Roguelike on Erebus

Copper Golem

Goblin
Well... It is a bit late, than planed, about month or so, but whats done is done.
Here is 0.0.5_SaveFix_2 version. Still, It has old name. ;)
I'll put plans for 0.0.6 soon, and some vote for new name. :)

DOWNLOAD Link:

http://ffhtr.blogspot.com/

List of changes(all that I remember):
Changes and additions:
* Butchery (you can butcher defeated enemies, separating the limbs).
* Basic cooking, you can smoke meat on campfire.
* Pop-ups(adjusted to the size and font).
* Inventory has been changed. Here is lot of work to do, but now It is not so inscrutable as mysterious ancient Egyptian writings.And free slots, yes, free slots!
* Completely redesigned character creation.
* Helmets and boots, and gauntlets etc.
* Boots affects speed.
* Time and Date. We have 20 months, 18 days each in FFHtR.
* Merchants update their trade goods every month.
* Font changed. (looks a bit better).
Creatures with less than 4 INT can not talk (done as preparation for the domesticated animals, and possible troubles for PC and NPC). (Any animal who has more than 4 INT, got the ability to speak, but it's magical, animal, I think).
* Random encounters: Calculated on the fly, depending on the global map object zones of influence.
* Wild animals (predators) and domesticated animals (like cows etc).
* The dialogues got new commands:
-Ask character yes / no, check whether the player got specified amount of money or skill. give/ take money, heal for player, etc
* New colors for fonts.
* Unique creatures and treasure chests now in Res\Custom TXT files.
* Merchant profiles now in Res\Custom TXT files, too.
* New item class «MEDICINE» appeared. Medical potions, and all the remedies. (old style healing potions will disappear in new version).
* Healing potions now also have a cooldown, but less than magic.
* Cave generator – now it looks like caves and not like ant nest.
* It is possible to eat and drink without opening inventory. (it was easy ti implement, but so comfortable.)
* Basic Crafting (smoking meat, collecting plants etc).
* Satiation and hunger.
* Ranged weapons now works! Really!

Graphics:
New terrain tiles from XVs (goodsir). Game automatically makes map from tiles.
New goblin tileset from Toth.
Different tiles for classes and heroes. (well, we don’t have this tiles, but game can use them, if they would be! Anyone, knows pixelart? ;-) ).
Now FFHtR better using video memory. Drawing speed enchanted.

Perk:
Silent Echo - (Balreraph perk) your character share madness with his/here master.
Crazed – Lunatic perk. Gives leveled “Enraged” state in combat.
Gift of Succelus – elfs only perk, doesn’t give anything on start, but would be needed for different selectable perks and so on.
Gift of angels – humans only perk, doesn’t give anything on start, but would be needed for different selectable perks and so on.
Greedy – Khazad faction perk. Gives free Greed skill and bonus for this. Khazad carefully searching for money, so they’ll get additional worth for every coin they find, also, this perk affects different money related situations.
Bretteur – Character got nice bonuses to attack and defense when fighting only one creature at time (no more monsters nearby. Use harlequin high speed, corridors and Tricks to get it).
Fallow - (no need to eat and drink(also your character doesn’t need to drink in this version at all). (nobody start with this perk)
New Skill Class:
Concentration – character gains concentration while fighting and can use it for different combat moves.

Social – mercantile, greed etc.
Greed – check Greedy perk description.

New Skills in existing classes:
Hunting
Exploration – finding hidden locations on global map and enlarge exploration radius.
Camping – creates better camping sites. You will get more safe and better place, for example some food or ingredients.

Acrobatic
Circus tricks – harlequin skill, allows to jump and other acrobatic tricks. Character would be fatigued by using such skills and actions, right now it limitless. There is hidden variable , fatigue, but it doesn’t affects anything, right now.

