well, so they essentially could only be at sea as long as the rowers could row for.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
If I didn't know any better I'd say the creator of this unit was Aaglo. :)

Orthanc, I read on Wikipedia once that there was many "Reme" ships from the time of the Greeks to the Romans. Quadrareme, Quinrareme, Trireme, Tetrareme, Bireme. Does "reme" mean sail or something in greek or latin?

Indeed, like was said the Greek "eres"(Trieres, Dieres, Tetreres etc), is translated thus in latin. Some times more rows would mean taller ships, or later on, ships with two or more bodies(there were some ships with more than 1500 oars if I recall, that weren't really functional of course and easily sinkable too.

In greek word, if you're looking for earlier ships, they used to also call them with an afix od "Kontoros" meaning how many oarsmen(unless I'm mistaken which would be embarassing as a Greek).

you'd have "Pentekontoros"(50 Oarsmen), "Triakontoros"(30 Oarsmen) etc.

Great job, btw.

flamescreen said:
Indeed, like was said the Greek "eres"(Trieres, Dieres, Tetreres etc), is translated thus in latin. Some times more rows would mean taller ships, or later on, ships with two or more bodies(there were some ships with more than 1500 oars if I recall, that weren't really functional of course and easily sinkable too.

In greek word, if you're looking for earlier ships, they used to also call them with an afix od "Kontoros" meaning how many oarsmen(unless I'm mistaken which would be embarassing as a Greek).

you'd have "Pentekontoros"(50 Oarsmen), "Triakontoros"(30 Oarsmen) etc.

Great job, btw.

Weren't Pentekontoros the first warship ever?

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Weren't Pentekontoros the first warship ever?
You can call sth a warship as long as:
  • it holds afloat
  • it allows you to do harm to do other people from it.
Anyway, nice unit.
Anybody willing to make a Catapult Trieires and Hexaeres/Heptaeres?

Orthanc said:
Yeah, aaglo and R8XFT got the answer to the reme question. And yeah, it was very uncomfortable in these things. But they are warships, which no matter how luxurious they're made always end up getting uncomfortable, especially during battle. That's why these things would rarely be out for much more than a couple days, they're oar powered primarily as well, so they essentially could only be at sea as long as the rowers could row for.
The uncomfortability was the main cause of the Cartaghinian naval defeats... The oarsmen (mainly Greek & Roman slaves) would revolt and stop pushing the oars... sometimes even turning the ship overto the Roman/Greek fleets...
[wikipedia]

:lol:

I wonder if the rowers would ever rebel in secret, so by the time their masters notice they've already rowed the ship into the middle of a Roman harbour and started to escape. :lol:

Nice ship. I was wondering when somebody would do some of these.

Orthanc said:
I wonder if the rowers would ever rebel in secret, so by the time their masters notice they've already rowed the ship into the middle of a Roman harbour and started to escape.
Nope, the Cartaghinians weren´t stupid, they simply overplayed their hand against Rome.
Hannibal´s main causes for not crossing the Straits of Messina into Italy were:
  • The Romans were very strong in Sicily by that time.
  • The oarsmen were certain to rebel if they knew they were going to transport an incasion into their homeland.
  • The elephants, Hannibal´s special weapon, were difficult to transport by sea, and they got rampantly mad when on a boat. This didn´t cause much diffeerence in the end because the elephants froze to death in the Alps and the only surviving one was blind.
Hannibal should have waited for the greeks of Sicily to revolt against Rome.

R8XFT said:
reme is from the latin word remus, which means row. Incidentally, tetra means four.

flamescreen said:

I think that the correct name for this greek unit is "Tetraeres" or "Tetrakontoros, not "Tetrareme", because "-reme" is a latin suffix and "Tetra-" a greek prefix.
However great unit!!

10lire said:
I think that the correct name for this greek unit is "Tetraeres" or "Tetrakontoros, not "Tetrareme", because "-reme" is a latin suffix and "Tetra-" a greek prefix.
However great unit!!
In HTS, it will be called Tetraires, in Punic Wars, it will be Tetrareme.

Top Bottom