Stealth Bombers...

Nashers

Chieftain
Please explain to me why I have stealth bombers being hit by city defenses that clearly cannot see stealth bombers. What's the point of "stealth"? Quite an dumb thing...

Just a balance thing I guess. It'd be annoying having stealth bombers be the only offensive unit past a certain point.

Just a balance thing I guess. It'd be annoying having stealth bombers be the only offensive unit past a certain point.

It's a STEALTH unit for god's sake. You don't see in the real world of them hitting it often. Only time I recall a B-2 Bomber being shot down is over Iraq when the bomb bay doors opened but they got lucky.

My point is that they shouldn't be hitting a stealth bomber so either rename it to Bomber Upgraded or make it actually a STEALTH bomber. That's all i have to say. lol

Urm.... stealth in real life isnt the stealth in computer games. Its not INVISIBLE, just harder to detect.

If they were intercepted less often, the cost of acquiring stealth bombers would have to rise dramatically--you'd be dealing with an airborne GDR. That would make for a more interesting game, though.

If they were intercepted less often, the cost of acquiring stealth bombers would have to rise dramatically--you'd be dealing with an airborne GDR. That would make for a more interesting game, though.

Sure, I get the balance concerns, but if there's nothing about the current implementation that in any way indicates "stealth", it should probably have another name. It would be like naming a land unit "Battleship", but then saying that it can't travel through water for balance reasons =P

Urm.... stealth in real life isnt the stealth in computer games. Its not INVISIBLE, just harder to detect.

Please list out the incidents of when they were shot down as often because right now, I haven't found a big list of stealth bombers being shot down. You cannot detect them at all unless they open up their bomb bay doors. Additionally, they have skins that absorbs the radar emmission. I don't understand their technology fully but also their engine doesn't generate much heat.

Again, it's STEALTH, at night, you almost never see them. List that too.

What's their chance of evasion right now?

Please list out the incidents of when they were shot down as often because right now, I haven't found a big list of stealth bombers being shot down. You cannot detect them at all unless they open up their bomb bay doors. Additionally, they have skins that absorbs the radar emmission. I don't understand their technology fully but also their engine doesn't generate much heat.

You are correct, the U.S. has never had a B-2 Spirit stealth bomber shot down. In fact, since entering service in 1999 only 1 B-2 bomber has been destroyed and even then it was due to engine failure shortly after takeoff rather than any combat related incident.

However, the cost of a stealth bomber in game is nowhere near what it would need to be if it were to actually have the same capabilities of a real stealth bomber. For example, that single B-2 that crashed in 2008 put us back $1.4 billion. The massive price-tag on the aircraft is the same reason that only 21 of them were built and are expected to remain in service until at least the year 2040.

It's radar stealth, if anything but a SAM is attacking, the stealth bit is pretty meaningless.

http://de-construct.net/?p=5317

Sorry, We didn’t Know it Was Invisible

On March 27 2009 Serbian Army’s legendary 250th Air Defence Missile Brigade celebrated the 10th anniversary of downing the pride of USAF, F-117A stealth bomber, designed to be invisible to the radars. The celebration was attended by Serbia’s top political and military leaders.

It's radar stealth, if anything but a SAM is attacking, the stealth bit is pretty meaningless.

On March 27 2009 Serbian Army’s legendary 250th Air Defence Missile Brigade celebrated the 10th anniversary of downing the pride of USAF, F-117A stealth bomber, designed to be invisible to the radars. The celebration was attended by Serbia’s top political and military leaders.

Omg, please tell me your joking... F-117A is so far out of the league that B-2 Spirit Bombers are in. F-117A are a fighter class, hence the "F", and additonally, it doesn't have the kind of skin that the B-2 Spirit Bomber has as the F-117A isn't meant to be completely invisible like B-2 but to bounce the radar signals in different direction to confuse the radar. Two complete different type of stealth technology there. :) Sorry, I had to clear that up.

As for the stealth bomber cost, they take a long time to construct in the game. I think that justifies it, perhaps a bit more as they're quite powerful and remove the ability to hit them.

The US currently is outteching the other civs. When Persia bulbs a few GS, they will be able to see our stealth bombers.

The F-117A isn't a stealth bomber. It falls under the category of a ground-attack aircraft because it cannot carry large ordinance and flies close air support. Although it is technically a stealth aircraft, they were never used for stealth based operations. On the other hand, a stealth bomber like the B-2 only conducts stealth operations at a strategic level. In other words, the F-117A used stealth for defensive purposes where as Stealth bombers use it for purely offensive purposes.

**EDIT** Nashers beat me to it, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-117_Nighthawk

"A televised documentary quoted a senior member of the F-117A development team as saying that the top-notch fighter pilots required to fly the new aircraft were more easily attracted to an "F" plane, as opposed to a "B" or "A" aircraft.[26]"

"According to NATO Commander Wesley Clark and other NATO generals, Yugoslav air defenses detected F-117s by operating their radars on unusually long wavelengths, making the aircraft visible to radar for brief periods."

It was shot down by 60s Soviet technology.

Just because a stealth plane has never been shot can you assume that it was because of it's "stealth".

Often times it is that the US already has air supremacy that allows the planes to fly unmolested.

I'm pretty sure the F-15 (since 1972) has never been shot down. Which is quite amazing considering the the huge numbers in service and for how long they have been around.

Why are ground units that aren't anti-aircraft guns capable of damaging aircraft doing bombing runs? It's very silly when those Infantry turns the rifles up to the sky and start shooting and my bomber lands with 1/3 of its health missing.

Ugh the stupidity of these replies forced me to create an account.

Have a majority of your army as jet fighters/bombers and helicopters for a ground army, make sure difficulty is decent, prince or above. Let them tech to make sure that they defend their lands with many anti-air guns. Now try flying your jet fighters to attack a city, make sure they are intercepted by anti-air, sams, etc. See what happens to your fighters and bombers.

Now get a stealth bomber and try it again. See what happens.

The F-117 is technically a bomber, not a fighter. It cannot carry the payload of a B-2, but it is used for precision bombing of ground targets, not as a dogfighter.

Why are ground units that aren't anti-aircraft guns capable of damaging aircraft doing bombing runs? It's very silly when those Infantry turns the rifles up to the sky and start shooting and my bomber lands with 1/3 of its health missing.

I agree if you only see them as some guys with rifles.
But try to se the unit as an infantry division who shuld have a AA-brigade

I agree if you only see them as some guys with rifles.
But try to se the unit as an infantry division who shuld have a AA-brigade

what, so longswordsman also have AA guns? and I thought the whole point of doing 1UPT was so that you couldn't combine every part of your army together so that one tile had every possible role.

Top Bottom