New classes and changes in existing ones:
Lunatic – crazed warrior from Overlords asylum.
Harlequin – got circus tricks skill, that gives this class more control of combat tactics.
Hunter and thief – hunters starts with bow skill and thief stars with crossbow skill.
Also hunter has all “Hunting” skills.
New GUI, windows etc

Fixes (bugs and etc):
* Tech level determines not only the best possible material for item, but also poorest. It prevents low-end materials for advanced factions.
* Quality setting wasn’t used for merchants and treasure chests.
* Creature natural armor wasn’t used in combat.
* Sometimes screen flipping shows old screen data.
* Monsters “alarm” has been changed. Monsters from other side of the wall would not be alarmed and clutter pathfinding.
* Creature may get skills they are not allowed to have.
* Traveling from/ to global map/ local map doesn’t resets lockpicks and ammo.
* You still can shoot yourself, but now game will ask about it.
* You can leave map by “bumping” map borders.
* Message log showed old messages sometimes.
* Monsters couldn’t “caught” PC sometimes.
* Weapon/ armor rebalancing/ renaming etc.
* Balancing quality and material. (kipar).
* Skillpoints and experience were rebalanced. (kipar).
* The appearance «BLANC» item a thief.
* New corpses (for cooking, Bon appetite!).
* Found (and eliminated!) bug, when sidebar, at a resolution of 1024x768 occupied half the screen.
* Fixed typo with «you / your» messages in combat and couple of other minor typos.
* Player is no longer talking to the NPC like idiots, repeating his questions three times.
* Melee (brawling) is no longer such am IMBA as it was. Thus, the danger of low-level monsters dramatically decreased. (1,5 goblin will not dismantle the player in one stroke).
More advanced melee will be dangerous, but It is not available for every Tom, Dick and Harry.
* Message that the merchant don’t want to buy anything from player or visa versa. It was not obvious.
* Improved text windows.
* New system saves. You can select «softcore» =) gamemode.
* «V» menu is available wherever Its possible.
* Fixed freezing bugs.
=========

Good day friends!

I was working on roguelike in FFH universe for few years and now want to show this here.
It is more classic roguelike, and doesn`t have lot of features right know.
But I’ll try to develop it further.

It needs lot of technical work, but, the most important, I am staying right now in some sort of “storytelling blackout”.
So, any suggestions about legend, stories, sites, dungeons, creatures, skills and so on are highly valuable!

Sprites had been taken from Internet, using google, mostly from RPGmakes community and the same sources, so I can`t find names of most artists and really sorry for that. If you know some of them, please, write it here.

HOW TO START:
FFH using directX, so it works only with windows, as you can understand.

Game would automatically detect resolution and sprite size. If you wouldn't be satisfied by results, you can set it manually in config.cfg file.

Resolution configuration looks this way, I think, rather easy:
SCRX:1024;
SCRY:768;

Sprite config is a bit more come complicate, but allow you to tweak game screen as you like.
It looks like this
GRID_UNIT_SIZE_X:26;
GRID_UNIT_SIZE_Y:28;
For example, If you set resolution to 1024x768 and sprite size to 26x28, you would have:
1024/26 = 39 sprites on X line and 768x26 = 27 on Y.
Smaller sprite size would give bigger screen and so on, combine and find most comfortable combination.

It wouldn’t be hard for rogueliker to find out how to move, use side keys with NUM_LOCK set on.
You start game in the global map, in the big snow region with few objects of interest.
To the North you will see small hamlet, its friendly, until you are not playing Doviello.
When you enter local map (> key), You can turn on left side screen with keys help (TAB key), do it, if you play for the first time (you can also set SHOW_SIDE_INFO_SCREEN_ON_START:YES; in config.cfg)
There you can buy some stuff and talk to locals.
There are also 4 dungeons on the map, two goblin cave, nearby, doviello hunters fortpost, and, the most important, Broken Sepulcher dungeon, Southwest part of the global map.
There is Avatar of Death, his destruction means “win” for this version.

