NFL Offseason 2015

Serutan

Eatibus Anythingibus
With the Combine this week, it's time to go to an official off season thread.

Cards sign Fitz to restructured deal.

Well done to Cardinals and Fitz. If Carson Palmer can hold together for a full season they may be something to reckon with.

Other interesting subjects of the moment:

Cowboys threaten Dez Bryant with the franchise tag. Bryant irritated and will almost certainly miss off season stuff if they do. Cap hit if they do is 13 million, meaning basically no shot at signing DeMarco Murray. How 'bout them Cowboys! {I cannot guess how this plays out, but seeing the Cowboys run their ship right back onto the rocks is always pleasant.}

Johnny Football could face lawsuit from Browns for failure to reveal that his middle name is College. More seriously, multiple Browns veterans seem to have no interest in having a starting QB who they say 'treated being in the NFL like a joke'. Can Manzeil and the Browns salvage anything out of this mess, or do they look for yet another QB? {My guess here is nothing can be salvaged}

ESPN has Tampa Bay picking Winston number one and the NFL Network has them taking Mariotta. Is either one right? Is one or both out of their minds? {My guess here is that the NFL Network is out of their minds and ESPN is right.}

Well, nobody even tackled Carson :mischief: . Murray there would be the thing they need IMO.

Got to get Dez first no matter what IMO. Murray is great... but I think a 'good' RB would do really well with that OL. After all... a 'Fred' is at Center :D .

Browns re-sign Hoyer probably :confused: .

I would pick Winston or trade out the pick for about 4 picks at least. If I could.
Glennon has a NFL arm... not so sure about the rest tho :scan: .
Jets probably trade their left one for a chance at Winston.
Who is QB for the Texans again?
What about the Bears? Fox didn't exactly back Cutler.
What about the Bills... Orton retired :lol: .

:crazyeye:

Johnny Football is a dud primarily because he is just not a good NFL quarterback and never had the skills to be one. His off field antics certainly do not help his cause but even if the guy was a hard worker I think he'd ultimately never reach the overrated levels people had him at. Even the 22nd pick was too high for him. But he's the perfect stooge for a poorly run franchise that wants to make a hopeful splash in the draft.

Read his "weaknesses" page--heck read the whole thing--on the NFL.com draft analysis. It reads like the grave-stone of so many college star QB's who failed in the NFL. "Too short, runs too much, can't see over the pocket, difficult to game plan for, throws it up in the air and depends on mismatched coverage..." oh but he magically pulls wins out of his hat. Reading the "strengths" bit is also telling since it is mostly a bunch of feel good baloney.

I realize I am late to the "let's dump on Johnny Football" party but it's timely thanks to the recent news and honestly, I do not think the partying will or was his ultimate undoing. He is just not a great QB. Maybe if he worked hard he could be Doug Flutie good, but never great.

Spoiler :
WEAKNESSES Has an unorthodox body type with marginal height, rounded shoulders and an underdeveloped body. Will need to learn to do a better job protecting his body and sliding. Feels pocket ghosts and often takes off running at the first flash of coverage. Undisciplined -- plays his own offense and presses to make plays. Cannot see over the pocket easily and almost never steps up into it, creating extra difficulties for OL coaches to coordinate blocking schemes and for offensive linemen to anticipate where the pocket will be. Dances around the pocket too much and creates needless sacks rolling into protection when the pocket is clean. Struggled vs. LSU and Missouri when he was forced to stay inside the pocket. Has not worked from under center, and footwork and set-up will require refinement. Often throws the ball up in the air and relies on big receivers to adjust to it and make plays, highly benefiting from the playmaking ability of a talented supporting cast featuring Mike Evans and an offensive line stocked with first-round talent. Tends to overshoot the deep ball and throw off his back foot, leading to some underthrows (too many dirtballs on the move) and diminished accuracy. Needlessly pats the ball when he scans the field. Could stand to do a better job carrying out play-action fakes. Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. Lacks ideal starting experience (only two years), operated a non-traditional offense and has a lot to learn.

I would pick Winston or trade out the pick for about 4 picks at least. If I could.
Glennon has a NFL arm... not so sure about the rest tho :scan: .
Jets probably trade their left one for a chance at Winston.
Who is QB for the Texans again?
What about the Bears? Fox didn't exactly back Cutler.
What about the Bills... Orton retired :lol: .

:crazyeye:

Glennon does seem to be a viable option to me, but I'm not sure you can get the windfall. Too many people too well aware of the Washington team's current woes after betting the farm.

The Jets, I would think, have to have recognized that there is no way injecting one QB into their soup sandwich of a team is going to turn it into a steak dinner. They need the picks more than they need Winston, even if Winston was a sure thing.

I expect the Texans to give Ryan Mullet a serious look. The Patriots of course screwed him right up the chute by holding him until all preparation for the season was complete and then dumping him to a team that would be forced to shove him in without any chance of being ready. With a full off season with the team he will be prepared, and he may turn out to be starter caliber.

Fox didn't back Cutler, but the reality in Chicago is that Cutler holds the mortgage on the QB house, so they can't afford to have anyone else living in it for the near term.

The Bills are a team that is ready, and if they can drop in a descent quarterback they could make a serious run at things. Maybe they would make a big trade, but if I were management I'd not really like the track record Rex has with young quarterbacks. I'd be more interested in a free agent or a trade for someone proven solid if not necessarily spectacular. Speaking of Texans, do the Raiders still have Matt Schaub under contract? He would be a good fit for Buffalo.

