World's Fair, International Games, etc.

Xiao Xiong

Prince
Do you ever build these? I view them as a distraction from developing my cities. But who knows.

I do like to propose them at the world congress, because it makes everybody love me. Then I vote against my own proposition so that I can propose it again and make everybody love me more.

But I never build them. Wondering if anyone else thinks they are worthwhile.

I always go for them - they can be valuable for the social policies. However, it depends on my situation at the time- if my cities really need developing I am prepared to forsake them. In any case I generally have at least one major city producing "normal" things.

(As an aside I also make proposals and vote against them to gain favour).

They can be very useful for their rewards. I usually do not go all out for victory, but I do make sure I spend enough time to get 2nd price for the free social policy on worlds fair. Often times it doesn't take many turns to get that 2nd price. It can make a large difference in how fast you can finish a victory condition if you are not going for a cultural one, which tends to not need the free social policy, but one of them gives 100% towards tourism, which is huge for getting a fast cultural victory.

Generally when I am in the position to propose these, I am also in the position of having greater production than anybody else. They are the "safest" resolutions to propose and give pretty great benefits, so I go for them in all but my capital and finish them off quickly, usually.

I build them, I like the rewards.

Great for culture and tourism.

I've been in a close tourism race and had International Games seal the deal. Worth the production for a win, no different than building space ship parts.

World's Fair - definitely yes. Before games save a few GWs and one GA. Then use GA for golden age during games and GWs after you have won. It will give you plenty of culture :)

Just imagine the powerhouse that is Brazil

+100% Tourism from .. the World's Fair? (or was it games..)
+100% Tourism from Golden Age

O.O

World's Fair: Golden Age Points, a Free Policy, 100% Culture Boost... always. So many huge bonuses, way more useful than any building that you have to delay, probably even if those are science buildings. I always try to go for it if I've got the production. I even bribe Civs with high production into war, so they hopefully focus on units instead of the World's Fair.

International Games: +3 Happiness, again +3 Happiness on silver and +30 Influence with EVERY SINGLE CITY STATE (that you've met), +100% Tourism and a free social policy... well, silver should always be worth it. The happiness and the free influence are huge. Gold depends. Policy is again just huge. Tourism can help with happiness, so it's helpful even when you're not going for a cultural victory - and you deny the bonus for another Civ. If all production-powerhoses are weak on tourism, I'll usually skip gold, although the free policy is probably still worth it.

Just imagine the powerhouse that is Brazil

+100% Tourism from .. the World's Fair? (or was it games..)
+100% Tourism from Golden Age

O.O

And National Visitor's center, Internet...

since I started deity, these are rather impossible to win, especially early WF. So I aim for 350 hammers. Its still good enough :)

the best moment to time the games is after you are sone with internet. the AI rarely proposes that, so it should be np ...

I always build these. The rewards are just too valuable not to.

The interesting tip I take from this is to propose something to World Congress just to make people love you; and then vote against your own proposal and propose it again.

The interesting tip I take from this is to propose something to World Congress just to make people love you; and then vote against your own proposal and propose it again.

I've definitely proposed these to gain diplomatic relations with civ's who were angry with me, but I've never voted them down, as there are plenty of other proposals that also gain good diplomatic relations.

Yeah. If I get a first round proposal when world congress is founded, I do that, so that I start out of the gate with everybody liking me. I propose the resolutions I really want, that everybody hates, like making mine the world religion, or science funding, only later on once I have had a chance to sort out the diplomatic situation. Usually by identifying who is the war monger everybody hates on the other continent and denouncing them.

Otherwise if you propose a resolution everybody hates, and then somebody denounces you, you might get dogpiled with "a civ i like more than you has denounced you" denouncements.

the best moment to time the games is after you are sone with internet. the AI rarely proposes that, so it should be np ...

It's actually 20ish turns before you get to the internet, to speed games up. If you wait until you get there, you're saddled with an extra host vote, and then possibly a world leader vote in the interim.

And build your musicians guild on the turn before you start on the games and you're usually set.

Top Bottom