Game concepts:
Combat:

When one creature attacks another in close combat, It passes, literally three stages:

First (to hit stage), It passes skill check for strike attempt,
If It was successful, defender tries to dodge the attack, dodge chance modified by defenders dexterity, encumbrance, special skills and attackers weapon skill.
Then, if defender can’t dodge, He can block It with current weapon (unarmed blocking aren’t finished yet), It depends on defenders weapon skill and weapon balance.

Second (armor penetration)
If all this doesn’t help, armor comes to play, It can absorb the blow completely (There is no DV in FFH) or lower attacks penetration rating (not damage!).
Then, if armor can’t help, creature’s natural armor comes to play. It is not important for mortals like humans or elfs, but some nasty creatures can have strong hides.
Also, if armor absorbed the blow, but It wasn’t rigid armor (like platemale), but flexible (like chainmale or leather breastplate) and damage was really mighty (blunt weapons needs less damage rating for that) defender would be damaged a bit. Still, flexible armors are really lighter the rigid ones.

Third (damage).
If nothing helps, defenders bodypart suffers damage.
Weapon damage depends on attacker’s strength, weapon bonus and limited by weapon damage limit. It means that very strong person with knife will inflict more damage them weakling with battle axe, but can’t chop defender in two.
It could be severed away. PC has immunity for this, because I had found, that player will lose both hands before He reaches even level three of dungeon.
Critical damage to torso or head means death for any creature now. (no bleeding or pain yes, sorry)

INVENTORY:
Yes, I know, It is bit complicated, gonna fix it, when find out how. If you want to equip anything to your player you should select bodypart for this and press (enter).
You can equip items as from your backpack, as from ground. It would be useful, when you will find items that are too big or heavy for your backpack, but could be equipped by your PC.
For example, you found good armor and you have bad armor, then you press (enter) on your bad armor, It is too big for your knapsack, so Pc dropped it to the ground. Then you select your body and press (enter), then you select good armor, and, yes, now PC wears It.

Encumbrance:
If PC wear too many stuff, It would slows him, and decrease dodge.
Faction selection, until you select unplayable Doviello (added for NPC reaction test), doesn’t mean too much now. It changes mana affinity, race and profession you can select.

You can start as warrior (moroi for Calabim faction) or thief (harlequin for Balseraph) class for now.
Warrior has access to big selection of heavy weapon skills, both impact and blade.
Also, warriors has “beast of burden” skill, This skill allows them to wear heavy armor and making them less dependant of dodge.
Warrior and moroi nearly identical now (ability for soul consumption has been removed from this version).

Thief and harlequin have lockpicking skill, allows them to open chests in dungeon.
Still, thief has Dodge skill, that gives them bonus to dodge. This bonus doesn’t depend on encumbrance.
Harlequin has Evade skill, It give harlequin additional chance to dodge enemy attacks. This skill is really powerful, but It works limited number of times per turn (number depends on skill) and heavily depends on encumbrance.

Also, you can turn game to ASCII mode by pressing (+) or set GRAFIC:NO; in config.cfg.

You kow, I LOVE SLASH'EM roguelike.
You cannot go totally wrong if you would make similar things.
I would try to play tonight

How do I change the characters name?
Also, what language was this programed in?

Is it C,C++ or C# by any chance?

How do I change the characters name?

Well. :rolleyes: Frankly, becouse it needs lot of work for this, I was too lazy to do it. :blush:
It could be changed by regenerating new name.
It would try to make "Erebus-style" name, but now it has bad selection of examples(Res\Names), so sometimes it makes funny names.

Why don't you just add another step to allow the player to change his own name at will?
It should be fairly easy to do.

All you need to do is rewrite the code that reads from the afore mentioned text file into one that reads the line inputed on the screen.

If that were me, I would add a question.
Do you wish to change the name:
- Keep Current
- Generate New
- Enter Custom

And enter custom would have you enter the text and hit enter, than it would automatically overwrite any name generated before and return you to the afore mentioned question.

You could probably cannibalize a part of the code that reads the name from the file for this purpose.

