How to Add/Use These New Units

Originally posted by Exel
Is it possible to have two units with the same name? Or now even the same Civilopedia entry? I'm tired of having flavor units that are all essentially the same to each have different names and their own Civilopedia stuff. :(
Yes, I believe you can. It's been so long since I've added a unit (I've a huge backlog), though, I can't remember exactly how.

I know you can call a flavour unit the same thing as another unit, simply by re-naming it in the Editor, but pressing the SpaceBar after the name. So you could have "Rifleman" and "Rifleman " and "Rifleman " etc.

As to civilopedia entries, I think you can use the same PRTO entry, ...eeek..., but I think you have to make the ANIMNAME entries different.

That's as best as I can remember, anyway.

Originally posted by Mithadan
As to civilopedia entries, I think you can use the same PRTO entry, ...eeek..., but I think you have to make the ANIMNAME entries different.

But the ANIMNAME entry uses the PRTO entry to determine the unit it's for, doesn't it?

Also using space bar to make the names different is not exactly what I was after. :p Unless of course the game removes the additional space ingame and uses it only in the editor, but I dare doubt that. :(

I'm goin insane here! I downloaded a bunch of units off the site. So I'll just use the "shadow warrior" unit as my example. I first added the unit to my scenario in the Civ3QEdit, naming it "Shadow Warrior" and giving its civilopedia entry: PRTO_Shadow_Warrior. Now in my pediaicons.txt file i went to the bottom of all the units and pasted as so: #ICON_PRTO_Shadow_Warrior
art\civilopedia\icons\units\06warriorlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\06warriorsmall.pcx

Now, i went to the bottom of the file to the Animname section and gave it this name.
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Shadow_Warrior
Shadow Warrior

This matches up with the folder name that i placed in the Units folder of my scenario folder. Also, the .INI file has the corresponding name of its folder. So I have all this, and even so, when i load my scenario with a shadow warrior unit placed on the map, i get this error: ERROR READING FILE Missing entry in "text/Pediaicons.txt": ANIMNAME_PRTO_Shadow_Warrior.
Now, what angers me about this is that I DO have that in my pediaicons file.
So does anyone have ANY idea of what I am doing wrong?? I just wanna add those sweet units. thanks in advance!

Is the information in this site relevant to the new expansion conquests, particularly Krytens guide. I have'nt really tried to put in any units so far but it does look hard and I would just like to make sure thats all this information is up to date before I really go for it .

I have had this happen so many times. There is a 95% chance that you have a misspelling or a blank space somewhere. You have probably looked at this entry a hundred times, but look again. Highlight the text and see if any spaces are evident. Check the folder, the ini filename, the civilopedia, and the entry you have in the Editor. Make certain all have the exact same spelling. If you don't find it, then look in the Scenarios Folder under information to make certain that the "Search Folders" refers to the folder where the custom unit is stored.

Hope this helps.

I'm truly sorry for being at the least an idiot,but i still can't get to add units.I believe i followed the instructions as given but when i launch the game i still get error in pediaicons.txt animname and it blowsway the game.I'm trying to add the very nice horse artillery to my game. please help. Again sorry about being so dense i must be missing something,like brains. Crumchek

I think you need to wipe out the unit completely and start again. This time, change the name slightly, so you are forced into reviewing every entry you make. I know it is frustrating, but it has to be a spelling error. The three main places to check are:

- PRTO Name in the Units Creation Tab
- Pediaicons.txt - both animname and small/large pcx references
- Civilopedia.txt - Unit Entry

Remember, in all of these places there are various combinations and you must separate Horse Artillery by using Horse_Artillery. Some entries require #PRTO in front, while others have different prefixes. Check them all carefully. Like I said, 1 character off and you get a complete crash.

