After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

ZeekLTK

Warlord
I've had this game for quite a while, but just a few days ago, for the first time ever, I found out that if you click on the face of an AI in the foreign advisor screen, it will show you what specific items that AI needs that you have (and that other AIs have).

Previously, whenever I went to foreign advisor screen, it always showed me what resources/techs I have that at least 1 AI does not have, but I never knew how to figure out WHICH AI needs what. At least not without going to talk with every single leader and seeing what shows up on the trade screen. This makes it so much easier. lol

I only discovered this by accident, as I didn't mean to click on a face but did so, and then was shocked to see that the information on the screen changed. I don't see how you are suppose to know that this is a feature, it's not obvious at all (to me at least).

What features took some of you years to find?

That cities actually have rally points, I always hated that the feature wasn't there, but it actually was all the time...

Remember the 'rename unit' button in Civ 3? When I didn't find said button in Civ 4 I cursed them for removing what I considered a cool thing, but accepted that it was cool but hardly necessary...until someone mentioned renaming their units in a thread on this board like a month ago.

Mine was finding out that you could chain forts in order to move sea units from one water area to another..

After playing sporadically for years, I found out a few months ago that clicking on your flag takes you to your capital city.

And, after playing sporadically for years, I found out a few minutes ago that clicking on a leader's face in the diplo screen calls up their "wants/can give" info. Good thread, ZeekLTK. :goodjob:

...however, I couldn't even tell you how many features I've come across and depend on that are BUG-specific. :mischief:

According to the Significant Other, and I'm quoting verbatim "on date nights, it's my turn to be Civ Queen and do what I want. Your Civver friends can just deal with it for a few hours". So in answer to your question CivNoobie (and my 20+ years of experience with the other half's moods), that would be a yes. Especially if you know your bed is more comfortable than the couch :trouble:

According to the Significant Other, and I'm quoting verbatim "on date nights, it's my turn to be Civ Queen and do what I want. Your Civver friends can just deal with it for a few hours". So in answer to your question CivNoobie (and my 20+ years of experience with the other half's moods), that would be a yes. Especially if you know your bed is more comfortable than the couch :trouble:

After 43 years of living with a woman (myself), I can tell you with all certainty that dealing with a woman is quite easy. Simply give her everything she wants, realize that she is always right, and increase her shoe budget. Just follow those three little tips, and you'll never have to sleep on the couch again. :D

On topic: I've learned nothing new recently. I'm still quite terrible at this game, and know little more than I did two years ago. OK, I didn't know I was terrible two years ago, so I guess I have learned something new...

She could care less about shoes. It's shelves for her knick knacks, and she has a fairly large budget where that is concerned ( it's just safer that way :whew:).

OT; Didn't you just realize that settlers can't cross your borders fm a previous thread? That's something isn't it :mischief:.

After 43 years of living with a woman (myself)

Holy cows, talk about persistency. I don't think the average couple is that resilient in modern standards, since people are more egocentric and egotistical.

After 43 years of living with a woman (myself), I can tell you with all certainty that dealing with a woman is quite easy. Simply give her everything she wants, realize that she is always right, and increase her shoe budget. Just follow those three little tips, and you'll never have to sleep on the couch again. :D

On topic: I've learned nothing new recently. I'm still quite terrible at this game, and know little more than I did two years ago. OK, I didn't know I was terrible two years ago, so I guess I have learned something new...

I'm just gonna translate that in the best and most loving way I can find LM:

SURRENDER! :D

All the best towards your current state (description in title) .

Regarding the thread-title:

I learned something new in CIV lately... After having used the Windows Calculator for years now to calculate the amount of Hammers a city must not exceed for a whip to remain larger and cause max OF I got told by WastinTime in this 3 sentences long post that me doing all of this was totally superflous, because BUG has a yellow-marker showing exactly using the whip is optimal...

This has been at least the 2nd time already that he made me realize that I'm really bad too sometimes and that I make myself a lot of more work than I'd need to...

:pat:

That you can gouge if an AI is building a wonder by checking the "Sabotage Production" mission cost.

Corporations use your own resources in providing the bonus, not the one who controls the HQ. I only found this out when I was trying for UN victory and I wanted to increase the population of my vassal.

I don't even want to think of how many years I played BtS before discovering the awesome power of corporations.

Just yesterday, I learned there's a way to make all of your cities build the same thing. However, I don't know the actual command; I was punch-drunk and misclicked and suddenly all 30 of my cities were producing explorers. That was annoying. :blush:

Top Bottom