Well, nobody even tackled Carson :mischief: . Murray there would be the thing they need IMO.

The Curse of 370 says other teams should avoid Murray (392 carries) like the plague, and Dallas
should be very wary of giving him too much money or length in a new contract.

Got to get Dez first no matter what IMO. Murray is great... but I think a 'good' RB would do really well with that OL. After all... a 'Fred' is at Center :D .

Definitely.

Browns re-sign Hoyer probably :confused: .
If they do, it's because no one else wanted him. I had the impression Hoyer wanted
out in the worst way.

I'm not sure I'd take either Winston or Mariota #1 this year - give Glennon a real
chance to prove (or not) that could be the guy, and draft next year if need be.

FA is an even worse way to get a QB this year. FWIW.

I think it depends on Manziel's rehab. I still think he deserves a shot at starting. At worst he could pull a Tebow and the browns will sneak into the playoffs.

I think it depends on Manziel's rehab. I still think he deserves a shot at starting. At worst he could pull a Tebow and the browns will sneak into the playoffs.

At worst he could pull an RGIII and help the owner throw the team into another decade of chaos and disruption. I'd say that pulling a Tebow would be at best, or more realistically far beyond at best. Tebow pulled the Tebow in a division where 8-8 won the division. If the Browns go 8-8 in their division they will very possibly finish last.

At worst he could pull an RGIII and help the owner throw the team into another decade of chaos and disruption. I'd say that pulling a Tebow would be at best, or more realistically far beyond at best. Tebow pulled the Tebow in a division where 8-8 won the division. If the Browns go 8-8 in their division they will very possibly finish last.

8-8 is still an upgrade from previous years.

8-8 is still an upgrade from previous years.

No doubt. If they come up with a quarterback who can get them to 8-8 I think they should consider it a solid step above their perpetual 'rebuilding' state and into the 'establish some stability' state, even if 8-8 did finish last in their division. Unfortunately being the Browns the organization would probably call it a failure, fire the coach, draft a quarterback, and refuse to pay any free agent that was involved in it.

Cowboys threaten Dez Bryant with the franchise tag. Bryant irritated and will almost certainly miss off season stuff if they do. Cap hit if they do is 13 million, meaning basically no shot at signing DeMarco Murray. How 'bout them Cowboys! {I cannot guess how this plays out, but seeing the Cowboys run their ship right back onto the rocks is always pleasant.}

They are just playing a bit of hardball with Dez. If you can only keep one, then Dez is the one to keep. Often, trying to keep both in a situation like this is what runs your ship back into the rocks as you can't afford a supporting cast.

They are just playing a bit of hardball with Dez. If you can only keep one, then Dez is the one to keep. Often, trying to keep both in a situation like this is what runs your ship back into the rocks as you can't afford a supporting cast.

As in the end of the glory days, when E Smith, M Irvin, and T Aikman came into the backloaded parts of their contracts and the Cowboys needed everyone else to take league minimum just so they could have a full roster. Yeah, maybe they should just let Murray go. If they do sign them both and their contracts run parallel to Romo's they would eventually be in deep trouble. They might get in enough trouble just with Bryant's contract added to Romo's, because I think Romo is due a ton of money over the next few years already.

The woes of the Cowboys lighten my heart!

The end of the glory days for the Cowboys came because of a cut Jerry Jones made after the 2nd consecutive Super Bowl victory.

Right now, they are not in a bad position. Dez is young enough to justify his money and Romo will be gone before the Dez money gets too big. You can afford to carry one bloated contract at a time. They talked Jerry out of drafting Johnny Football, so maybe they will talk him into GMing a bit more wisely while he has a good, young offensive line.

So, franchise tag for Bryant to piss him off, leaving not much cap to negotiate with Murray...and today's rumor is that the Colts, who have a lot of cap space, are considering taking a run at him.

Well... can't they do that again next year if absolutely necessary?

They HAD to get Dez. What is left if you know for RB? :scan:

Well... can't they do that again next year if absolutely necessary?

They HAD to get Dez. What is left if you know for RB? :scan:

They are late in the draft, and there are a couple guys who could be worth a late first round pick. They might go with the draft. They also might manage to keep Murray, if they can pull off some sort of hometown discount marketing on him.

They can repeat tag him, but that's a hard road. This year his tag price is the average of the top five wide receivers. If they tag him again he would get the average again,or 120% of this year's salary, whichever is greater. The top five wide receiver average probably won't go up 20%, so repeat tagging puts the team even further behind.

I believe ole Jerry will give up his left one to keep Dez.

I do like the way Murray fought thru injuries and still played. Maybe they can keep both.

I believe ole Jerry will give up his left one to keep Dez.

I do like the way Murray fought thru injuries and still played. Maybe they can keep both.

Near as I can make out neither Dez nor his agent is interested in a left one. Jerry is unfortunately stuck with incentives that are bounded by the salary cap. I think you are right though, that Bryant is going to get a franchise buster contract that drives the Cowboys straight back to mediocrity.

Apparently the Bills are going to trade Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy straight-up. Am I the only one who thinks the Bills got fleeced on this? I mean, yes, Alonso had a torn ACL but he's had plenty of time to recover. Did the Bills really need yet another running back?

Do not question Rex Ryan's destruction of the Bills. Everything is going according to plan.

Top Bottom