G'day everyone, first post. I think I've just about got it right - I've added an AT-AT walker to Civ3 Gold (the version I have) using the Civ3Edit application that came with Civ3 Gold and managed to get it working fine in a scenario, my problem is that I can't see the text entries in Civilopedia. I've done the following:

1. Created a folder in the art/units folder called AT-AT, which is the same name as the .ini file
2. Unzipped all the files (flc, etc) into this folder as per the instructions on this thread
3. Updated my units_32.pcx file with the icon
4. Copied the PRTO_AT-AT file from the text file in the zip file into the Civilopedia.txt file (I put it in between Panzer and Artillery)
5. Copied the following into the PediaIcons.txt file:

art\civilopedia\icons\units\atat_large.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\atat_small.pcx

The unit works fine in the game, but the description comes up blank when checking the Civilopedia entry - only the attack/defence/movement stats are there, as well as a huge pic of the unit itself. From what I've learned on this thread, I'm guessing that in steps 3 or 4 I've stuffed something up.

Is the sequencing of where you put the Civilopedia and PediaIcons entries important (eg do they have to follow the sequence of the units_32.pcx file?).

Another thing I noticed is that the atat_large.pcx and atat_small.pcx files are not named AT-AT, which is what my folder in the art/units folder is, and not what the Civilopedia name is (PRTO_AT-AT). The pcx files came already named that way, so I didn't want to change them. Is this important?

Also, I read something about an animname reference, where is this located? :confused: I didn't fill in anything of that nature...:o

Appreciate any help. :)

I never mess around with dashes. Either collpase to ATAT or do AT_AT and make them separate words.

OK, I've managed to root cause the source of the problem...I was typing in PTRO instead of PRTO. :D

Everything's *almost* ok now, except for the fact that the icon in my build queue is wrong...it only shows the feet of the AT-AT walker. Could this have something to do with the ANIMNAME thing?

Thank you bcaspius,i did as you suggested and found my errors,they were as you suspected--typos.Sometimes i wonder about me.Too fast,too much in a hurry,eager to use these really neat units.I thank you again. Crumchek

Idiot again here.Has anyone run into "wav file not found"?.I've crashed twice now,once with "Swordman fortify wav not found" and "modern worker capture wav not found". I have no idea what to do.These are not units i have ever touched.The dled units i use now work just fine thanks to bcaspius.Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Crumchek

I have had this too. Believe it or not, the wav file names in Swordman, and some others are screwed up. Again, it is a minor spelling error probably Swordsman vs Swordman. Check it really carefully. Not all the native units are correct. Also, there are spelling errors in lots of downloaded units. You have to check every reference in the ini file to ensure that it matches the file names.

The technique I use, is to open several Windows Explorer views and bounce back and forth, while the ini file is open. But, even better, is to get a program which prints will print out the names of all files in the directory and use that when reviewing ini files. I hope this all helps. I have served my time in Error Hell and hope I can help anyone else. Many provided me the same help.

Madryoch

I have the same problem with ATAT. There is something wrong with the pcx file. I have learned to accept it.

Thanks again bcaspius i really appreciate all your help.Can you or someone please tell me what happened between civ3 and conquest??.I've had swordsman,modern worker,and now infantry all die on me because the wav files can't be found.These worked fine in civ3 and i haven't touched them,what gives here??.I thought native units were suppose to translate to conquest.I did manage to get the modern worker fixed by copying and renaming another wav file and that worked fine.That hasn't worked with swordsman,infantry or armored shock infantry which so far is the only non native unit i can't get working.As i'm sure you all know this is a #$@%&^# drag.I'm pretty close to just going back to civ3,which is too bad because i do like conquests but it won't let me finish a game.I guess what i'm doing is screaming for help yet again.You really are the best group of people when it comes to helping someone out and i do thank you all. Crumchek

Just fix the units. Treat them like custom units and crosscheck all the file references in the ini, pcx's and bix,biq, etc.. Once they are synchronized, it won't matter that there was an issue. The only problem that will not solve, is any existing game you have saved.

I don't know why it happened. I only know that we need to deal with it, so I just roll with it.

Top Bottom