BTW, any chance you will tell me what language you are using?
I have 8 years of experience with programing and when I see something like this my inner flame kind of lights up to know all about it. :)
I think you can relate to the feeling.

Also, since you are using text files for all the names and other entries, does that mean your program is essentially modable. In other words, if you did not specifically make some sort of limitations (like pre defining the file size to read in the code) it should be easy to add new names to the files and mod them my self.

Why don't you just add another step to allow the player to change his own name at will?
It should be fairly easy to do.

BTW, any chance you will tell me what language you are using?
I have 8 years of experience with programing and when I see something like this my inner flame kind of lights up to know all about it. :)

It is on Delphi using DX.
It would be easy, but need a portion of boring coding, becouse I'll need to invent a bicycle write console from scrath. Well, put in the plans for update. :rolleyes:

Didn't get it. It is sooo horrible? :blush:

Do you wish to change the name:
- Keep Current
- Generate New
- Enter Custom
Looks great! I' start working on this today!

It is on Delphi using DX.
It would be easy, but need a portion of boring coding, becouse I'll need to invent a bicycle write console from scrath. Well, put in the plans for update.
Too bad, had you used C or some of its derivatives I would have asked you for the source code to tinker with it for my self. :)

Didn't get it. It is sooo horrible?
Not at all, it's just that as a programmer, when ever I see an exe file my first impulse is to break it apart like Lego to see what makes it work.

Too bad, had you used C or some of its derivatives I would have asked you for the source code to tinker with it for my self. :)
Yes, but I am of that delphi lamers. ;)

Not at all, it's just that as a programmer, when ever I see an exe file my first impulse is to break it apart like Lego to see what makes it work.

Yep, I know that feeling very well!

Also, since you are using text files for all the names and other entries, does that mean your program is essentially modable. In other words, if you did not specifically make some sort of limitations (like pre defining the file size to read in the code) it should be easy to add new names to the files and mod them my self.
Yes it is! I focused on making game that could be modded with minimal sourse code changing. You can check Res folder, It is tottaly open for player to change nearly everything.

Well I don't know Delphi and how much it is different from C but the programing logic should work the same right? I mean the functions will have different names and all but a loop will be a loop and a conditional will be a conditional.

What I am saying is that if you ever need to brainstorm about anything I would love it if you came to this thread with it.

You kow, I LOVE SLASH'EM roguelike.
You cannot go totally wrong if you would make similar things.
I would try to play tonight

Yes, SLASH'EM is cool! But I don't know how SLASH'EM game play can fits FFH universe. :confused:

Well I don't know Delphi and how much it is different from C but the programing logic should work the same right? I mean the functions will have different names and all but a loop will be a loop and a conditional will be a conditional.

What I am saying is that if you ever need to brainstorm about anything I would love it if you came to this thread with it.

Well yes. It is not the same, but I was reading C and C++ code to learn some algoritms and din't feel any troubles in this.
Thanx for brainstorm offer! IT would be useful, becouse mostly all troubles hides in logical errors and algoritms than pure coding.

Yes, SLASH'EM is cool! But I don't know how SLASH'EM game play can fits FFH universe. :confused:

I only think that it is a great source of "technical" ideas - how to fight, how to conduct magic, levelling up etc. Also, IIRC, it is open-coded, not like the ADOM game.

Of course setting must be totally different - I will look at your game in the next 12 hours...
and then I let you know about my feelings

I only think that it is a great source of "technical" ideas - how to fight, how to conduct magic, levelling up etc. Also, IIRC, it is open-coded, not like the ADOM game.

Of course setting must be totally different - I will look at your game in the next 12 hours...
and then I let you know about my feelings

Don't wait too much ;) It is humble alpha stage roguelike yet. :rolleyes:

Just cannot play now... when I will have some spare time (at night) I'll try it. Anyway, sounds interesting

PPQ_Purple It took about 20 min to make custom name selection! Specially for you, thanx!

