Normal or Epic ?

WallofTerror

Chieftain
What do you guys suggest as for game pace ?

Is epic good with a standard map ?
Is standard doable with a large map ?

I tried a game on fast the other day and man my units became obsolete pretty quick.

Epic with the research costs tweaked in xml to last 25% longer suits me just fine.

What do you means by twaeking by 25% to last longer ?

So instead of being 100 rounds it last 125 rounds ?

How do you edit xml file ?

I'm too used to marathons to enjoy any other game speed, but if I had to chose between normal and epic, I'd say epic.

Isn't Marathon way too slow ?
Isn't it hard to win on any other victory type than domination ?

What map size you play on ?

I enjoy Epic.

I'm trying a Standard game now, and with a techy civ like the Koreans ages are just blurring by too fast. By the time i hit the industrial age i was still fielding Hwachas as the bulk of my army.

Isn't Marathon way too slow ?
Isn't it hard to win on any other victory type than domination ?

What map size you play on ?

All you have to do is fix the speed and set build unit time to normal speed instead of the value used for marathon (which is INSANELY LONG).

I play Marathon with a couple of mods I made to slow tech even further but use Standard or Epic speed for production and diplomatic stuff. I also changed the medieval tech costs to make the tech speed slow noticeably at that point to mirror the historical dark ages. I enjoy immersion and games that take dozens of hours to play through though, so it's not for everyone.

All you have to do is fix the speed and set build unit time to normal speed instead of the value used for marathon (which is INSANELY LONG).

how will that change the gameplay ?
So you play marathon in terms of turns but with the standard building speed of units/buildings ? Isn't kinda unbalanced ?

I used to play on marathon and epic speed regularly pre-BNW. Now I play exclusively on standard pace. The game has become more balanced since the last expansion's release and it seems like most of the improvements/additions were made with standard speed in mind. There are a number of things that don't scale particularly well with the longer paces and this can have a significant impact on the game.

I also find that the game can get mind-numbingly boring on the longer paces though this is a matter of personal preference and so was not considered in my above assessment.

how will that change the gameplay ?
So you play marathon in terms of turns but with the standard building speed of units/buildings ? Isn't kinda unbalanced ?

Seems like it would swing balance massively in favor of Ancient/Classical conquerors (Assyria, Huns and Romans). Give Attila 200 turns worth of Horse Archer madness and I don't see how you could fail to conquer the world.

With my early BNW games (large continents plus/prince difficulty) I'm at epic speed. Will probably proceed to marathon soon for the immersion value. Too much instant gratification for me at faster speeds.

Okay.

You guys think I should modify xml files sont I can make the game so that units do not become obsolete quickly ?

like changing the speed of research or turns ?

Or you suggest playing on standard and not touching xml files ?

Okay.

You guys think I should modify xml files sont I can make the game so that units do not become obsolete quickly ?

like changing the speed of research or turns ?

Or you suggest playing on standard and not touching xml files ?

If you haven't played Standard yet then definitely do that before messing with the game files; the game is balanced for Standard and some things get weird on longer speeds.

On Standard speed I'd say the average military unit has at least 50 turns of service, often more. Certain uniques like Siege Towers or Keshiks can last 100 turns before they're obsolete.

I used to enjoy Epic more than Standard, yet after BnW, Standard is much better. The game takes much longer compared to before.

Me and a friend of mine used to always play on epic, and on immortal/deity difficulty.
We switched back to standard when BNW got released, mostly because we both agree epic difficulty makes the game alot harder on the highest difficulty settings, plus we wanted to change the gameplay first at the speed it was designed on.

If you play on the median range difficulties and you enjoy the war game alot, then I definitely advice to use the slower speed settings.
If you are more of a builder, and/or you are trying to work yourself up the difficulty chain I would recommend staying at standard speed.

I love epic (on huge maps), but it takes so long that one complete game occupies my entire weekend. I can start early on Saturday morning, nap for 5 or so hours on Saturday night, resume in the wee hours on Sunday, and barely finish on Sunday night.

Hmm. That sounds good. I guess I should go junk food shopping tonight if I want a game this weekend. :D

My epic/marathon games usually last a week or two, sometimes three.

Top Bottom