Just cannot play now... when I will have some spare time (at night) I'll try it. Anyway, sounds interesting

Ups! I wanted to write, don't expect too much. ;)

Oh...
Jar, the Calabim moroi has died in his first fight :(
It was in smelly cave, I got surrounded by enemies and killed in a moment

Oh...
Jar, the Calabim moroi has died in his first fight :(
It was in smelly cave, I got surrounded by enemies and killed in a moment

Do you know what it was?
Imbalanced agility bonus to speed.
Agility affected creatures speed with inadequate efficiency. Even 2-3 additional point in Agility gives agile creatures tremendous bonus in speed and great advantage against slower opponents (Thats why this puny goblins were so mighty).

Just made a HotFox 0.0.4d1.
Agility speed bonus lowered about ten times and now looks adequate. Dodge bonus remains unchanged, because looks good.

Some comments:
1. it is hard for mi to comment it right now, because this game lacks the things that I like most in roguelikes: a lot of options and full description of everything, along with detailed instructions and big collection of minute spoilers.
2. It seems to be a good frame for a future game.
3. I do not like 2 things (entirely personal feelings):
a) some locations are too big (and almost empty) - like village near to the starting point
b) I could not kill all the miners. WHY???? I love a "freedom" rogulikes give me - that I can attack eall and every creature, even if it makes game unwinable. There could, of course, be very nasty results of killing people, but I want that possibility. I just had an urge to backstab blacsmith and to slash puny miners...

unfortunately, i do not remember what killed me. I do rememberm that there was many of them... I take my move to the right (they were at my left) and I never get a chance to move again...

Some comments:
1. it is hard for mi to comment it right now, because this game lacks the things that I like most in roguelikes: a lot of options and full description of everything, along with detailed instructions and big collection of minute spoilers.
Well, It is too young right now, and lot of things are hidden.
Can you tell what type of description are needed? Ingame popap help? Maybe manual? It is hard to do everything in one moment, but I can focus on something important! ;)
2. It seems to be a good frame for a future game.
Thax! As I wrote before, I feel myself a bit frustrated right now, and because of this, any suggestions are highly valuable!
3. I do not like 2 things (entirely personal feelings):
a) some locations are too big (and almost empty) - like village near to the starting point
It wouldn't be! It is miners town, so. Miners, elder, guard, hunters. Some livestock at the northwest part (when animals would be finished). Who else can live there?
b) I could not kill all the miners. WHY???? I love a "freedom" rogulikes give me - that I can attack eall and every creature, even if it makes game unwinable. There could, of course, be very nasty results of killing people, but I want that possibility. I just had an urge to backstab blacsmith and to slash puny miners...
You are right! Everybody should be allowed to kill!
It is not prohibited to kill them, also, you can use magic or bow to attack them and they wouldn't react at all. Because Crime&Punishment aren't finished yet.
They aren't moving, because they don't have special peaceful AI and player belongs to friendly faction.
If you will start game as Doviello or goblin and try to enter Hallowell, you'll see that dwarfs aren't static. ;-)
Also, Krambur are really tough guy, It wouldn't be easy to kill him. :)

unfortunately, i do not remember what killed me. I do rememberm that there was many of them... I take my move to the right (they were at my left) and I never get a chance to move again...
Goblins, maybe? Hmm, I think they are fixed now?
If you will travel to Broken Sepulcher, you can meet really badass undead at lower levels. ;-)

I just noticed something that really, really, really upset me beyond any words.
When you die, the game deletes your save game. Hence your character is dead, forever.

That just ruined a game for me... 2 hours of work down the drain...

I just noticed something that really, really, really upset me beyond any words.
When you die, the game deletes your save game. Hence your character is dead, forever.

That just ruined a game for me... 2 hours of work down the drain...

I believe this is standard procedure in roguelike games.
You can cope with this by saving game and manually coping a save to another catalogue (if not, the standard roguelike game will remove save after loading it).
But hardcore roguelike players consider this cheating. It is called "savescumming" if I remember correctly

Top Bottom